Thread: CFC to launch new website

Default CFC to launch new website

We have been working to clear malware warnings from our website since they first appeared on July 3. Not all web browsers display the warning, for example Microsoft Edge. Initial efforts to clean up the problem proved unsuccessful. After a more thorough investigation, we can expect further security breaches in our future and hiring expensive talent to maintain the system. The problem is with the Drupal content management system. Hackers have been able to exploit security weaknesses not known when our site was built.

Don Parakin of the Willowdale Chess Club has generously offered his time to build us a new website. We are targeting July 24 as our launch date. At that time the basic functions: tournament listings, members lookup for expiry dates and ratings, etc. will all be there. More complex features like your tournament history will follow over the next 2 months. We should have a fully functioning website in time for the return of OTB chess.

Until the new web site is launched, Microsoft Edge can be used to access the old site, and after the launch of the new site we will have a mechanism to access the old site until all of the features are implemented.

That is a tremendous initiative from Don, thanks on behalf of the whole CFC!!!

That is great to hear Bob, and thanks to Don as well!
    However, I have to say that, unfortunately. Microsoft Edge does not seem to work for the old site either. I have tried a couple of times and get the same security message than with trying with either Moxilla, Chrome or Internet Explorer... Not complaining just a FYI.
    Cheers,
    Jose

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Fernandez Triana View Post
    That is great to hear Bob, and thanks to Don as well!
    However, I have to say that, unfortunately. Microsoft Edge does not seem to work for the old site either. I have tried a couple of times and get the same security message than with trying with either Moxilla, Chrome or Internet Explorer... Not complaining just a FYI.
    Cheers,
    Jose
    That's interesting as it works for all of us who have been conferring on this issue. Anyone needing a rating or expiry date look-up can just e-mail Bob, until the new chess.ca site is ready.

Hurrah, the new website is online for me!
    It should be available for everyone over the next 24 hours.

It may take a day or two ++? to get the warnings cancelled.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Hurrah, the new website is online for me!
    It should be available for everyone over the next 24 hours.

It may take a day or two ++? to get the warnings cancelled.
    I was able to bring the new site up in Google Chrome with Chess.ca ............ I clicked on the OLD Chess.ca button and went to a screen outlining the issues, crossed my fingers and clicked on the Go to OLD Chess.ca button and what do you know it worked. At this point not everybody may get these results, but as Bob says hopefully in a day or two .......

Right now the two important features we wanted to start with were
    1. Rating look-up
    2. Upcoming CFC tournaments

More features should come every week.

When everything is working, will we be able to look up an individual's tournament history from the "Rating look-up" screen - as was available on the old website?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    When everything is working, will we be able to look up an individual's tournament history from the "Rating look-up" screen - as was available on the old website?
    Yes, when everything is working. What we have now is an emergency rewrite since our old site was completely blocked. The essential functions were 1) list of upcoming tournaments and 2) lookup of players' last rating and CFC expiry (which organizers need to run a tournament). I was able to build 2) quickly using just the old tdlist.txt file. Complete rating and tournament histories are coming but it will take some time to build. If you need it now, you can still go to the OLD chess.ca website.
    Last edited by Don Parakin; 07-24-2020 at 01:00 PM.

In the migration to the new website, I have lost the ability to audit the rating system.
    Vincent Chow built a very useful program for me that collected data from the rating list.
    It now does not work. I'm hoping this is on the list of work yet to be done.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

We are making progress on the new website.

As of today, you can now see your tournament history ( at least back to 2006).
    Easiest way to get there:
    Use Quick links on homepage - Ratings
    Enter your CFC number or name & click search.
    Your top line summary data appears.
    Click on the little green button left of your name.
    And there you go!!!

I have been told that the youngsters will have no problem finding this,
    so these step by step instructions are for the old farts like myself.

More functionality in the pipeline.
    Many thanks to Don Parakin for his work.