Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4. Executive and Officer report

CFC Publicity Officer report, 2019-2020

Dear colleagues,

My mandate from the Board is to ensure the news flow to and from the CFC, in particular between FIDE and the CFC and between the CFC and the FQE. During the 2019-2020 term, I continued to implement this mandate by all means available.

Via forum posts and e-mail, I systematically informed the Executive, players and parents about announcements and regulations of upcoming events such as World Youth / Cadet, World Amateur, World Schools, events for players with disabilities, norm tournaments in the U.S., events by the Susan Polgar Foundation, as well as about FIDE news such as the progress in drafting the new Charter, PB/MB/Council decisions, surveys addressed to national federations. I was also explaining the CFC developments in French in Quebec and advocated for having more event sections rated with FIDE and the CFC.

Clear communication became even more important once the COVID-19 pandemic hit. I systematically posted schedule changes and postponement announcements in the CFC Forum and placed links to the CFC Forum on Chesstalk.com. At present, we have dedicated threads in both locations that list FIDE Calendar changes for 2020 and 2021.

I was successful in securing an invitation for Canada as the only Western Hemisphere country among ten teams chosen to participate in the 2019 edition of the Vladimir Dvorkovich Cup that was held in Aktobe, Kazakhstan, in last September. This annual team junior U-17 competition that runs under the auspices of FIDE since 2005 and is called an unofficial mixed-gender world team championship was a great experience for Canadian players and parents. I am grateful to the CFC for appointing me the captain, approving the selection criteria (by national rating) and providing moral support to the team. No CFC funds were spent on this extremely costly undertaking: organizers covered all transportation, accommodation and meals; devoted parents Igor Gaisinsky and Chau Diep graciously sponsored team uniforms; MPs, MPPs and MNAs kindly made available Canadian flags, pins and souvenirs.

Four bright U-17 players: Svitlana Demchenko, Cynthia Cui, Adam Gaisinsky, and Henry Zhang made supporters on-site and at home extremely proud. Canada finished +2, =1, -6 winning a match 2.5:1.5 over the chess superpower India and drawing 2:2 with the host Kazakhstan, which turned out to be a huge difference in final standings since it was that missing matchpoint that didn’t allow the Kazakhstan team to get to the podium. I regularly took photographs and shared them within the parents’ group, with the CFC Youth Coordinator and the CFC Newsfeed Editor. Good manners, erudition and friendliness of Canadian teenagers (who spoke six languages altogether) made a lasting impact on the organizers and officials. The hosts have kindly provided a special day of sightseeing and museums just for our team. Right upon return home, the players organized to pen a heartfelt note of thanks that left a big impression on the addressees. I am glad to share this letter here.

The 2020 edition of the VDC is obviously canceled because of coronavirus. If the CFC Executive continues to support me in these efforts, Team Canada has really good chances to be invited to the VDC again when over-the-board competitions resume.

At the World Youth U-16 Chess Olympiad in Çorum, Turkey, I was privileged to serve as the FIDE Technical Delegate and liaised closely with the Canadian delegation. The Captain GM Gergely Szabo and the HoD Canada Ms. Sandra Vettese were prohibited from bringing cell phones to the playing hall. Thus, I systematically took photos of all Canadian players before and during rounds, then posted them within the parents’ group and shared with the CFC Youth Coordinator to publish at home.

Likewise, at the King Salman World Rapid and Blitz Championships in Moscow, Russia, where I served as an anticheating arbiter I took pictures of all Canadian players and posted a photo gallery in Canadian forums.

I was always available to answer questions from the CFC and the FQE colleagues regarding FIDE plans, event bids, and such.

Last but not least, in my lecturer capacity I gave more than a dozen FIDE seminars and workshops overseas during the last year, and whenever it came to Q&A, the audience was always keen to ask questions about life and chess in Canada. Thus, I used every opportunity, like this one:
    https://fide.com/news/289
    to explain how things work in this great country. Over the years, we were fortunate to have a steady inflow of high-level chess players to Canada, and the interest in immigrating and changing federations remains high, especially from the Maghreb and North Africa. The CFC Executive has provided letters of support to Canadian authorities on several occasions in the past. It would be good if we continue doing this in order to facilitate acceptance and accommodation of chess players from all cultures to Canada.

Respectfully submitted by Vadim Tsypin.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

A great group of kids. Thank you for giving them the opportunity to play at such a high profile event. I am most familiar with Henry and Adam but all four of them are great ambassadors for the CFC.

Thanks a lot Hal for your report. Quick question about the FIDE "Chess ID" program (link here: https://www.fide.com/news/684), which was also posted in this Forum by Vladimir a few days ago. Is there any more information about that project? I mean beyond the general presentation of it. The last two paragraphs of that link even mentioned an "online gaming portal", would that be related to FIDE-rated (or CFC-rated0 online chess? I guess we will have to wait to know more, but I ask in case you had some insight about that.

Thanks! Jose

Thank you Jose. I wish I understood this project better. When I first spoke about it with Victor, my sense was that he wanted to obtain better evidence of the number of chess players in the world, and the nature of their chess activities. This will be useful with sponsors and will also provide programming insights for our much varied chess community. The online portal is consistent with this plan but I don't know if this means the FIDE online arena which already exists, or something new.
    Last edited by Hal Bond; 08-17-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Default H. Woman’s Coordinator report

Covid-19 is the greatest newa in international Women Chess, causing the postponement or cancellation of numerous tournament including our own Canadian Women Zonal Championship.

For the first time. Canada will be allowed two participants in the Women Word Cup: The Continental Champion, Maili-Jade Ouellet and our to be determined Zonal Champion. The Executive assure me that we can cover the extra expenses.

FIDE has postponed the World Cup, negotiations are being made with the organizer, but he cannot be forced to accept the new dates. I am confident that this tournament will be held in 2021 somewhere in the world.

I would like to thank Aris for his bid on the 2020 Women Zonal. I am still hoping that it can be done in Kingston later this year.

My place of residence is Covid safe with only 11 cases in Matawinie https://monjoliette.com/lundi-leclos...dun-lanaudois/. It is not close to the airport. Montreal, where the airport is, is the worst contaminated place in Canada. My region is safe for a Zonal, but travelling to it isn't totally safe and hotel room availability is usually limited.

My preference is still to hold the Zonal in Kingston, but we should be prepared with a plan B in case this is not possible.

I do hope that FIDE will announce the World Cup sufficiently in advance. For the Continental, we got so little notice that selection by rating was the only possible option.

Respectfully Submitted,

Pierre Dénommée
    CFC Woman’s Coordinator

Hello Hal and Jose,

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Thanks a lot Hal for your report. Quick question about the FIDE "Chess ID" program (link here: https://www.fide.com/news/684), which was also posted in this Forum by Vladimir a few days ago. Is there any more information about that project? I mean beyond the general presentation of it. The last two paragraphs of that link even mentioned an "online gaming portal", would that be related to FIDE-rated (or CFC-rated0 online chess? I guess we will have to wait to know more, but I ask in case you had some insight about that.

Thanks! Jose

Thank you Jose. I wish I understood this project better. When I first spoke about it with Victor, my sense was that he wanted to obtain better evidence of the number of chess players in the world, and the nature of their chess activities. This will be useful with sponsors and will also provide programming insights for our much varied chess community. The online portal is consistent with this plan but I don't know if this means the FIDE online arena which already exists, or something new.
    Yes, this is correct. Chess ID is a living breathing project; its vision and scope are being constantly improved after the concept was approved at the Q2 2019 PB meeting in Baku. You can get more information from the latest public presentation made at the EB in Abu Dhabi in February.

The general architecture and specifications are being finalized by the Steering Committee that includes outside business experts with excellent track record. The platform will contain a number of modules that use standard APIs.

As an important milestone, we have started the Call for Offers procedure for the first, relatively small and dependency-free, module this month. Things are going according to the schedule; we're going to publish the Response to queries document tomorrow, August 19; the deadline to submit offers is August 24. The offer framework outlined in the current procedure document shall stay essentially the same for other modules; only Request for Proposals and Technical Data Sheet documents will be changing.

Due to an unfortunate contract signed by the previous administration, the so-called "FIDE Online Arena" was allowed to fall into private hands and changed owners twice. It is currently controlled by the same people who run World Chess (formerly Agon). FIDE actively collaborates with and holds its official online competitions at a variety of leading Hosting Internet Platforms (HIPs): Chess.com, Chess24.com, Playchess.com, lichess.org.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    Hello Hal and Jose,

Yes, this is correct. Chess ID is a living breathing project; its vision and scope are being constantly improved after the concept was approved at the Q2 2019 PB meeting in Baku. You can get more information from the latest public presentation made at the EB in Abu Dhabi in February.
    If I understand it well, the goal is to create a unique ID that will allow access to all the information about a person. This ID would be used on all online platforms, so a convicted cheater could be banned from all platforms. Furthermore, a single ID would allow access to both the FIDE rating and the CFC rating and while we are at it, why not the FQÉ rating as well. For those who are not in Quebec, I will say that submitting the rating report to three Federations is a time consuming process. First, the FIDE and CFC reports are submitted, but because the pairing software does not support more then 2 IDs, one FIDE and one National, all CFC ID and ratings must be deleted and replaced with FQÉ ID and ratings. Entering a single ID into the pairing software would be a big plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I'm sure Bob will be presenting his own report here soon enough, but I wanted to post the Financial Statements ASAP. Please direct any comments to either me (under 4M) or Bob (here at 4N).

Fred McKim
    CFC Treasurer
    In the section 5 Membership revenue, there numbers of annual paying members. All higher than 2019 however the revenue is lower. How is that?
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Possibly related to deferred revenue. I think part of the revenue is pushed into next year. If people pay their membership late in the fiscal year say four months before the end of the fiscal year, eight months or 2/3 of the payment is counted as happening next year. We did lose two months of revenue in the fiscal year 2019-2020.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    In the section 5 Membership revenue, there numbers of annual paying members. All higher than 2019 however the revenue is lower. How is that?
    I think we were counting players who's membership expired between 2020/03/01 and 2020/04/30

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I think we were counting players who's membership expired between 2020/03/01 and 2020/04/30
    The key word is "paying"...
    .*-1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast