Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.1 Presidential Campaign Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    When did I oppose it? I only said you have to be careful in response to suggestions the committee would be above the board. Nice bit of misdirection.
    I believe that you should read again Article 158 of the NFP Act. There is nothing there that prevent putting the Ethics Committee above the board as you say. There are many or in the Law.

158 The articles or by-laws may provide that the directors, the members or any committee of directors or members of a corporation have power to discipline a member or to terminate their membership. If the articles or by-laws provide for such a power, they shall set out the circumstances and the manner in which that power may be exercised.

The discipline of the members could be the responsibility of any of the following, the VM have to choose.

• The directors,
    • the members,
    • a committee of directors
    • a committee of members

But we must remember that for an Ethics violation, suspension or termination of the membership is not the most usual punishment. Also note that the Law is silent on the appeal procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    I believe that you should read again Article 158 of the NFP Act. There is nothing there that prevent putting the Ethics Committee above the board as you say. There are many or in the Law.

158 The articles or by-laws may provide that the directors, the members or any committee of directors or members of a corporation have power to discipline a member or to terminate their membership. If the articles or by-laws provide for such a power, they shall set out the circumstances and the manner in which that power may be exercised.

The discipline of the members could be the responsibility of any of the following, the VM have to choose.

• The directors,
    • the members,
    • a committee of directors
    • a committee of members

But we must remember that for an Ethics violation, suspension or termination of the membership is not the most usual punishment. Also note that the Law is silent on the appeal procedure.

The By-laws give the power to the Board of directors, (these days Execs), to discipline the member.

"Member Discipline

The board shall have authority to suspend or expel any member from the Corporation for any one or more of the following grounds:"

In principle the Ethics Committee could have a lot of power:

"Committees of the Board of Directors

The board may from time to time appoint any committee or other advisory body, as it deems necessary or appropriate for such purposes and, subject to the Act, with such powers as the board shall see fit. Any such committee may formulate its own rules of procedure, subject to such regulations or directions as the board may from time to time make. Any committee member may be removed by resolution of the board of directors."

I don't see in current By-Laws that Voting Members have any influence to discipline members. It would go through a voting procedure changing By-Laws.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    I don't see in current By-Laws that Voting Members have any influence to discipline members. It would go through a voting procedure changing By-Laws.
    My point was that it could be changed. The bylaws are no longer online on our site, but what you quoted is more permissive than what is in the Law, which does not mean that it is not permitted.

Dear Voting Members
    You have entrusted me with the honour of representing our country in FIDE since 2009. Your trust in me is a gift and I cherish it. Like many of you, I have dedicated my adult life to chess and its governance.

I have been battling despair, disillusionment and outrage since the 4 incidents I mentioned earlier. The story is so over the top that it is difficult to process. FIDE told me that if I spoke up I would create a scandal which would be my fault. Vlad even warned me that my life could be in danger from the KGB.

Big boys don’t cry, but I have been hurt by these attacks. My injuries have been made MUCH worse by the fact that the CFC Executive fails to understand that these attacks were also against the sovereign Federation that we serve. I cannot take it any more. I need closure and you deserve the truth.

I have not been very strategic about this because it is too close to my heart. I apologize for my lousy timing. This story is an emotional plea for a strategic course correction, no matter who our next President is.

The bribe came right after the Batumi election in 2018. I had just received word that I was kicked out of the WCC match in London. A letter was sent to our Exec from the offender, trashing my performance in Batumi and praising himself. The bribe to replace me was alluded to in the letter and followed up more explicitly in a phone conversation with our President Vlad. Of course the offer was not even considered but the attempt was clear.

Within a few days, as I pursued my contract rights relative to the London match, I learned that I had apparently authored an anti - Semitic article which had offended the FIDE President. I challenged FIDE to show me the article but they refused.

So I went subterranean, even burnt a few bridges, and found the document. The article was my departing email to our Executive from Batumi. It was somehow obtained, altered to distort my message, and circulated to the Presidential Board.

Here is the forgery:

10/05 e-mail of Canada's delegate Hal Bond to the CFC Board of Directors: "

_Dear Executive My 37 hour journey home starts in 3.5 hours. No place like home!

Makro was as brilliant as always during the remaining agenda matters. He is a towering figure over new dwarfs. His parting words urged AD not to go down the road of exclusion and cronyism, bribery and state influence which characterized the campaign. Makro was very proud of his clean campaign against the joint forces of Putin, Zionism, Kasparov, USA etc.

The new junta does have a steep learning curve ahead and I am not optimistic. AD’s people are haters and most are also clueless. They don't appreciate any of us who served FIDE under Macro's enlightened leadership. More later Hal

This is what I actually wrote:
    Dear Executive My 37 hour journey home starts in 3.5 hours. No place like home!

Makro was a brilliant Chair during the remaining agenda matters and this was appreciated by all. His parting words were a tad sharp- urging AD not to go down the road of exclusion and cronyism bribery and state influence which characterized the campaign. Makro was very proud of his clean campaign against Putin, Kasparov, USA etc.

The new regime does have a steep learning curve ahead and I choose to be optimistic. But there are haters among AD’s people and some who are also clueless. I do not include Arkady in this number so I hope his leadership prevails.
    More later, Hal

I immediately forwarded this evidence to FIDE and they promised to investigate. No one was identified, but I was appointed as Chief Arbiter for the 2019 Women’s Candidates Tournament in Kazan. (one more post coming)

Part 2:
    In August 2019 came the next two incidents, during the FIDE Arbiters’ Commission (ARB) meeting at the World Youth Rapid and Blitz in Belarus if, I remember well. The ARB received a letter from the Russian Chess Fed, trashing me for my job at the Women‘s Candidates, and making claims that were contrary to email evidence. It also contained a plug for some new Arbiter training initiatives which are well known to the ARB. The letter was disputed and rejected at the meeting. It was still a libellous, malicious act. The author was not at the tournament and I am told speaks little English. He is a known associate of our offender.

At this same meeting, a letter from the CFC to the FIDE Presidential Board was also presented. This letter requested an exemption from the “5 year time served” clause for an upgrade in Arbiter certification to level B so the offender could be eligible for higher level tournaments and FIDE Lectures.

This was agreed between Vlad and the offender without my knowledge. When I asked Vlad about it, he told me that he was given the impression that I supported it. Had Vlad come to me first, as he should have done, I would have taken it to our Executive. This is a Federation decision not an individual one. To Vlad’s credit, a letter of retraction was written to the Presidential Board at the behest of our Executive.

It is not so easy not appreciate the gravity of this queue jumping attempt if you are not an Arbiter. If Aris is available maybe he can speak to this stunt. Aris is the past secretary of the ARB and has been invited back to work with the ARB education team. He is Canada’s top Arbiter, and the newest addition to the USCF Ethics Commission(!) BTW congrats Aris.

So that’s it. This is as much detail as I can provide at this point. Thanks for your patience.

I was Secretary of the FIDE Arbiters' Commission in 2014-2018. During my tenure, I confirm that I never heard of any Arbiter ever asking for an exemption to the "5 year clauses" required for Arbiter Category promotion. But then again, we would never have expected such a request, the regulations simply have such clauses.

To be frank with you, I can also add that during these last two years, as I have many personal connections within FIDE, that I happen to hear a lot of things. And to my chagrin, I also get teased quite a bit by international colleagues about this Canadian offender. Vlad and I do have a respectful working relationship, and I have often expressed privately my concerns regarding potential controlling influence from outside the CFC Executive. It's not right, and as we can now see here this week, it has led to probably the greatest divisiveness we have seen within the CFC in a truly long time. At some point, someone has to make things right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Aren't you a little late to the party Vlad? Mahmud had already recruited a lawyer to chair the Ethics Commission before he proposed it.
    Now isn't that amazing. Recruiting a committee before you have won the election.

Blog Entries

What I can add to the above is that whoever hacked the email did so at the airport by Hal's report to the exec. This type of a targeted attack is probably way above the pay grade of the person Hal blames for everything. I would have said FSB and not KGB as the latter died with the Soviet Union. And yes, I was concerned for Hal's life if he travelled to some of these foreign countries where life is often cheap and guilty parties can disappear into a crowd. When this was going on, I backed Hal 100% and offered to partake in an all out offensive on social media which would lead to publicity, possible embarassment, and hopefully justice in the matter of Hal's lost revenues for the lost event and clearing his name. He did not wish to proceed in that manner.

They also could have gotten the email from a member of the executive but everyone assured me that this didn't happen which leaves the airport. I know most of the executive for many years and none of executive have ever lied to me so it is unlikely that they would start here. This is the anomaly in the whole story which needs to be explained by Colombo or Poirot in order to decide who is really behind this campaign against Hal at the end of the movie. This is a question that cannot be answered here but must be answered in Europe and possibly Russia where we can't chase it.

With regard to the five year waiting period, it sounds like something that might be frowned upon by what used to be called the competition act. That issue arose right at the point in time that I tore my Achilles tendon in a chess class of all places. I completed the class as my co-instructor had to take that week off but I was in a lot of pain and even sitting at a computer was a great strain. I spent most of those two weeks with my leg elevated.

The flaw in Hal's approach is that he waited until three months before the AGM and then wanted to ram something through in a way that was not supported by the approach in the CFC bylaw nor the NFP act which was also available. He wanted to use a clause that referred to officers appointed by the board or president. The officer was elected. If you come to a decision that is not based on the established procedure it can be easily challenged even in small claims court which would be a bit more of a problem due to the pandemic. I am not afraid to go to court. I always win whether it has been an adjudication on an employment matter, an eviction, or a small claims action. I always have won even in a case where the opposing side had one of the best lawyers in Windsor because I have been prepared and I usually have not done anything wrong. I have even been involved in an internet defamation case before the law had been fully formed circa 2001. I wrote all the pleadings, the lawyer modified them slightly and said they were great stuff. But I digress...

I am not afraid to go to court when I am in the right and I can prove it. I would not want to go to court if I have not done everything by the book as a famous politician is alleged to have said in a famous memo.

I always know where the line is and thus try not to cross it. Hal has lost perspective here. He has been through hell but it can't be fixed by involving the CFC in a potentially devastating lawsuit. I am told that all of this is what this election is really about.

[QUOTE=Hal Bond;34793]Part 2:

This was agreed between Vlad and the offender without my knowledge. When I asked Vlad about it, he told me that he was given the impression that I supported it. Had Vlad come to me first, as he should have done, I would have taken it to our Executive. This is a Federation decision not an individual one.

WOW!
    This is dysfunctional.
    The president must always go to the executive.

Respectfully,
    Mahmud

Default Wow!

[QUOTE=Hal Bond;34792]Dear Voting Members

Vlad even warned me that my life could be in danger from the KGB.

The bribe came right after the Batumi election in 2018. I had just received word that I was kicked out of the WCC match in London. A letter was sent to our Exec from the offender, trashing my performance in Batumi and praising himself. The bribe to replace me was alluded to in the letter and followed up more explicitly in a phone conversation with our President Vlad. Of course the offer was not even considered but the attempt was clear.

Threats? Bribes? No action?
    I smell the RCMP.

Respectfully,
    Mahmud

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast