Thread: Why would "Revenue Canada" be calling from Texas?

Blog Entries

Default Why would "Revenue Canada" be calling from Texas?

I guess the do not call lists and robocall scams are not bearing fruit in the US so they are calling Canada. Unfortunately there was not a person on the other end and they can spoof phone numbers these days but it is annoying to get these on a cell phone. I have relatives in Texas and so answered the unknown number to get a recorded message telling me to call some other number or face immediate prison. I like to live dangerously so I will ignore their threats. Revenue Canada tends to be a bit more courteous than these scammers.

Blog Entries

And another thing,... my netflix account is constantly being cancelled and they want me to click on a link to re-establish my account. I have never had NetFlix. I don't want NetFlix. I will never have Netflix. I will never want Netflix.

My AppleID has on the same day allegedly been used in Turkmenistan and Amsterdam. I had an AppleID when I was supporting one of my boss's Apple Iphones when I was working in IT. I probably have not used it in seven or eight years. It is doubtful that they actually have my AppleID which I don't use and which I have largely forgotten. I am not sure why I would want to use that.

Finally, I get these notices that someone has bought a $500 or $250 Amazon gift certificate in a fishy transaction using my account. If I want to stop it, they want you to click on the link. Similar are all the bank phishing expeditions. Does anyone aside from the Democratic National Committee fall for these kind of things?

Blog Entries

Finally I am informed in a somewhat official looking email that people are logging in to my Ubisoft account from various exotic locales. My default is not to trust such emails. Not to mention that I don't recall having any such account. Anyway, I google up Ubisofts website and try to log in. I am unsuccessful but there is a provision to reset the password which I exercise. I reset the account with the email that comes. It appears that at some point I did have this account since one of the pieces of information is a birthdate. This is troubling because it is one of the building blocks of identity fraud.

Ubisoft is a maker of video and online games. The only games that I have bought in recent history would be Chessmaster going back to the 1990s and maybe some games for the Amiga in the 1980s. Obviously I must have registered some product at some point.