Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 11.1 Presidential Campaign Thread

Blog Entries

Thank you Michael, for your comments and your efforts on behalf of chess in Canada and Toronto. Some very impressive new voting members. I look forward to getting to know them and their concerns better as this new year progresses.

Mr. Makropoulos was the best option available when we made our decision which I believe was between Makro and Kirsan Illyumzhinov and Nigel Short (a brilliant chessplayer). Mr. Dvorkovich was an outstanding candidate that came out of left field. When I talked to him I was quite impressed. He understood that we had made a promise and intended to keep it but he was very positive and upbeat and in command of the facts. He seemed to be a brilliant well spoken man. The lesson might be that we shouldn't commit too early when the situation is still fluid. Mr. Dvorkovich continues to impress and has surrounded himself with an able supporting cast. The only complaint I might have is that he campaigned on a term limit for himself but given the hole that COVID has blown in everything perhaps we should see what he can do with an additional term.

Like the CFC, FIDE is in for a tough year or two with the COVID virus.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...ss-federation/
    Canada’s chess federation is supporting Mr. Makropoulos, but Canadian president Vladimir Drkulec said he’d be happy to see Mr. Dvorkovich win. “Either one of them will be a better president than what we’ve had recently,” Mr. Drkulec said from his home in Windsor, Ont. “I think that chess is entering on an adventure here.”

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I'm not so sure that having the results of the voting available while the election is going on is the best way of doing business, but in a sense it mirrors Federal elections. However campaigning while the election is going on is also questionable. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe next year or at a Quarterly meeting we can try a real-time technology.
    We've never liked the fact that you could see ongoing results before the vote was done, but we never figured out how to make vB not show them.

Going real-time ... with 50+ VMs, what are the odds of getting everyone together at the same time? This is better, in my opinion.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Going real-time ... with 50+ VMs, what are the odds of getting everyone together at the same time? This is better, in my opinion.
    Agreed - on-line meeting with 3 days for the vote is much better than real-time
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Default Mahmud for President (Ethics)

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I ask you for your vote.

My opponent asks you to believe that he offers a vision for the future of chess in Canada but he only says that he will enlist you to provide that vision.
    He has no plan.
    I will concede that Mahmud is a nice guy when he isn't running against me.
    He and his surrogates were not so nice in this campaign.
    I think most voting members are much smarter than Mahmud and his campaign give them credit for.

Vladimir Drkulec
    President, Chess Federation of Canada

1-I have lead/chaired/participated in 4 strategic plans up to a $7,000,000 budget NFP organization. A "Strategic Plan" by its nature should involve maximum participation of stakeholders, including CFC paying members. That is how it works. Anything less is not a strategic plan, it would be called marching orders or wishful thinking at best.

2-I do not believe I have been disrespectful anywhere here.

3-In this campaign, I never once doubted the intelligence nor have I condescended anyone. I will always be proud to inspire all for action.

This is leadership as I know it.

Respectfully,
    Mahmud
    Last edited by Mahmud Hassain; 08-23-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Blog Entries

While we were here having our election the Online Canadian Olympiad team was blowing up.

Default Mahmud for President (Ethics)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    We've never liked the fact that you could see ongoing results before the vote was done, but we never figured out how to make vB not show them.

What I find questionable is that the VMs list and their complete contacts are not up to date and it was not readily available.

Respectfully,
    Mahmud

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    What I find questionable is that the VMs list and their complete contacts are not up to date and it was not readily available.
    There is no requirement in the NFP Act that this information be readily available. Actually, it is quite the opposite, at stated in Article 23 of the Law https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/...4.html#docCont . In order to access this information. you must request it from the CFC and produce the statutory declaration that the Law demands.

In this declaration, you must state that you will use the contact information of the members only for those lawful purposes.

• an effort to influence the voting of members;
    • requisitioning a meeting of members; or
    • any other matter relating to the affairs of the corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    There is no requirement in the NFP Act that this information be readily available. Actually, it is quite the opposite, at stated in Article 23 of the Law https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/...4.html#docCont . In order to access this information. you must request it from the CFC and produce the statutory declaration that the Law demands.

In this declaration, you must state that you will use the contact information of the members only for those lawful purposes.

• an effort to influence the voting of members;
    • requisitioning a meeting of members; or
    • any other matter relating to the affairs of the corporation.
    Thank you Pierre for the clarification.

I did exactly that!

Respectfully,
    Mahmud

Default The FIDE Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Unfortunately, Voting Members are kept in the dark - we're getting only bits and pieces of what is happening behind closed doors...

I had a feeling that this campaign is an extension of the last FIDE elections - Dvorkovich vs. Makropoulos.
    Thank you, Hal, for confirming that!

Every Voting Member could compare what FIDE is doing during last 2 years and before that and make his own conclusion - which leadership is better for chess.
    But 2 years ago Canada publicly endorsed Makropoulos.
    Probably now it's a good time to admit that was a mistake which didn't improve image of Canada at international chess scene and move on.

Hal, if you remember, when you was elected FIDE Representative in 2009, I told you that don't know anybody in Canada who is more suitable for this position than you.
    Thank you for serving Canadian chess community in this capacity for 11 years!
    You're still one of the best chess arbiters and organizers in Canada.
    I'm confident - when the pandemic ends you will organize and direct many more excellent chess events.

But time flies, and maybe we just need a new FIDE Representative?
    Thank you for your question Michael. To his chagrin, Makro only got passive support from Canada in Batumi, which I thought was appropriate given some of the background that Vlad provided. His campaign was completely flat compared to Dvorkovich. The attacks on me were not his idea. I agree that his tenure has been most impressive so far. I still worry about the finances, but ok.

I managed to speak with a top FIDE Official on the first night of the Abu Dhabi Congress in February. My first priority was to assure him that Canada does NOT oppose his administration. He replied that everyone is on the same team after an election. I also told him that I have come under attack - before I could finish he started apologizing for our offender, indicating that he did not support this kind of behaviour but they like his work so they keep him on. (Gasp!) I mentioned the forged email and again he mentioned our offender, and disavowed the act.

He did not know about the attack letter from the Russian Federation though. This Official was with me in Kazan for the Women’s Candidates. It was my finest hour if I may say. He liked the Canada- Russia hockey reference in my closing speech. At the closing banquet we spoke about hockey in the same context as FIFA. He said Ovechkin is the best chess player on the Russian hockey team.

So when he heard that I was trashed for my job in Kazan, he shook his head, “That’s not true… who wrote this letter?” I gave him the name. I also told him that opinions are one thing, but this letter was full of lies, and I did not want to make a scene in Ethics or ARB Discipline, but this wasn’t right. “Ok, I received your signal.” My time was up before I could mention the bribe. I mentioned that to him in a follow up letter. Sadly no reply yet. He is extremely busy.

So Canada has not lost any standing with FIDE Michael. If we don’t clean up our act this year though it will be time for my replacement.
    Last edited by Hal Bond; 08-23-2020 at 09:14 AM.

Default Shame on you Vlad

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]

My opponent asks you to believe that he offers a vision for the future of chess in Canada but he only says that he will enlist you to provide that vision.

He has no plan.

Vague slogans and buzzwords without meaning are not a strategy.

He has not been involved in the CFC previously but thinks that he is qualified to start his contribution at the top as president.

The two Zoom meetings did not inspire anyone with confidence. I did not attend but received multiple reports from those who did.

I will concede that Mahmud is a nice guy when he isn't running against me.
    He and his surrogates were not so nice in this campaign.

I think most voting members are much smarter than Mahmud and his campaign give them credit for.

I ask you for your vote.
    With my thanks,

Vladimir Drkulec
    President, Chess Federation of Canada
    I think you owe my friend an apology Vlad. How shabby of you. A chess keener and gentleman has the gall to take an interest in CFC leadership and you insult him. You must be very proud.

What is your plan? What vague slogans are you talking about? We have been flying by the seat of our pants for far too long. You have been blessed with a dedicated and experienced Executive so we have been able to get way with having no plan - just maintain the course and keep an eye out for opportunities. It works for a while but we have been cutting corners to keep up and eventually it starts to show.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast