Thread: 5A2) Canadian Sports Tourism Alliance Conference in March

Blog Entries

Default 5A2) Canadian Sports Tourism Alliance Conference in March

This is for discussion of the CSTA SEC conference at the end of March 2020.

To our Western Canada friends, I would be very interested in discussing possibilities in Alberta & B.C. If anyone wants to email me directly, please feel free!

arismarghetis at rogers dot com

I am looking for support for the BC vs Alberta match. It will be held in Vernon in July 2020 and may possibly become an annual event.
    The Vernon Chamber of Commerce was unable to provide any support. Perhaps Kelowna or some other municipal group in the Okanagan
    would like us to bring the event to their city
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

What are the particulars? What is the size of the event? Usually you have to submit items up to two years in advance as this is the planning horizon for most tourism bureaus though sometimes they do have some discretion for last minute events.

As the name implies, the CSTA is about sport tourism. Many, (though not all) Municipalities are willing to support new events that bring people to their cities. The prospect of hotel nights is our biggest attraction. Vernon expressed interest at the Convention last year in Ottawa but I don't think it was the Chamber of Commerce. Maybe this year we can get them in touch with you Paul.

Details for the BC vs Alberta match and the Vernon Open are on the BCCF website here: http://www.chess.bc.ca/
    The 2020 event will have 60 players and I have a block of 30 hotel rooms. If anyone saved the contact information for the Vernon representative, I could use it.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    Details for the BC vs Alberta match and the Vernon Open are on the BCCF website here: http://www.chess.bc.ca/
    The 2020 event will have 60 players and I have a block of 30 hotel rooms. If anyone saved the contact information for the Vernon representative, I could use it.
    Hello Paul, I would also be interested in Vernon contacts, thanks!

Blog Entries

https://www.tourismvernon.com/en/see...px?_mid_=99804

I would start at their website. On first look, I don't recall meeting Vernon tourism officials but I could be wrong on that.