Thread: Problems with tdlist.txt

Default Problems with tdlist.txt

In the this file, a coma is missing before the name of the city, I can easily correct that.

The FIDE rating of almost everybody with a FIDE ID is set to 0. According to this file, Richard Bérubé has a FIDE rating of 0.

This file is still important because, contrary to the .mde file, it is humanly readable on all Operating Systems. The two pairings software that are mentioned on the CFC website are not the only one that are endorsed by FIDE. Other pairing software depends on tdlist.txt for the importation of the players. Choosing a proprietary format own by Microsoft for the players list will only cause a lot of trouble for those who are using Linux or MacOS. In Access 2007, the only one that I own, the characters use an unrecognized encoding and any word with an accent is garbled.

Unless I have missed a free and Open Source way of opening an .mde file with the correct encoding, the tdlist.txt file is still required and the CFC should maintain it properly.

I asked Bob Gillanders about this. He said many years ago, his predecessors did keep the FIDE rating field up to date. Then they just added a link on the chess.ca site, using the players FIDE id, to link to FIDE web site which has the player's latest FIDE rating. It was just too much work keeping an up to date copy of FIDE ratings locally. Years ago, Bob deleted (set to zero) most of the ratings in the CFC's tdlist.txt file. He said you are the first person to notice/request this (most, I guess, use just the CFC ratings).

FYI, the .mde file does not have the FIDE ratings either. This would be a new requirement. Swiss-Manager / Swiss-Sys get FIDE ratings from FIDE.
    Last edited by Don Parakin; 06-01-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parakin View Post
    I asked Bob Gillanders about this. He said many years ago, his predecessors did keep the FIDE rating field up to date. Then they just added a link on the chess.ca site, using the players FIDE id, to link to FIDE web site which has the player's latest FIDE rating. It was just too much work keeping an up to date copy of FIDE ratings locally. Years ago, Bob deleted (set to zero) most of the ratings in the CFC's tdlist.txt file. He said you are the first person to notice/request this (most, I guess, use just the CFC ratings).

FYI, the .mde file does not have the FIDE ratings either. This would be a new requirement. Swiss-Manager / Swiss-Sys get FIDE ratings from FIDE.
    Thank you for this explanation. tdlsit.txt does indeed contains the FIDE ID from which it is possible to get the FIDE rating.