View Poll Results: The top chess news story of 2020 so far has been...

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Suspension of the 2020 Candidates Tournament

24 48.98%
  • the 2020 Online Chess Olympiad

5 10.20%
  • Legends of Chess (July 21-Aug 5)

3 6.12%
  • something else?

17 34.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2. Voting Member Sign-in

Default 2. Voting Member Sign-in

A word of explanation to new Voting Members - since the software does not have an automatic attendance counter feature we record who has attended the meeting by having members 'vote' for one of the options in the poll above.

It does not matter which option you choose - voting for ANY of the options (the software does not allow a poll with only one option) marks you as in attendance.

We try to keep the poll questions light and sometimes whimsical - it is not the intention to use the answers to any of the questions asked in the sign-in poll for gauging VM opinion on an issue. VM Feedback on future meeting polls is definitely welcome!
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 08-15-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Blog Entries

You can't click on the votes, to check attendance at this meeting like you can at the Outgoing meeting. Lyle or Chris can you investigate or else post a list of those who have joined the meeting.

Hmmm. I must have failed to check a particular flag when setting it up. Unfortunately you don't get a chance to edit a poll once created (other than to close it of course).

However as of right now it's:

Something else? Aris Marghetis Don Parakin Halldor P. Palsson Ilia Bluvshtein Jose Fernandez Triana Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Lo Nikolay Noritsyn Stephen Wright Victoria Jung-Doknjas Vladimir Drkulec
    Suspension of the 2020 Candidates Tournament Christina Tao Fred McKim Lloyd Lombard Michael Barron Patrick McDonald Richard Bérubé Roger Langen
    Legends of Chess (July 21-Aug 5) Christopher Field Ken Einarsson
    the 2020 Online Chess Olympiad Les Bunning Paul Leblanc

Hi Lyle,
    Thank you for chairing this election and for your hard work.
    Would it be possible for you to share who voted and who did not. And, the contacts of the governors.
    Thank you
    Mahmud
    Last edited by Mahmud Hassain; 08-21-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    Hi Lyle,
    Thank you for chairing this election and for your hard work.
    Would it be possible for you to share who voted and who did not. And, the contacts of the governors.
    Thank you
    Mahmud
    That would be highly improper.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    You can't click on the votes, to check attendance at this meeting like you can at the Outgoing meeting. Lyle or Chris can you investigate or else post a list of those who have joined the meeting.
    Hi again,
    Following on Fred's post, I think we should be provided with the names of the governors who attended this meeting.
    Thank you for your help!
    Mahmud

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    That would be highly improper.
    That is why I posted another one.

I keep Voting Member personal information (required for verifying contact info including e-mails) in a spreadsheet. While you can of course sort a spreadsheet in any desired sequence I go alphabetically by province then alphabetically within a single province.

At the close of each meeting I update the spreadsheet to indicate who was signed in to the spreadsheet.

The policy of the CFC is that ALL votes are public with the major exception of votes concerning identifiable individuals. This includes but is not limited to elections. While I and Chris Mallon (chief Forum Administrator) can go into the Forum Control Panel and see who voted and how as a matter of policy we don't while the poll is open. Thus at the present time, I know as much about the vote as each of you (which right now is limited to how many have voted but not how many for each candidate or option)

My primary concern is that the ballot be fair and that the voting question be clear. On motions NOT involving individuals I am regularly asked for help by Voting Members with motions they would like to put. The sort of help I give is more procedural and phrasing the motion - I never attempt to persuade someone to my way of thinking. In my time as Secretary I have told VMs privately "I personally think this is a bad idea but if you want to forward this motion here's how you do it..." - my role is to facilitate not to dictate. On one occasion an unauthorized person was able to cast a vote due to incorrect forum permissions on his account - we picked it up and cancelled his ballot and informed the meeting what had happened.

Please note that I have edited both the announcements message to this forum and the agenda thread to announce in big red lettering that the "VOTING BOOTH" elections close at 1800 ET Saturday Aug 22 (tomorrow)
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 08-22-2020 at 02:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    That is why I posted another one.
    I will try to get Lyle to post a list of all of the VM's who joined the meeting before the meeting is over. I think there were another 20 or so after the first list. It looks like at least 90% of the participating VM's voted. The complete list of VM's has not been published in one place for a number of years. Vlad can best explain why, but it was to do with the NFP act.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I will try to get Lyle to post a list of all of the VM's who joined the meeting before the meeting is over. I think there were another 20 or so after the first list. It looks like at least 90% of the participating VM's voted. The complete list of VM's has not been published in one place for a number of years. Vlad can best explain why, but it was to do with the NFP act.
    Fred, that seems like a high percentage, which I think is awesome!

(if I'm incorrect vs. historically, please tell me to edit this post lol)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast