Thread: CFC weekly ratings & online games

Default CFC weekly ratings & online games

Hello all,

I trust we are all following the guidelines of social distancing! The date when we can all return safely to "over the board" or REAL chess is hopefully not too far off. But who knows. I have maintained the weekly rating schedule to this point, but not very many events rated these past 2 weeks. Next update is scheduled for April 1 and weekly updates will continue if there is anything to update. We have regulars with private matches and small groups so we will want to keep them happy.

We have had inquiries about CFC Rating online events. Several clubs (Mississauga, Hamilton, etc) are offering online tournaments for their members either thru LiChess or Chess(dot)com. I am getting feedback whether or not they might want their events CFC rated. I would like to hear from others if there is an interest. Feedback so far is mixed. Some are very concerned about cheating and thus putting the integrity of our rating system in jeopardy.

The CFC executive is currently discussing the possibility of rating online events and what safeguards and guidelines are necessary. The majority opinion appears to be that we would restrict online play to the Quick (Active) ratings only. Thus protecting the integrity of the Regular ratings.

Your thoughts? Post here or send me the CFC an email.

Keep well everyone, and go wash your hands.

Blog Entries

I think at some point we might start to rate regular games online as well but perhaps it is too soon until we are assured that cheating is not possible. Perhaps we can quick rate long games for now. Chess.com has anti-cheating measures which can even flag innocent behaviour occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I think at some point we might start to rate regular games online as well but perhaps it is too soon until we are assured that cheating is not possible. Perhaps we can quick rate long games for now. Chess.com has anti-cheating measures which can even flag innocent behaviour occasionally.
    I would prefer that there's NO cross-pollination between over-the-board and online ratings.

And I can confirm Chess.com false positives, I had a student's account incorrectly banned.

Default Rating Internet Chess Games

The CFC Executive can modify this handbook section to deal with the situation we find on the ground.

Perhaps the players can be allowed to agree to waive the TD rule if they are doing a private match.

440. Rating Internet Games [Motion 2012-T Leblanc/McKim]

Events played over the internet may be submitted for CFC rating provided that:

i) Conditions of play are advertised ahead of the event and agreed to by all participants

ii) A non-playing TD must be present at each playing site to ensure that normal tournament regulations and playing conditions are upheld.

iii) Along with all the information that is usually sent to CFC, an event that has games played on the internet shall also provide the following information:

a) moves from games played over the internet

b) The names of TDs present at each site,

c) provide the website where the games took place.

d) provide the internet handles of the participants.

Blog Entries

On Saturday a CFC Quick Chess (referred to as Active on the CFC site) Rated event was held on Chess.com. We had 26 players who are all part of the Maritime Chess Club who play 4 times a week (2 at chess.com and 2 at lichess.org). I also have set up an online version of my Junior chess group, UPEI Junior Chess Club which plays 5 times a week at Chesskid.com.

http://mcc.devastation.ca/maritime_ol.html

Contact me for more information.
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 04-06-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Why don't you just use an internet rating for those who play on line.you can start with our regular and Active ratings if you like but those ratings will not effect our OTB ratings.

ie my OTB rating is 1453 use that but when you post my wins and loses create an internet rating. So that internet rating changes not my OTB rating. Then you can rate my games as internet games played.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
    Why don't you just use an internet rating for those who play on line.you can start with our regular and Active ratings if you like but those ratings will not effect our OTB ratings.

ie my OTB rating is 1453 use that but when you post my wins and loses create an internet rating. So that internet rating changes not my OTB rating. Then you can rate my games as internet games played.
    John, that would be a lot more work. Better to just weather this temporary storm.