Thread: Chatting with Vladimir Kramnik

Blog Entries

Default Chatting with Vladimir Kramnik

I had the opportunity to spend two and a half hours with Vladimir Kramnik and several other chess players from around the world in a group chat on Skype that ended about 2:30 pm or so. It is always a great experience to be able to pick the brain of such a chess player and chess thinker. Once I organize the seventeen pages of notes I took I will try to convey some of the highlights from my point of view. I got to ask several questions and he talked at length on several of them. The impression of Vladimir that I got from previous interviews in magazines that he was thoughtful, well-spoken and intelligent man and the conversations confirmed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I had the opportunity to spend two and a half hours with Vladimir Kramnik and several other chess players from around the world in a group chat on Skype that ended about 2:30 pm or so. It is always a great experience to be able to pick the brain of such a chess player and chess thinker. Once I organize the seventeen pages of notes I took I will try to convey some of the highlights from my point of view. I got to ask several questions and he talked at length on several of them. The impression of Vladimir that I got from previous interviews in magazines that he was thoughtful, well-spoken and intelligent man and the conversations confirmed that.
    WOW, that sounds AWESOME!

Blog Entries

Sometimes not succeeding is critical to a later success. Vladimir Kramnik said that while the loss to Shirov was painful at the time, it laid the groundwork for his later successful match against Garry Kasparov.

Vladimir when discussing the Sun Tzu book "Art of War" said that when he read this book he saw it was very much a book about and applicable to chess.

You cannot progress without self-improvement. He mentioned that he was always trying to compete with the Vladimir Kramnik of yesterday more than he was competing with anyone else.

Its mathematically obvious that it is more important to know yourself, and understand yourself, rather to know your opponent because in every game you are playing and your opponent changes from game to game. The process of knowing has to be constant because you are always changing. Every year you are a little different. If it were static it would be simpler. It is good if you change.

The process is more important than the goal.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 10-21-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Vladimir was asked about books on the Catalan and stated that Avrukh's original book on the Catalan was quite good and was based in part on the analysis done when they were working together. He was very positive about Boris as a player and writer. He himself didn't consult books to study the Catalan but he recommends to study the books of strong players. He said that one of ten books is really good and two of ten were okay and seven were not so good. The author should be a very good player. Find a book by a good player or even commented games annotated by a strong player.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 10-21-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Life is full of lessons. Sometimes positive, sometimes negative. What is important is to make use of them.

It is one thing to know and another to implement.

All of these posts are notes from the Skype call with Vladimir Kramnik.

You cannot teach a person, they can learn.

Talent is basically an ability to learn.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 10-21-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Blog Entries

You have to find your own vision of chess, and build it yourself.

Listen to me but not too much. Have respect but you need to be responsible for your life.

Try to consult a number of players and take information from all of them.

Its your life and your decision.

Thanks vlad!!