Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.1 Presidential Campaign Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Now isn't that amazing. Recruiting a committee before you have won the election.
    You have completely missed the point Vlad. Too often we have ideas but no one to do the work. Mahmud's volunteer is willing to chair the Ethics commission if that suits.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    You have completely missed the point Vlad. Too often we have ideas but no one to do the work. Mahmud's volunteer is willing to chair the Ethics commission if that suits.
    Mahmud's volunteer also volunteered to me yesterday and congratulated me on my victory though I told him that was a tad bit premature.

I don't usually crow about every volunteer. There have been more of them lately.

Default Yes and no

What I can add to the above is that whoever hacked the email did so at the airport by Hal's report to the exec. This type of a targeted attack is probably way above the pay grade of the person Hal blames for everything. I would have said FSB and not KGB as the latter died with the Soviet Union. And yes, I was concerned for Hal's life if he travelled to some of these foreign countries where life is often cheap and guilty parties can disappear into a crowd. When this was going on, I backed Hal 100% and offered to partake in an all out offensive on social media which would lead to publicity, possible embarassment, and hopefully justice in the matter of Hal's lost revenues for the lost event and clearing his name. He did not wish to proceed in that manner.
    Mostly correct. I was doing my utmost to solve problems without a public scandal. I don't buy the hacker story though.

They also could have gotten the email from a member of the executive but everyone assured me that this didn't happen which leaves the airport. I know most of the executive for many years and none of executive have ever lied to me so it is unlikely that they would start here. This is the anomaly in the whole story which needs to be explained by Colombo or Poirot in order to decide who is really behind this campaign against Hal at the end of the movie. This is a question that cannot be answered here but must be answered in Europe and possibly Russia where we can't chase it.

With regard to the five year waiting period, it sounds like something that might be frowned upon by what used to be called the competition act. That issue arose right at the point in time that I tore my Achilles tendon in a chess class of all places. I completed the class as my co-instructor had to take that week off but I was in a lot of pain and even sitting at a computer was a great strain. I spent most of those two weeks with my leg elevated.
    Your view of FIDE's 5 year rule is irrelevant. What about the apparent willful deceit? What was done about that?

The flaw in Hal's approach is that he waited until three months before the AGM and then wanted to ram something through in a way that was not supported by the approach in the CFC bylaw nor the NFP act which was also available. He wanted to use a clause that referred to officers appointed by the board or president. The officer was elected. If you come to a decision that is not based on the established procedure it can be easily challenged even in small claims court which would be a bit more of a problem due to the pandemic. I am not afraid to go to court. I always win whether it has been an adjudication on an employment matter, an eviction, or a small claims action. I always have won even in a case where the opposing side had one of the best lawyers in Windsor because I have been prepared and I usually have not done anything wrong. I have even been involved in an internet defamation case before the law had been fully formed circa 2001. I wrote all the pleadings, the lawyer modified them slightly and said they were great stuff. But I digress... .
    NO. I finally got tired of being bumped so I pressed everyone to deal with this problem.

I am not afraid to go to court when I am in the right and I can prove it. I would not want to go to court if I have not done everything by the book as a famous politician is alleged to have said in a famous memo.

I always know where the line is and thus try not to cross it. Hal has lost perspective here. He has been through hell but it can't be fixed by involving the CFC in a potentially devastating lawsuit. I am told that all of this is what this election is really about.
    There you go again! Our attackers will sue us if we complain. Brilliant!

Blog Entries

I apologize to those who are confused by this thread. Some want it to be confusing so that there can be some implication of impropriety. Fred's explanation is the best summary of why this situation of an election came to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Certainly the Voting Members should have transparency in those cases where any action is taken. In this case no action was taken. While the majority of the Executive voted for an action, President Vlad Drkulec declined to move forward after seeking legal advice from Les Bunning, our long time lawyer. As one of the original movers, I subsequently conferred with Les and then agreed that it was not in the best interests of the CFC to move forward. There is nothing else to be said at this point.

Sometimes the Executive can be too close to the situation and if we had an Ethics Committee in place this would have been the perfect use for it, and perhaps the first case in 15 years. Having said that, I think we can put this (staffing such a committee) on the agenda for the next Quarterly meeting.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-21-2020 at 09:08 PM.

Blog Entries

I ask you for your vote.

I believe that I have been a good president. My opponent and his campaign staff have conceded that point. They offer up some vague complaints that do not stand up on closer examination.

The highlights of my seven years as president

1) Tireless promoter of chess, with stories on CBC, CTV, CBC radio, Globe and Mail, National Post Windsor Star, Montreal Gazette, Guardian, Gauntlet, Toronto Star and many more
    2) continuation under the Canada Not For Profit Act (NFP) in 2014 working with the governors to reach compromise
    3) continued surpluses for all seven years 2013 through 2020
    4) recognized by the Canadian Olympic Committee as the national sporting federation for chess in Canada.
    5) Attended the conferences of Sport Tourism Canada and revolutionized the way we find communities for our large events.
    6) Taken our first steps into online play
    7) Implemented GoMembership a platform for payments and memberships

My opponent asks you to believe that he offers a vision for the future of chess in Canada but he only says that he will enlist you to provide that vision.

He has no plan.

Vague slogans and buzzwords without meaning are not a strategy.

He has not been involved in the CFC previously but thinks that he is qualified to start his contribution at the top as president.

The two Zoom meetings did not inspire anyone with confidence. I did not attend but received multiple reports from those who did.

I will concede that Mahmud is a nice guy when he isn't running against me.
    He and his surrogates were not so nice in this campaign.

I think most voting members are much smarter than Mahmud and his campaign give them credit for.

I ask you for your vote.
    With my thanks,

Vladimir Drkulec
    President, Chess Federation of Canada
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-22-2020 at 11:23 AM.

I am not affiliated with either candidates. Voting result as of this morning:
    - Vlad: 24
    - Mahmud: 17
    - Signed in VMs: 47

There are 6 VMs that have not voted yet, Vlad is leading by 7 votes...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    I am not affiliated with either candidates. Voting result as of this morning:
    - Vlad: 24
    - Mahmud: 17
    - Signed in VMs: 47

There are 6 VMs that have not voted yet, Vlad is leading by 7 votes...
    I'm not so sure that having the results of the voting available while the election is going on is the best way of doing business, but in a sense it mirrors Federal elections. However campaigning while the election is going on is also questionable. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe next year or at a Quarterly meeting we can try a real-time technology.

Blog Entries

I'm not so sure that having the results of the voting available while the election is going on is the best way of doing business, but in a sense it mirrors Federal elections. However campaigning while the election is going on is also questionable. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe next year or at a Quarterly meeting we can try a real-time technology.
    You get into human rights and free speech problems if you try to suppress that. Obviously if my opponent is campaigning and trying to sway voters, I have to do the same.

Federal elections and corporate elections are completely different. During a Federal election, the parliament is dissolved and the MP cannot use their paid by the citizens local office to run for reelection. That would be unfair to non-MP who do not have an office paid by the citizens.

In a corporate election, the board of directors is never dissolved. I know only one defunct organization that systematically voted the dissolution of the Board of directors at the AGM, but such vote is null and void. The Government, especially the CRA, wants no corporation to be without a Board of directors, even for one millisecond. It would not be funny if CRA demands money from a corporation without any director that could be held personally responsible. That is why directors are responsible until they have been replaced.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the Law that forbids campaigning while the Voting Booths are opened and even worse, nothing forbids an officer from using the Power of his Office while the Voting Booths are opened. It is for the VM to set the rules, otherwise everything goes. We should not rely on the good faith of everybody. I remember very well the president of a Quebec not-for-profit, distributing assistance checks to VM on the election day. The payments have been approved before by the directors, but the directors never order to make the payment during the elections. Such payment can easily be perceived as a bribery. Nevertheless, there could be urgent decisions that need to be taken while the Voting Booths are opened, this is another reason for maintaining the officers in office.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    This is as much detail as I can provide at this point.
    Unfortunately, Voting Members are kept in the dark - we're getting only bits and pieces of what is happening behind closed doors...

I had a feeling that this campaign is an extension of the last FIDE elections - Dvorkovich vs. Makropoulos.
    Thank you, Hal, for confirming that!

Every Voting Member could compare what FIDE is doing during last 2 years and before that and make his own conclusion - which leadership is better for chess.
    But 2 years ago Canada publicly endorsed Makropoulos.
    Probably now it's a good time to admit that was a mistake which didn't improve image of Canada at international chess scene and move on.

Hal, if you remember, when you was elected FIDE Representative in 2009, I told you that don't know anybody in Canada who is more suitable for this position than you.
    Thank you for serving Canadian chess community in this capacity for 11 years!
    You're still one of the best chess arbiters and organizers in Canada.
    I'm confident - when the pandemic ends you will organize and direct many more excellent chess events.

But time flies, and maybe we just need a new FIDE Representative?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast