Thread: CANCELLED: 2020 Kingston Easter Chess

Unhappy CANCELLED: 2020 Kingston Easter Chess

Given the COVID-19 situation, I've been informed by Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington Public Health to cancel this event at this time.

It's tough to find words to make up for the loss of what was shaping up to be a superb chesscation! Thanks to everyone being so supportive.

Of course all payments will be fully refunded. If by e-transfer, please confirm to me by email, the specific email address for me to e-transfer to.

Please appreciate that I have to refund about $30K, with a $3K daily limit, so this might take up to the end of this month to refund everyone.

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis, Organizer, Kingston Easter Chess (KEC).

During this process of determining whether to cancel or not, I have found some tremendously insightful information regarding this huge COVID-19 challenge.

I have sent the following link to many people, but the vast majority of people find this article too long to read. It's an investment of at least 15 minutes to do so, and I deeply and sincerely encourage you to do so. In my opinion, and in the opinion of most medical expertise, the COVID-19 challenge is greater than it may intuitively appear to be to most of us. However, most people still seem to be holding on to their intuitive evaluations of the situation. On the other hand, latest quick studies are realizing that asymptomatic transmission is a greater driver of virus spread than previously thought. A side effect of this is that it lessens the effectiveness of trying to contain COVID-19 via infection identification. Regardless, except for a handful of very sharply prepared countries, most countries now already have too many cases (mostly unidentified yet), that are driving exponential spread, that are leading to overwhelmed health care systems. What makes this so bad is that people will die from the virus. That was practically inevitable. But then more (many more in some countries) will die from lack of health care.

So now the counter-attack from humanity is Social Distancing. I know most people still scoff at this. But again, read this article. We need Social Distancing.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Social Distancing vs. COVID-19 (really simple visual article)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Of course all payments will be fully refunded. If by e-transfer, please confirm to me by email, the specific email address for me to e-transfer to.

Please appreciate that I have to refund about $30K, with a $3K daily limit, so this might take up to the end of this month to refund everyone.
    I just wanted to take a moment to express that I am quite touched by some of you who, via your request for your refund, are offering funds to help minimize the financial loss that cancelling this event is entailing. This is tremendously gracious on your behalf, and I am trying to call each of you individually (but I also have a 10-year-old at home lol). Thank you very much! And by the way, I've hit my e-transfer $3K limit for the last 24 hours, so there is now a temporary lull in refunds.