Thread: Emulating a US Team Event

Blog Entries

Default Emulating a US Team Event

The US is holding a State Team Championship. With only 10 provinces, this might be easier here. Any takers ?

http://chessmaine.net/chessmaine/202...match-loo.html

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    The US is holding a State Team Championship. With only 10 provinces, this might be easier here. Any takers ?

http://chessmaine.net/chessmaine/202...match-loo.html
    My hearth is a taker. My head will ask for some sort of financial to be convinced. 10 teams would be required for a 9 rounds round robin tournament with norms possibilities. If a province fails to send a team, a replacement team of players form any province should be allowed to reach the 10 teams limit.

Nobody knows when COVID-19 restrictions will be lifted and when this tournament could be held.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    My hearth is a taker. My head will ask for some sort of financial to be convinced. 10 teams would be required for a 9 rounds round robin tournament with norms possibilities. If a province fails to send a team, a replacement team of players form any province should be allowed to reach the 10 teams limit.

Nobody knows when COVID-19 restrictions will be lifted and when this tournament could be held.
    Read the article!
    This is an online event. No need to worry about norm possibilities with a rating limit of 2200.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Read the article!
    This is an online event. No need to worry about norm possibilities with a rating limit of 2200.
    I am concentrating on what matters for most players : over the board tournaments.

Blog Entries

I am concentrating on what matters for most players : over the board tournaments.
    I was just throwing it out there. Five or six years ago we had a couple of people interested in a National Team event (presumably online).

I think Fred´s idea is a valid one and deserving exploring further. If we are going to only concentrate on OTB then there is not much to do at present, as there are not OTB tournaments happening now. So, I think is perfectly valid to concentrate on other matters that are not OTB, at least until the pandemic recedes. In fact, browsing the latest topics discussed in this forum, the vast majority of the issues lately are not about OTB.

Fred's proposal has a lot of interesting possibilities. It is similar to the Chess.com leagues tournaments (and other chess leagues). In fact the Maritime Chess Club recently participated in one of those Chess.com league tournaments, so my guess is that Fred (who coordinated MCC participation there) might have some insights into these kind of events.

Having a national (province and/or territories) championship online would be something worth discussing. It could build upon the foundation of the already significant experience that CFC has amassed in online games. It could have several sections (based on CFC ratings). It should be CFC-rated (for active, of course not regular). It could be the first of such events that is ran not by local organizers (as it has happened with all CFC-rated online tournaments held until now) but ran by a nation-wide group of TD in a truly national effort. It should not need much more effort than what has been done so far... I see so many positives! Of course, what do I know...

Cheers,
    Jose

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Fernandez Triana View Post
    I think Fred´s idea is a valid one and deserving exploring further. If we are going to only concentrate on OTB then there is not much to do at present, as there are not OTB tournaments happening now. So, I think is perfectly valid to concentrate on other matters that are not OTB, at least until the pandemic recedes. In fact, browsing the latest topics discussed in this forum, the vast majority of the issues lately are not about OTB.

Fred's proposal has a lot of interesting possibilities. It is similar to the Chess.com leagues tournaments (and other chess leagues). In fact the Maritime Chess Club recently participated in one of those Chess.com league tournaments, so my guess is that Fred (who coordinated MCC participation there) might have some insights into these kind of events.

Having a national (province and/or territories) championship online would be something worth discussing. It could build upon the foundation of the already significant experience that CFC has amassed in online games. It could have several sections (based on CFC ratings). It should be CFC-rated (for active, of course not regular). It could be the first of such events that is ran not by local organizers (as it has happened with all CFC-rated online tournaments held until now) but ran by a nation-wide group of TD in a truly national effort. It should not need much more effort than what has been done so far... I see so many positives! Of course, what do I know...

Cheers,
    Jose
    An easier first step might be having a Club Championship. There are already at least a half dozen Canadian clubs on Chess.com / Lichess.org

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    An easier first step might be having a Club Championship. There are already at least a half dozen Canadian clubs on Chess.com / Lichess.org
    I agree that a club championship and a National Team Championship are two different events.

I also take note that contrary to other countries who have organized a Club Championship, the CFC does not assign the players to a club on a fixed date, such as August 31st and does not have transfer rules to prevent team optimization. Apart from that, I am considering organizing it online on lichess.

Blog Entries

I agree that a club championship and a National Team Championship are two different events.

I also take note that contrary to other countries who have organized a Club Championship, the CFC does not assign the players to a club on a fixed date, such as August 31st and does not have transfer rules to prevent team optimization. Apart from that, I am considering organizing it online on lichess.
    I like the idea of a maximum rating average for a given line-up.