Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Elephant in the Room - Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I'm having my 6th online tournament this Saturday, but even with anti-cheating measures I just can't bring myself to hold tournaments with $40-50 entry fees on this medium. We have to keep the risk greater than the reward (of cheating).
    http://mcc.devastation.ca/mccqck620.html
    I applaud you for the CFC-rated online events that people like you are building for Canadians (and more?!). So far, I would prefer Chess.com, but whatever.

But to tie into what you're saying about registration fees, I agree with lower registration fees and virtually no prizes, just people playing for fun (and rating).

I second Aris comment. On both accounts: recognizing the work done by Fred organizing those events (perhaps the first one who started CFC-rated online tournaments) and also by keeping it low-entry fee and low-prize funding. As Aris said, if you are playing in one of those you are just doing it for the love of game and a meaningful rating (as opposed to meaningless ratings in Chess.com/Lichess, etc.). In the example of the Quebec Open posted before, the entry fee is somewhat comparable to OTB (as it probably the prize), which makes no that much sense in an online environment where cheating may still be huge (except perhaps for the world elite and their supertournaments).
    What some people do not seem to understand is the different animal that online chess is. It is faster-paced (usually played blitz and rapid, I am not even accounting for bullet here), and thus more error-prone (even Magnus blundered a few times in the recent tournaments he played). It is WAY LESS perfect than OTB, and purists would not like it. BUT, it also allows for more rounds to be had in the same period of time, it is more flexible for schedule, easier to organize, allows participation from all over the country/world, and it is (or it should be) a more economical choice as well.
    Cheers,
    Jose

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Fernandez Triana View Post
    I second Aris comment. On both accounts: recognizing the work done by Fred organizing those events (perhaps the first one who started CFC-rated online tournaments) and also by keeping it low-entry fee and low-prize funding. As Aris said, if you are playing in one of those you are just doing it for the love of game and a meaningful rating (as opposed to meaningless ratings in Chess.com/Lichess, etc.). In the example of the Quebec Open posted before, the entry fee is somewhat comparable to OTB (as it probably the prize), which makes no that much sense in an online environment where cheating may still be huge (except perhaps for the world elite and their supertournaments).
    What some people do not seem to understand is the different animal that online chess is. It is faster-paced (usually played blitz and rapid, I am not even accounting for bullet here), and thus more error-prone (even Magnus blundered a few times in the recent tournaments he played). It is WAY LESS perfect than OTB, and purists would not like it. BUT, it also allows for more rounds to be had in the same period of time, it is more flexible for schedule, easier to organize, allows participation from all over the country/world, and it is (or it should be) a more economical choice as well.
    Cheers,
    Jose
    In my personal opinion, here's what I'm hoping for CFC online chess:
    - availability on multiple platforms (at least at Chess.com and LiChess)
    - low entry fees to cover automated CFC rating changes + a little bit
    (with enough volume, this can change CFC membership model)
    - instill tradition of no money prizes, just playing for the sheer fun of it
    - never ever affect CFC Regular rating, only Active, Quick, etc.
    (but let online Regular length games to be rated Active, etc.)

For example, what if someone set up a Friday evening 90+30 pickup event, where people who sign in by 745pm get paired by 8pm (Eastern, so 5pm on the west coast). Each game would cost $1, which would at least cover the rating fees, and then the leftover could be in lieu of an annual membership fee. I'm not saying that this idea is perfect, but it seems like a potential starting point. I personally heavily prefer playing OTB, but I think there's a lot of people who, when you remove the time-expense-commitment of playing online, would find it quite easy to settle in at home with a late dinner and a couple of pops to play a game at comfortable speed. Then at the end of their game, they might watch some others, or watch TV before taking less than two dozen steps to fall into their bed lol.

I agree with Jose that this pandemic seems to be shining a light on a potential complimentary chess avenue that many of us would try out. Just my 2c worth.

(added later)

N.B. in my humble opinion, we MUST reserve the following ONLY for OTB:
    - normally the only way to change CFC Regular rating (or FIDE Standard)
    - normally the only way to win prize money (given online cheating fears)
    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; 07-17-2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added N.B.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

The CFC's COVID-19 Rating Incentive currently allows regular CFC ratings to be changed (upward) if a player performs well enough in Quick TC online CFC rated games. I think this may be a very useful way to encourage at least some additional people to get CFC memberships, than if regular CFC ratings were never to be affected by online play. A bigger question thus is, are significantly more people likely to get CFC memberships only if they can change their regular CFC ratings by way of CFC rated online play, and not just by meeting the criteria of the COVID-19 Rating Incentive.

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ting-Incentive
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 07-17-2020 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Adding link
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    The CFC's COVID-19 Rating Incentive currently allows regular CFC ratings to be changed (upward) if a player performs well enough in Quick TC online CFC rated games. I think this may be a very useful way to encourage at least some additional people to get CFC memberships, than if regular CFC ratings were never to be affected by online play. A bigger question thus is, are significantly more people likely to get CFC memberships only if they can change their regular CFC ratings by way of CFC rated online play, and not just by meeting the criteria of the COVID-19 Rating Incentive.

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ting-Incentive
    A decision was made that any new CFC players during the pandemic period would not be able to take advantage of the incentive program. However, I've done fairly well with new players at my tournaments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12