Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.2 Discussion - Change deadline for Women's Olympiad Team

Blog Entries

Default 5.2 Discussion - Change deadline for Women's Olympiad Team

The Chess Federation of Canada shall modify the deadlines for the Women's team so that the results of the 2020 and 2022 Canadian Women's Closed Championship to be held in Kingston on the Easter weekend can be taken into account. In general this means that the calculation will be done 90 to 100 days before the start of the Olympiad, immediately after the tournament is concluded.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The Chess Federation of Canada shall modify the deadlines for the Women's team so that the results of the 2020 and 2022 Canadian Women's Closed Championship to be held in Kingston on the Easter weekend can be taken into account. In general this means that the calculation will be done 90 to 100 days before the start of the Olympiad, immediately after the tournament is concluded.
    Is this a one-time thing ? if so it should be stated. Normally the Women's Zonal is held fairly close to the Olympiad, while the Open/Men's is held the year prior. These differences are due to the World Cup and Women's World KO being held in opposite years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Is this a one-time thing ? if so it should be stated. Normally the Women's Zonal is held fairly close to the Olympiad, while the Open/Men's is held the year prior. These differences are due to the World Cup and Women's World KO being held in opposite years.
    We have three years remaining on a four year agreement with Kingston for the Canadian Closed and Canadian Women's Closed so the situation may change after 2022.

Blog Entries

Oops. I didn't read very carefully !

Two Olympiads.

So lets change this until 2022.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    So lets change this until 2022.
    That is the proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Sounds like a good idea to me in principle, as it would certainly encourage participation in the Women's closed and also help select the best team. However, 2020 will be in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russian and 2022 in Minsk Belarus. I believe both these countries require a visa, which according to the internet takes about 20 business days. Does this leave enough time for the participants? If someone is denied a visa, then it would seem that it would be cutting it close to find a replacement. Also, it may be hard for someone to get time off work on such short notice. I remember the one time I was selected, I was not able to get 3 weeks off work (in 1984). For these reasons, I would vote against this motion since I think we need more than 90 days before the event to select the team. I would be very interested in Victor Plotkin's view, since he has much more experience in these matters.

Fair point Ian but I think the merits outweigh the challenges. Staging the Women's Zonal and including it in the Olympic team selection process is vital. I think most of the participants will want to play in the Olympiad and can accommodate the tight timeline. The Olympiad is early this time so we have to work with the squeeze. The visa issue is independent of this motion. Most of the team will apply for their visa after Russia issues the invitations, which will be after our teams are chosen in all likelihood.

Yes, Ian has a good point. Russian relationship with western countries, especially with Canada are much worse now than used to be a few years ago. Still, I believe 3 months should be enough to get visa.

I will try my best to calculate the final rating (average CFC and FIDE +/- bonus for the Canadian Women) as soon as possible after May 1. CFC should contact qualified players as soon as possible after that. It could be useful to get e-mails for top-10 or even top-15 female players well in advance. (Actually, it's good for the National Team also, we all remember LeSiege in 2018).

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Fair point Ian but I think the merits outweigh the challenges. Staging the Women's Zonal and including it in the Olympic team selection process is vital. I think most of the participants will want to play in the Olympiad and can accommodate the tight timeline.
    I agree. Now that the Zonal winner no longer goes to the Women's World Championship, the relative importance of the Olympic qualification has increased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast