Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus COVID-19 pandemic and tournaments

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Corona Virus COVID-19 pandemic and tournaments

I have been asked to make some kind of announcement regarding the Corona virus that has been sweeping the globe. Specifically I have been asked about participation of Canadians in events like the Pan Am Youth Festival and North American Youth Chess Championship. It is likely that many world chess events will be delayed, postponed or cancelled due to concerns about the virus. Children and young adults seem to be somewhat immune to the effects of the virus which seems to mimic other flu bugs but they can transmit it to older individuals and people with health issues and this can have devastating and deadly consequences.

We will not be registering anyone in events like the Pan Am at this time. Events with direct entry like the North American Youth Chess Championship may go on, though they are also likely to be postponed.

Today, the World Senior Team Championship has been suspended and concluded after seven rounds.

We are in new territory here. Seek advice from medical doctors and pay attention to government announcements particularly those of the Canadian and U.S. government. Don't take risks and don't behave in risky ways. Someone could die, if you are careless.

The Prime Minister's wife has tested positive for the virus. Being relatively young we hope and pray that she will make a quick and full recovery and that it does not spread further within their family or their community. This can hit anyone. Be safe.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 03-19-2021 at 01:28 PM.

Dear Chess Communities,

In the light of the current COVID-19 outbreak and government directives, CFC will cancel the qualification requirements for 2020 CYCC. Players can register into CYCC directly.

It is an uncertain time and we urge everyone to remain calm and follow recommendations from the health and government authorities. Please follow CFC website for future announcements and updates

Sincerely,
    Christina Tao
    CFC Youth Coordinator

I have passed along the following link to many people, but relatively few of them seem to have read the whole thing. I believe that it is worth investing that time.

As of the writing this post, in the last 48 hours, this link has been hit 18 million times, and translated into 13 languages. The math seems straightfoward to many.

However, please note that I am neither a mathematician nor a doctor. And I remain open to other suggested readings.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca
    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; 03-13-2020 at 03:50 PM. Reason: typo

Thank you Vlad, Christina and Aris for providing leadership and communicating clearly in these challenging times!

Coronavirus Announcement by FIDE Qualification Commission

"It is not the responsibility of FIDE to cancel FIDE-rated tournaments in any given Federation. Each Federation may take their own decisions in accordance with their own constitution and statutes regarding FIDE-rated chess within their Federation."

"A number of tournaments have been cancelled by the local or national government while they were in progress [...] For the avoidance of doubt, rating files with fewer than the registered number of rounds will be permitted for FIDE rating."

Given the COVID-19 situation, I've been informed by Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington Public Health to cancel this event at this time.

It's tough to find words to make up for the loss of what was shaping up to be a superb chesscation! Thanks to everyone being so supportive.

Of course all payments will be fully refunded. If by e-transfer, please confirm to me by email, the specific email address for me to e-transfer to.

Please appreciate that I have to refund about $30K, with a $3K daily limit, so this might take up to the end of this month to refund everyone.

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis, Organizer, Kingston Easter Chess (KEC).

Blog Entries

I have started moving my students to online classes only. Last Friday was our last Windsor Friday face to face class until this pandemic passes. We should be able to continue classes online. There are no confirmed cases of the COVID-19 corona virus in Windsor yet but better safe than sorry. We are all in this together. Lets stop this from killing any more people than it already has.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 03-15-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Blog Entries

At this point most chess tournaments in March, April and May aside from smaller events should have been cancelled. Officials in the U.S. are calling for bans on all events of more than 10 or 25. In Ontario, I believe the number is 50. Tim Hortons is closing its dining rooms and only allowing takeout and drive through orders. As of today, there are no reported cases locally in Windsor but someone just died in Ontario. A key worry is when everyone starts returning from spring break.

Please note that the CCA has postponed the continental events scheduled through May 30.

Requests from the organizers regarding both components of the 2020 Olympiad, Khanty-Mansiysk and Moscow, were sent to FIDE. An announcement will be made in due time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast