Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.1 Presidential Campaign Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
    You see, when I use humour you respond with light insults. I am not frustrated at all.
    I agree. Vlad, I appreciate these are challenging discussions, but Nikolay is one of our top chess people in Canada, period, and he is voicing concerns in as healthy a way as a differing opinion could be expressed. At least that's how I'm reading his posts. Let's refrain from insult-jokes (I guess except maybe self-deprecating ones)

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Jung-Doknjas View Post
    I think the lesson learned here is, if anyone has a great idea, reach out to the CFC Executives with your proposal. If it's a win-win proposition (maybe I should add win-win-win to include the Canadian Chess Community), then likely this "can-do" group will help make it happen.

If a new CFC President is going to grind things down to a stand still filled with bureaucracy, that is not something to look forward to.

The CFC has limited finances thus it should look for tenders/bids for those wonderful ideas. That was my stance during the Exec discussions on your proposals. However, at the end it is only my single vote.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
    My point was that Vlad claimed that the CFC is responsible for doing and organizing a great many things during the pandemic. They haven't.
    Recently the CFC approved the bid for the National Online junior championship. I hope the details will be released soon.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Recently the CFC approved the bid for the National Online junior championship. I hope the details will be released soon.
    Youth not Junior.

What should be noted is that this event is not being called the Canadian Online Youth Chess Championship, as we felt acquiring that title would require a notification for other potential bidders.

Default Mahmud for President (My Platform)

Dear Voting Members;

Further to my two Zoom sessions with you, here is my platform. Based on my outside experience with Rotary International and the NFP sector, I think the CFC needs to be “updated”, for lack of a better term.

First, I propose the establishment of 3 commissions:

We need an Online Commission and that includes online play, online messaging, and live online meetings. The technology for meetings is there. I appreciate and value that Vlad and others have started work on this frontier, and he is the first to come to mind as chair for this commission.

Next, I am calling for the Arbiters' Commission. This replaces the National Appeals Committee and it will be assigned with training, educating and certifying arbiters, in addition to its traditional role with national appeals.

Finally, I am calling for an Ethics Commission. We know that every decision has the capacity to present ethical dilemmas, real or perceived. The CFC will be a better organization for having an Ethics Commission.

These three commissions, I believe, are foundational. Other commissions such Fundraising, Events, etc. will flow from them.

Second, I am calling for creating a Strategic Plan, which is a living document. We need to check with it at least twice a year, not left dormant. I specifically call for creating our Mission, Vision and Values, which must be front and centre on our website. From experience, the last one (values) is easily neglected and this is dangerous. From our values comes a Code of Conduct for our membership. For example, as long as I am an officer of the CFC, I must conduct myself 24/7 in respect to the CFC values anywhere, including online.

This will not create a bureaucracy! We are doing many things well. With your support, I believe we can do better.
    Feel free to contact me here.

Best regards,
    Mahmud
    Last edited by Mahmud Hassain; 08-18-2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: remove private contact information

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    The CFC has limited finances thus it should look for tenders/bids for those wonderful ideas. That was my stance during the Exec discussions on your proposals. However, at the end it is only my single vote.
    100% agree. I am glad that we have you in the executive, Egis.

"Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Youth not Junior.

What should be noted is that this event is not being called the Canadian Online Youth Chess Championship, as we felt acquiring that title would require a notification for other potential bidders."

I don't see why having a notification for other potential bidders would be a bad thing. The more tournaments and organizers, the better. Even if only online.

I think, in a perfect world CFC should organize, initiate events to take place. Not just give approval to organizers that decide to take initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    Dear Voting Members;

Next, I am calling for the Arbiters' Commission. This replaces the National Appeals Committee and it will be assigned with training, educating and certifying arbiters, in addition to its traditional role with national appeals.

Best regards,
    Mahmud
    France has both an NAC and an Arbiter Commission. You seems to underestimate the duties of the Arbiters' Commission. Even though the NAC rarely take action, when it does, it tends to be significant and have a lasting effect.

I strongly support the Arbiter's Commission, but I am not certain that it should be replace the NAC, Furthermore, it should have more members then the NAC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    Dear Voting Members;

Further to my two Zoom sessions with you, here is my platform. Based on my outside experience with Rotary International and the NFP sector, I think the CFC needs to be “updated”, for lack of a better term.

First, I propose the establishment of 3 commissions:

We need an Online Commission and that includes online play, online messaging, and live online meetings. The technology for meetings is there. I appreciate and value that Vlad and others have started work on this frontier, and he is the first to come to mind as chair for this commission.
    We have an online commission which is looking at online play and questions of fair play.

I don't think we need commissions on the other things. I think we will try a zoom quarterly meeting, probably the next one though we will have to get a zoom subscription for the CFC for that to work. No need for a commission. We try it and if the voting members like it we do more of it. We have discussed messaging solutions with vendors but they seem pricey at the moment and are more geared to the needs of organizers than the CFC as a whole. There are a few competitors that are interesting and don't offer as many options but are a lot cheaper than the full service solution which most sports organizations pay for through sponsors. There may be some tie-ins with GoMembership which is advancing nicely thanks to more volunteers.

We are getting more volunteers but if you try to get too many commissions going at once you may stretch things too thin. Most voting members are successful people who are busy and may not have the time to populate all these committees and commissions.

I would prefer to use the FIDE infrastructure rather than trying to set up our own. We don't want additional red tape to discourage organizers. Currently the National Appeals Committee may include some non-arbiters. Would this new entity include non-arbiters?

Finally, I am calling for an Ethics Commission. We know that every decision has the capacity to present ethical dilemmas, real or perceived. The CFC will be a better organization for having an Ethics Commission.
    I would be careful with the ethics commission as this is an area where you could run into legal consequences which you want to minimize.

These three commissions, I believe, are foundational. Other commissions such Fundraising, Events, etc. will flow from them.

Second, I am calling for creating a Strategic Plan, which is a living document. We need to check with it at least twice a year, not left dormant. I specifically call for creating our Mission, Vision and Values, which must be front and centre on our website. From experience, the last one (values) is easily neglected and this is dangerous. From our values comes a Code of Conduct for our membership. For example, as long as I am an officer of the CFC, I must conduct myself 24/7 in respect to the CFC values anywhere, including online.

This will not create a bureaucracy! We are doing many things well. With your support, I believe we can do better.
    Feel free to contact me here.

Best regards,
    Mahmud
    We have a strategic plan and we have one of the voting members working on a new one but it is a long slog for someone doing it on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I would be careful with the ethics commission as this is an area where you could run into legal consequences which you want to minimize.
    An Ethic Commission is a way to reduce litigation, it demonstrates to the guilty players that the best practices have been followed.

Insurance against Errors and Omission of the CFC Directors, Officers and Commission members is the best way to protect ourselves from lawsuits and the FQÉ can give us such insurance at a great discount. There are other ways, such as having a written Appeal Policy for decisions of the Board of Directors, Officers and Commissions, but they are Constitutional changes that could be hard to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I would prefer to use the FIDE infrastructure rather than trying to set up our own. We don't want additional red tape to discourage organizers. Currently the National Appeals Committee may include some non-arbiters. Would this new entity include non-arbiters?
    I do not believe that FIDE will ever decide how many level of arbiters are needed by the local reality. Furthermore, FIDE has only one Official Language : English. I have been lecturing FQÉ LTD for many years and I never received anything in French from FIDE. Not a single PowerPoint slide (I prefer LibreOffice impress slides), not a single text, absolutely nothing useful for lecturing LTD in French.

I am currently finalizing the content of the first ever FQÉ RTD seminar that should begin in September, ounce again, without any FIDE support. The main subject of the RTD is Swiss Pairings and I have never seen teaching material in French on the SPP web site.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast