View Poll Results: The top chess news story of 2020 so far has been...

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Suspension of the 2020 Candidates Tournament

24 48.98%
  • the 2020 Online Chess Olympiad

5 10.20%
  • Legends of Chess (July 21-Aug 5)

3 6.12%
  • something else?

17 34.69%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2. Voting Member Sign-in

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Fred, that seems like a high percentage, which I think is awesome!

(if I'm incorrect vs. historically, please tell me to edit this post lol)
    Well, I think that most of the VM's who attend the meeting will vote, especially this year when there is a hot race for President. What is more surprising is that we have 47 VM's attending the meeting, compared to last year's number, which I think was 27 (I just looked it up, but didn't write it down - so testing my short term memory).

Short term memory not so good .... 29.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Well, I think that most of the VM's who attend the meeting will vote, especially this year when there is a hot race for President. What is more surprising is that we have 47 VM's attending the meeting, compared to last year's number, which I think was 27 (I just looked it up, but didn't write it down - so testing my short term memory).

Short term memory not so good .... 29.
    Well that's great!! I'm proud of our big turnout!!

Blog Entries

Its even better than you think. Some people went straight to the vote and didn't sign in.

Just a note - I don't normally allow such numbers of postings in this thread but have been paying close attention and all have been respectful and non-partisan so have let it go.

I too agree that the high percentage of Assembly members signed into the meeting (and voting) is a very good thing and a very pleasant surprise given that the last 4-5 months have been a bit of a downer for most of us especially since we've not had the opportunity of taking out our frustrations over the board. (Somehow for me at least server play does not provide the same degree of calming particularly when you have the sort of opponent who thinks just letting the time run out when in a losing position is ok!)

Several explanations as to why the high turnout and voting turnout but not my place to opine!

=> Reminder - polls close at 1800 ET today.

As I've said privately 20 years ago the complete list of Governors (as VMs were known then) were published in the Chess Canada Bulletin. Not sure how that came to be ended but I'd guess the then editors figured it wasn't a good use of an entire page to the average reader. I have no issue with publishing the list though given the level of spam I personally get am not so great on publishing e-mails etc in a way easily harvestable. This is part of the price one pays for having both an uncommon first name and uncommon last name and being involved in multiple activities that are active on the Net one supposes. (For instance a Google search on "Lyle" "Craver" and "Vancouver" will give several pages of hits - given my spam I would guess the bad guys do rather better than Google!)

Where I draw the line is publishing voting records which is usually fine after the meeting through not during polling. The policy of the CFC is that all votes where the motion doesn't involve individuals are public. ("doesn't involve individuals" includes more than just elections) I don't believe the CFC has a specific rule in the Handbook on this but it's been our policy long before I first became a Governor (early 90s) much less an Executive member. The fact that members can see as much as they can DURING the vote says more about the vBulletin forum software than about CFC policy.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 08-22-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Its even better than you think. Some people went straight to the vote and didn't sign in.
    Now that I don't agree with. Some people might wonder how you know that. If you can see who voted, then that information should be public.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Oh oh - that means I have work to do since that's not SUPPOSED to be possible - I thought that was supposed to give an error message. In the control panel there is a name attached to every vote and ONLY those with names attached are counted. Thus if you are one who did this, it doesn't count.

The easiest way to determine whether or not your vote was counted is to go to the voting thread and see whether you get the polling box or the results of polling box. If you get asked the vote question then it means vBulletin does not have a vote recorded for you and wants you to vote!. I noticed this when signing on this morning and found I got the 'poll question' screen on one of the voting booth threads.

On reflection, I think what Vlad means is that the VM signed in with usercode and password but didn't go to the sign-in "vote". If that's what he means I would have to check the list of sign-ins as I do not think the software allows preventing posting if one does not participate in a given thread (e.g. the sign-in thread) In the old days at in-person Governor meetings it used to be that a sign-in clipboard was passed around. Since it generally took time for the clipboard to circulate the chair often recognized people who hadn't yet had the opportunity to sign in. Ancient history now I know....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    As I've said privately 20 years ago the complete list of Governors (as VMs were known then) were published in the Chess Canada Bulletin. Not sure how that came to be ended but I'd guess the then editors figured it wasn't a good use of an entire page to the average reader. I have no issue with publishing the list though given the level of spam I personally get am not so great on publishing e-mails etc in a way easily harvestable.
    I think the complete list of Governors was published on the CFC web site, until the NFP act. As I mentioned before, we have been directed not to share this list. I think in future years if Candidates for CFC positions would like e-mail sent out to the VM's, it should all be sent to you for mass distribution at a set time (ie day 2 of the AGM or maybe 3 days prior to the AGM).
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 08-22-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Now that I don't agree with. Some people might wonder how you know that. If you can see who voted, then that information should be public.

I talked through one voting member on the procedure to vote on the phone which he had trouble with because of the size of the display. On my phone you can zoom in and out but on some you can't. He voted. I will tell you at 6 pm how I know he didn't sign in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast