Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.1 Presidential Campaign Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    An Ethic Commission is a way to reduce litigation, it demonstrates to the guilty players that the best practices have been followed.

Insurance against Errors and Omission of the CFC Directors, Officers and Commission members is the best way to protect ourselves from lawsuits and the FQÉ can give us such insurance at a great discount. There are other ways, such as having a written Appeal Policy for decisions of the Board of Directors, Officers and Commissions, but they are Constitutional changes that could be hard to pass.
    We will no doubt be checking into that insurance possibility. My preliminary explorations of this possibility of insurance have not been terribly encouraging. On the other hand, if we avoid stupid actions, the possibility of being successfully sued is minimal. Every few months I get contacted by some government or quasi-government sporting body entity. I am pretty sure that one of the recent ones was in the area of ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    An Ethic Commission is a way to reduce litigation, it demonstrates to the guilty players that the best practices have been followed.

Insurance against Errors and Omission of the CFC Directors, Officers and Commission members is the best way to protect ourselves from lawsuits and the FQÉ can give us such insurance at a great discount. There are other ways, such as having a written Appeal Policy for decisions of the Board of Directors, Officers and Commissions, but they are Constitutional changes that could be hard to pass.
    Hello Pierre, could you forward to the CFC Executive any contact information for such insurance? People like myself have been going on about this for years now, but the task is just big enough that it's understandably difficult for someone to actually run with it to the finish line. The CFC Executive can decide who'll do the actual work embedding such insurance for all of us, and I welcome whoever that is, Executive or not. And I agree that a working Ethics Commission reduces risk.

Thank you for your input.

One important arm of the Ethics Commission is to identify and eliminate potential conflict of interest. The reason of an Ethics Commission is to NOT GET SICK in the first place. I am in favour of obtaining insurance, but we should not rely on insurance as first remedy.

Respectfully,
    Mahmud
    Last edited by Mahmud Hassain; 08-19-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Pierre,

Thank you for seeing the wisdom of such commission. I am committed to working with all of you on the details.

Respectfully,
    Mahmud

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We have an online commission which is looking at online play and questions of fair play.

I don't think we need commissions on the other things. I think we will try a zoom quarterly meeting, probably the next one though we will have to get a zoom subscription for the CFC for that to work. No need for a commission. We try it and if the voting members like it we do more of it. We have discussed messaging solutions with vendors but they seem pricey at the moment and are more geared to the needs of organizers than the CFC as a whole. There are a few competitors that are interesting and don't offer as many options but are a lot cheaper than the full service solution which most sports organizations pay for through sponsors. There may be some tie-ins with GoMembership which is advancing nicely thanks to more volunteers.

We are getting more volunteers but if you try to get too many commissions going at once you may stretch things too thin. Most voting members are successful people who are busy and may not have the time to populate all these committees and commissions.

I would prefer to use the FIDE infrastructure rather than trying to set up our own. We don't want additional red tape to discourage organizers. Currently the National Appeals Committee may include some non-arbiters. Would this new entity include non-arbiters?

I would be careful with the ethics commission as this is an area where you could run into legal consequences which you want to minimize.

We have a strategic plan and we have one of the voting members working on a new one but it is a long slog for someone doing it on their own.
    Vlad,
    My understanding of a Strategic Plan is not one person creating it. A group of us create a Strategic Plan and that is s few pages and shared with all Voting Members. We need to visit with it periodically and modify our course of action accordingly or as new issues a rise.

Respectfully,
    Mahmud

Thank you Pierre and Aris!

Ethics is the essence of this election in my opinion. I fear that we have lost our way. Suppose one of our Officers offered money to our Federation in exchange for the removal of an elected member of the Executive. Do you think we could quietly ask this person to resign without being sued?

Vlad and I have stood shoulder to shoulder throughout his tenure. He is a dedicated colleague and a highly skilled chess coach. There is no question that he wants chess to prosper in Canada. Vlad is very opinionated though, and will not hesitate to insult those who disagree with him. He has been a disappointment this year in other ways and I have lost confidence in him as our President.

I have agreed to stand again as FIDE Rep this year and I will honour my commitment. We must get our ethical house in order. We desperately need to go through the process of a strategic plan as envisioned by Mahmud. From our Vision and Mission we set our compass to guide operations. From our values comes a code of conduct for our members - the proverbial ounce of prevention. This in turn provides direction and support for the Ethics Commission, which in turn makes us less likely to have an insurance claim. And yes, we need insurance.

I understand the fear of a looming bureaucracy that will suffocate us. Most of us are doers – we want to get things done without a bunch of red tape. In fact the opposite is true. The most successful chess Federations in the world (including the USCF) adhere to this process. The USCF adopted this approach a few years ago amid some skepticism but now they are true believers. The process is also at the core of the Planning and Development Commission in FIDE.

It is time for a change. Mahmud brings us a fresh perspective and a wealth of knowledge from the NFP sector. He will be a great President. I love Vlad’s dedication and I believe he still has an important role to play. Let’s pull together and make the CFC a source of pride!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    Vlad,
    My understanding of a Strategic Plan is not one person creating it. A group of us create a Strategic Plan and that is s few pages and shared with all Voting Members. We need to visit with it periodically and modify our course of action accordingly or as new issues a rise.

Respectfully,
    Mahmud
    A strategic plan is a strategic plan. It can be created by one man or many.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    I love Vlad’s dedication and I believe he still has an important role to play. Let’s pull together and make the CFC a source of pride!
    I agree with you Hal and hope there will be a new Ethics Commission in the CFC and we can all move forward collectively!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Thank you Pierre and Aris!

Ethics is the essence of this election in my opinion. I fear that we have lost our way. Suppose one of our Officers offered money to our Federation in exchange for the removal of an elected member of the Executive. Do you think we could quietly ask this person to resign without being sued?
    If you try to remove an elected officer without following the procedure established in the bylaw then yes you could be sued. This by the way is the reason that we didn't have a third quarterly meeting as we were immersed in these discussions.

The problem with that situation was that you wanted to invoke disciplinary procedure in a hurry, without following the rules of that disciplinary procedure which is written in our bylaw. You wanted to railroad someone without following due process and without following the steps required by our bylaws or alternatively by the NFP act. In the middle of our process of discussion you invoked closure when the exact format of our response was not yet formulated and the exact nature of our response was not part of a consensus. We consulted with Les Bunning and followed the course of action which he advised. I was asked to do something which violated my fiduciary duty to the CFC and was against the advice of Les Bunning. I refused. There is no requirement for me to follow an order which is not properly predicated in our disciplinary rules. You want to pursue a personal vendetta and put the CFC at risk of a lawsuit that would likely lead to a payout in the $200,000 to $400,000 range which is all of our assets potentially along with opening a huge can of worms and liability elsewhere for all of the executive.

It seems at least in part to me that you were attempting to curry favour with some of your friends at FIDE about an alleged problem at FIDE but that you were asking the CFC and its executive to take on the risk of huge liability to accomplish it.

At the beginning, the middle, and at the end I offered to support you with a full public exposition of what happened and what was happening at the time of the FIDE election. You told me you didn't want to do that as that would put you in an awkward position with the FIDE president.

If you want a CFC president who will stand up to even his friends when they are wrong, vote for me. If you want someone who will bend the rules of the CFC to get an "enemy" of his friend railroaded contrary to the rules then you should probably pick someone else.

Corruption at FIDE, Vlad being shady and threats of suing the CFC - not quite sure by whom against whom.. Gotta love the status quo. Vote Vlad for status quo.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast