Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4. Executive and Officer report

Default 4. Executive and Officer report

Please post your reports here titling your report with the title (4A, 4B etc) as given in the Agenda

Blog Entries

Deleted as duplicate.

Blog Entries

Default 4M. Treasurer's Report

We have had another healthy year financially as can be seen by the Financial Statements (posted in the Executive Director's section). This is despite the Memberships and Rating fees effectively shutting down for the last two months of the Fiscal Year. 2020/21 is going to be the first year we suffer a loss in 8 or 9 years, but with strong assets we should still be OK, assuming things start returning to normal by the summer of 2021. OK means this will be blip in the road (ie loss of $10-$15,000) as opposed to an event that drains $50 - $75,000 of our cash assets.

With software handling all of the CFC's financial transactions, I have tried to give my time to the CFC in being involved in management decisions, such as Go Membership and more recently the new Web site. It will be exciting to see these two projects both go ahead this fall.

I will be re-offering as CFC Treasurer for the upcoming year.

Fred McKim
    CFC Treasurer

CFC Revenue Statement for 2019/20 (Summarized Version)

Revenue

Net CFC Memberships........$42590 ........................... I have removed payments to CFC affiliates (both here and in Expenses) and Life memberships, all donated to Chess Foundation
    Net Rating Fees.................$34496 ........................... I have removed Rating fees paid to FIDE (both here and in International expenses)
    Chess Foundation..............$11495 ........................... Interest from their investments donated to CFC
    CMA / Strategy Games........$5000 ........................... Promotion and Advertizing
    Total...............................$93581

Expenses

Office/Admin.....................$56541 ............................ Includes ExD Salary, Website expenses, GoMembership, etc.
    Olympic Fund....................$15000 ............................ To pay for air flights and incidentals for 2021 and 2022 Olympiads
    International.......................$9382 ............................ Payments to FIDE / FIDE America / Grants for players to Int tournaments
    Media.................................$3812 ............................ CFC Magazine and News Feed
    Youth Training.....................$3750 ............................ Grants for players to attend Juniors to Masters Inc training
    CFC Promotion....................$1500 ............................ CSTA Conference
    Total...............................$89995

Surplus.............................$3586
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 08-16-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Default 4N. Executive Director's Report - Financial Report

I'm sure Bob will be presenting his own report here soon enough, but I wanted to post the Financial Statements ASAP. Please direct any comments to either me (under 4M) or Bob (here at 4N).

Fred McKim
    CFC Treasurer
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

There was a significant drop in revenues but the drop in net income is also due to reserving funds for next year's olympiad. Usually at this point there would be payments for the last olympiad but this is a reserve for next year and the following year if FIDE sticks to their announced plan of holding the 2020 event in 2021 and holding the normal olympiad in 2022 which I don't think they will be able to. I think that the covid virus would have to be stamped out almost everywhere before you can bring teams from around the world into an olympiad situation. Given that the pandemic is just starting in some countries I am not sure that the logistics will work out. We will have to wait and see what happens.

Executive Directors Report - AGM 2020

We were enjoying an absolutely great year of chess, memberships had grown from 2,501 to 2,735 in 10 months but then we hit a wall called COVID19. In early March we saw virtually all chess clubs close and tournaments one by one were cancelled. Our membership extension policy was announced on June 9 on the CFC discussion board so that memberships would not expire during the shutdown. Effectively for fiscal 2020, we have forgone membership dues for March & April while members had no opportunities to play CFC rated events. Even with the membership extension, we were still able to book a surplus of $3,586 as well as set aside an additional $ 15,000 for the 2020 Olympiad that has been delayed until 2021.

Opinions vary widely on how long the COVID19 shutdown will last. I believe we will see clubs and tournament resume in October, but at a reduced participation rate. Then we will need to make the decision as to the date to end the membership extension period. We should see a steady rise in activity until I believe next summer we will be firing on all cylinders again.

During this shutdown period, we are tackling 3 major projects.

We have now encroached into the world of online chess by rating events hosted on chess..com and Lichess..org. This has been a challenge as we navigate the waters of combating online cheating.

We have launched a new website. This was an emergency effort as our website of 10 years was hacked. The basic website functions are now operational with further features coming over the next few months. Many thanks to Don Parakin, our new webmaster for his efforts.

Within a few weeks we will bring our Go membership platform online. This will give members the ability to login and update their information and renew memberships. Additional features will be added as we go. More news as we proceed.

I look forward to seeing many of you over the board soon. In the meantime, stay safe all.

Robert Gillanders
    Executive Director

Default FIDE Representative's Report

FIDE Representative Report

Once again it has been an honour to serve Canada as FIDE Representative. I have put my name forward for re-election and I hope you can support me.

FIDE activities have been affected by Covid just like the rest of us. To their credit, FIDE has switched to online for competitions and various capacity building and training activities. At this writing we have no financial update for 2019, but it was due this summer so we may have something before the end of our meeting. The Planning and Development Commission where I serve is now handing out grants to a maximum of $5k, down from $20k last year. We are also developing a series of webinars for good governance, along with a Federation Manual.

I am very pleased to see that the Arbiters’ Commission has recruited former Secretary Aris Marghetis to aid in the development of an Arbiter education program.

Prior to the OTB shutdown some titles were earned by deserving Canadians. Congratulations to Halldor Palsson, Corinna Wan and Karen Wan for completion and award of their FA titles. Olivier Kenta Chiku-Rattee is now an IM, and Mark Plotkin’s IM application has been filed and will be confirmed at the next Council meeting. Congratulations gentlemen!

After much preparation and planning, FIDE has launched its “Chess ID” program. This is the brainchild of FIDE ED, GM Victor Bologan. Here is a brief description form the FIDE site: “Chess ID aims at uniting all agents in the chess community, creating a unified ecosystem that will result in benefits for us all. A unique reference code will be assigned to any person engaged in any chess-related activity, on any capacity: players, coaches, instructors, arbiters, publishers, et cetera. A consolidated database for all of them will result in many practical advantages: the implementation of chess programs or initiatives would be more effective, and registering to a tournament or a seminar would be faster and easier. Chess ID will be used for online and offline worldwide recognition and Chess ID holders will have access to multiple services and benefits as members of a global activities program.”

The Women’s World Cup, which will feature Pan-Am Champion WGM Maili-Jade Ouellet plus one more from our Zonal or some other procedure, has been postponed to the spring of next year. It remains to be seen if Belarus will still host it.

Looking ahead, it appears that President Dvorkovich’s objective of hosting the 2024 Olympiad in the Western hemisphere will not be achieved. There was at least one bid afoot from Europe during the congress in Adu Dhabi. Bids for 2026 will be due in 2022 – our 150th anniversary. Presenting an Olympic bid in the year of our sesquicentennial would be awesome!

Respectfully submitted
    Hal Bond
    FIDE Zone 2.2 President and Delegate, Canada
    August 16, 2020.

[QUOTE=Hal Bond;34536]FIDE Representative Report

After much preparation and planning, FIDE has launched its “Chess ID” program. This is the brainchild of FIDE ED, GM Victor Bologan. Here is a brief description form the FIDE site: “Chess ID aims at uniting all agents in the chess community, creating a unified ecosystem that will result in benefits for us all. A unique reference code will be assigned to any person engaged in any chess-related activity, on any capacity: players, coaches, instructors, arbiters, publishers, et cetera. A consolidated database for all of them will result in many practical advantages: the implementation of chess programs or initiatives would be more effective, and registering to a tournament or a seminar would be faster and easier. Chess ID will be used for online and offline worldwide recognition and Chess ID holders will have access to multiple services and benefits as members of a global activities program.”

Thanks a lot Hal for your report. Quick question about the FIDE "Chess ID" program (link here: https://www.fide.com/news/684), which was also posted in this Forum by Vladimir a few days ago. Is there any more information about that project? I mean beyond the general presentation of it. The last two paragraphs of that link even mentioned an "online gaming portal", would that be related to FIDE-rated (or CFC-rated0 online chess? I guess we will have to wait to know more, but I ask in case you had some insight about that. Thanks! Jose

Chess Foundation of Canada
    Boring is good in the investment world these days and the Foundation had a boring year.
    Funds under management $333,746 down a few percent in line with market conditions.
    We made very few changes, mostly just investing the income from 15 new life members.
    Dividends passed to the CFC $12,445.57.
    I encourage everyone to think of the Chess Foundation in your Estate planning.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Rating Auditor Report
    The rating system continued to perform as expected with some minor inflation at the lower end, which I assess to be the bonus formula doing its job
    and some minor deflation in the middle range to compensate.
    The average rating of the top 100 has been rock solid at about 2360 for several years.
    We introduced Quick rating for internet games and the COVID-19 bonus as an interim measure during the pandemic.
    It has allowed at least some activity and rating fee income.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast