Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.1 Presidential Campaign Thread

In the matter of ethics, the FQE has a certificate from the Ministry of Education, Leasure and Sport (Ministère de l'éducation du Loisir et du Sport) and a recognition from the Canadian Centre for ethics in Sport. I think the CFC can obtain something similar from the Canadian Sports Committee.

Reference

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bérubé View Post
    In the matter of ethics, the FQE has a certificate from the Ministry of Education, Leasure and Sport (Ministère de l'éducation du Loisir et du Sport) and a recognition from the Canadian Centre for ethics in Sport. I think the CFC can obtain something similar from the Canadian Sports Committee.

Reference
    We should develop a code of ethics and an ethics committee as Pierre suggested first before attempting to get any certification.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We should develop a code of ethics and an ethics committee as Pierre suggested first before attempting to get any certification.
    Aren't you a little late to the party Vlad? Mahmud had already recruited a lawyer to chair the Ethics Commission before he proposed it.

Default Mahmud for President (Ethics)

Vlad,
    I have been calling for this from day one and you have been opposing it. Ethics is actually a pillar of my plan.
    Thank you for endorsing my plan.
    Respectfully
    Mahmud

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    According to the modern interpretation, Voting Members have a very limited power. Almost 100% power going to executive. The only moment VM should get some impact - is now, during election. And still - no power, no information... nothing.

Power - if you can get informed decision. Otherwise - just a random guess.
    Victor and the rest of Voting Members,

I had no part of Executive decision making in the past, nor am I aware of any these particulars. Although I appreciate Hal's support, I wish to make clear that I am an independent candidate with an independent platform. I believe that our organization is due for a strategic change and I am prepared to lead that change. As I mentioned before, I have over 25 years of effective governance including obtaining highest federal accreditation.

Respectfully,
    Mahmud

I did not open Pandora's box. Hal Bond did by trying to offer a laundered version of the facts that tried to paint me in the worst possible light after nominations for FIDE rep were closed. Fred's version of events is what actually happened.
    Actually I was painting the CFC in the worst possible light, and nominations were still open. If we can’t even object to a bribe without being sued by the person who offered it, we should close our doors. We are not an organization, we are a hostage. And this is precisely a result of us having no true Ethics culture.

I really want to tell the whole story but I cannot ignore these legal warnings. I can say that there have been at least 4 cases where either I was attacked or the Federation was abused, from October 2018 to August 2019. I cannot prove it was the same person in all cases. I mentioned the bribe because it was the clearest example.

I have brought this up a number of times with our Executive, but we were all busy delivering our programs so nothing happened. Finally this spring I insisted that we deal with this problem or I would resign. The whole Executive agreed that something had to be done to protect the CFC. A motion passed unanimously. Vlad and Fred both spoke to our lawyer and no action was taken. Hmm.

Make no mistake about it, this is not only about what has (not) happened, this is also about our future. Vlad is not corrupt at all, but to me he appears to behave like he has been compromised by the offender. This is not good for the CFC. We need to ensure the independence of the CFC Executive.

Mahmud on the other hand has proposed an Ethics Commission from the beginning, and already has a lawyer volunteer to Chair it. That is leadership.

Blog Entries

You claim that a motion was passed. We were still discussing it and there were alternative scenarios about how to proceed when you invoked closure. There was not a meeting of minds as of yet. The meeting of the executive was not properly executed. You were trying to shoehorn a disciplinary proceeding into a different clause which did not apply to this case. You are the one who has the most to lose here because your many emails show malice. If the CFC gets embroiled in a lawsuit and you did not properly execute your fiduciary duty, the regular members and voting members can sue you personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Certainly the Voting Members should have transparency in those cases where any action is taken. In this case no action was taken. While the majority of the Executive voted for an action, President Vlad Drkulec declined to move forward after seeking legal advice from Les Bunning, our long time lawyer. As one of the original movers, I subsequently conferred with Les and then agreed that it was not in the best interests of the CFC to move forward. There is nothing else to be said at this point.

Sometimes the Executive can be too close to the situation and if we had an Ethics Committee in place this would have been the perfect use for it, and perhaps the first case in 15 years. Having said that, I think we can put this (staffing such a committee) on the agenda for the next Quarterly meeting.
    Thank you for the details Fred! Actually, failure to respect the confidentiality of the deliberations of the Board of Directors is a breach of Ethics.

You have stated the problem correctly, sometimes the Executive can be too close to the situation. Ethics should be separated from politics. In both the USCF and in FIDE, phoney Ethics complaints have been filed against candidates for an elected office and all the complains have been withdrawn after the election, thus proving that this was only a dirty tactic to gain votes or to have the opponent declared ineligible for office. Fortunately, in both those organizations, Ethics is not judged by the Directors, so false accusations did not exclude some candidates.

If understanding is a three edged sword, Ethics has even more edges : Ethics for Directors, for Officers, for members of a Committee, for participants in a chess competition. There are many kind of participants in a chess competition and the FQÉ did an excellent job of finding the Ethics rules that applies to each categories of participants, there are Ethics rules even for spectators http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/pj/documen...que-fqe-vf.pdf . https://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/pj/docume..._ethique_0.pdf . I do no believe that having more then one definition of Chess Ethics in Canada would be useful and that the FQÉ already did all the work and is already accredited.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    Vlad,
    I have been calling for this from day one and you have been opposing it. Ethics is actually a pillar of my plan.
    Thank you for endorsing my plan.
    Respectfully
    Mahmud

When did I oppose it? I only said you have to be careful in response to suggestions the committee would be above the board. Nice bit of misdirection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Aren't you a little late to the party Vlad? Mahmud had already recruited a lawyer to chair the Ethics Commission before he proposed it.

Yes. You do need to stack the committee to give paper thin cover to what you intend to do.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast