Thread: Regarding 2019 CFC Outgoing Annual Meeting

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Default Regarding 2019 CFC Outgoing Annual Meeting

Currently all discussion in two discussion threads I'm interested in, for the 2019 CFC Outgoing Annual Meeting, have stalled out for quite some time now. That is, for the CFC-FQE deal renewal thread and for the GoMembership thread (the latter thread in fact so far has had no posts of substance made to it by VMs or Execs whatsoever). Given the concern these topics might cause CFC members besides myself (let alone VMs/Execs), I'm surprised that there have been no further developments in the discussions. I hope this is not a sign of one or two possible crises for the CFC and its members being left unresolved for a long time to come - the discussion that does exist thus far does not seem to convey a sense of urgency, if it is warranted, for either topic.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Currently all discussion in two discussion threads I'm interested in, for the 2019 CFC Outgoing Annual Meeting, have stalled out for quite some time now. That is, for the CFC-FQE deal renewal thread and for the GoMembership thread (the latter thread in fact so far has had no posts of substance made to it by VMs or Execs whatsoever). Given the concern these topics might cause CFC members besides myself (let alone VMs/Execs), I'm surprised that there have been no further developments in the discussions. I hope this is not a sign of one or two possible crises for the CFC and its members being left unresolved for a long time to come - the discussion that does exist thus far does not seem to convey a sense of urgency, if it is warranted, for either topic.
    Go Membership is important because it will allow the CFC to scale up and streamline and it will also allow willing clubs, organizers, and provincial organizations to join an integrated membership and payment system which even can integrate with our accounting system. It requires some time investment now which should pay huge dividends immediately and later for years to come. It is not a crisis. It is an opportunity.

With regard to the CFC-FQE deal, it is not something that can be argued out during a voting members meeting. We had some discussion which provided context and useful information. We have a better idea of the situation of the FQE with regard to the operating grant from the provincial government. Our job in the coming months and weeks is to convey the situation of the CFC to the FQE and to come to an accommodation where we can move forward together. A failure to reach an agreement would be tragic for all parties but most of all for chess in Canada and chess in Quebec.

The original CFC-FQE deal provided the CFC with a boost when we really needed it and helped us pay FIDE related expenses mostly around Olympiad teams. The CFC's financial position has improved since those days and continues to improve. We've done many things right along the way and some things wrong and this has built momentum. We would not have had Canadian Olympic Committee recognition without the CFC-FQE deal. Without the COC we would not have been invited to the Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance conference which has led to a huge increase in interest in hosting CFC tournaments including our Canadian Closeds, Zonals, Canadian Open and CYCC. Our approach has to evolve based on these new realities. In the past we had to beg and sometimes pay organizers to organize these events and now we are making multi-year long term arrangements where we have multiple cities interested and making sponsorship offers.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Thanks for addressing my concerns, Vlad.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Thanks for addressing my concerns, Vlad.
    No problem, its part of the job.