Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CFC 2020 AGM Campaign thread

Default Urgency to Address 2021 Rating Deflation

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    There is no shame in you running against Paul as rating auditor or someone running against me as president. It is a curious strategy to claim that you are not running against someone, though everyone can clearly see that you are.
    If Paul was advocating a participation bonus or a manual adjustment to the ratings, then I would be running against him.

I appreciate Paul's work, and my main reason for running is a lack of urgency to address the rating deflation that will occur in 2021 when OTB returns. If we don't devise an organic solution (e.g. higher k-factors for juniors), we risk needing a manual adjustment at some point in the future.

Blog Entries

I am not sure that a higher K factor by itself solves anything. If they mostly play with other juniors the gain and loss cancel each other out. At the moment a single bad tournament can put a junior out of contention for things like the Olympiad team because their rating change is amplified. This is particularly the case for the women's olympiad team.

Default K Factor for Juniors

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I am not sure that a higher K factor by itself solves anything. If they mostly play with other juniors the gain and loss cancel each other out. At the moment a single bad tournament can put a junior out of contention for things like the Olympiad team because their rating change is amplified. This is particularly the case for the women's olympiad team.

My proposal includes reducing the k factor to 16 (same as adults) once they reach 2200.

Where can one find a campaign speech or learn more about this candidate?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Langen View Post

Which candidate?

Default Ratings Auditor

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Langen View Post
    Hi Roger,

My rating auditor campaign is in post #8. My background is in statistics. I am a good listener - I have worked at a large multinational corporation for the last decade.

In a nutshell, my campaign is:

1. The rating system should be statistically sound.
    2. No one is "after us". We should remove archaic rules that create barriers to entry while serving no real protection purpose. An example is we have a maximum of 4 games per day regardless of rating, but it would be good business to increase it to 6 for lower rated players.
    3. Be more proactive on when OTB play returns next year. Having a higher k-factor for juniors will help a lot. It is more organic than recalibrating our bonus system after the fact.

Blog Entries

Hi Tony,

FIDE does set an upper limit on the number of hours you can be asked to play in a day and that is based on a theoretical 60 move game. The CFC adheres to FIDE rules and laws of chess. To do otherwise could lead to balkanization of chess with rules different in every jurisdiction.

Default EriK Malmsten's Post on Chess talk

I am not registered on Chess talk, but I have noticed this insightful passage by Erik.

"How does the CFC show appreciation of the 2,000 tournament players/paid members? How does the CFC add to their enjoyment of chess?
    There are a million online chess players in Canada. What can the CFC offer them?
    There are parents looking for organized activities for their kids, do they know about chess and the CFC?
    There are seniors who used to play chess in the Fischer era. What can the CFC offer them (e.g. students visiting senior homes to play chess)?
    There are new immigrants/refugees who play chess (some with FIDE ratings) but poorly speak English. What can the CFC offer them?
    There are a million players across the border in the US? How can we attract them to events in Canada?"

These are the kind of questions that we need to generate and address in order to create a meaningful and effective Strategic Plan. This living document will articulate and display our Mission, Vision and Values. Thank you Erik for your thoughtful questions! If I am elected I will ask you for some more!

I am withdrawing from this year's election to the Ratings Auditor position.

I have not succeeded in generating meaningful discussion regarding the shock to the rating system due to the COVID shutdown. I will be investing my time instead on improving my communication skills.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12