Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4.A President's Report

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    The problem here is not only the "quantity" but also the "quality". That's why I believe it's not right to compare CO-2019 with CO in Sault Ste. Marie. I am sure no other CO was so weak in last 20 years. At least 20 years. If CFC wants "to make Canadian Open great again" (as it was 10-20 years ago) we should change our approach to this tournament.
    We are changing our approach out of necessity. I believe that 2021 will be the first year that will see a very different approach to this tournament from the Executive and will likely carry over into all future years. Next year, while only slightly impacted by the CSTA will be the last one where we don't talk extensively with the local cities first. Next year we have good, experienced organizers right next to the GTA. There is no doubt that the CYCC will be a big success. I hope and expect that the Canadian Open will also be a great success.

What would you suggest that we do to make the Canadian Open great again?

Blog Entries

Right now the Canadian Open would be a hard sell for organizers if it wasn't attached to the CYCC. The Canadian Open loses money while the CYCC usually makes money because of the economies of scale with having several hundred competitors versus 130 or less for the Canadian Open. Most organizers are not able to tap into very much in the way of sponsorship. Chess players tend to be a frugal lot so offering reduced price hotel rates is not enough to fill hotel rooms for a game a day tournament when there are cheaper alternatives like AirBnb or even less expensive motels. At the outset approaching a hotel, other than in a remote area or under special circumstances is going to be difficult. You probably have to start with the tourism officials and city officials who are more interested in "heads in beds" in general rather than in a particular hotel's beds. Ideally those city officials will be able to provide some cash, a low cost or no cost venue and perhaps some accommodations for GMs. That is just a starting point.

Once you have all of that and you have secured the bid then the tournament has to be marketed to sponsors and potential players. I think this is where things fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Once you have all of that and you have secured the bid then the tournament has to be marketed to sponsors and potential players. I think this is where things fall apart.
    Long ago, we reached the conclusion that sponsors wants visibility and that the number of chess players in Canada is too low to interest a sponsor. Sponsors also prefers top world class players.

We are trying to build our sport Top-down but it should be built bottom-up. The bottom being a large number of young players playing just for fun. Baseball Quebec new umpires must pass 2 years in non-competitive minor baseball. This is not a loss of time because it grows the pool from which they can draw competitive strength players. Most sports recognise as distinct minor activities. Everywhere there is the sport equivalent of the GTCL, there is an associated minor baseball assassination of Toronto. Minor branch is recognised as being distinct with a distinct management. Minor chess branches would be attached to Provincial Association and would not required Constitutional change at our level.

We also need enough trainers to train those boys and girls. If by any miracle, tomorrow, 20 000 U8 players would decide to learn the game, we could never have the required number of trainers available.

We also need more certified TDs and more organisers and we must ensure that the financial consideration (TD fee) and support are such that the new TDs will not quit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Long ago, we reached the conclusion that sponsors wants visibility and that the number of chess players in Canada is too low to interest a sponsor. Sponsors also prefers top world class players.

We are trying to build our sport Top-down but it should be built bottom-up. The bottom being a large number of young players playing just for fun.
    This is the same thing the FIDE Chess in Schools program is saying. A good model to emulate in Canada is what they did with soccer.

We also need enough trainers to train those boys and girls. If by any miracle, tomorrow, 20 000 U8 players would decide to learn the game, we could never have the required number of trainers available.
    Actually we would. There is this thing called the internet and apps like Skype and Facetime that can be used to deliver lessons from and to anywhere in the world.

We also need more certified TDs and more organisers and we must ensure that the financial consideration (TD fee) and support are such that the new TDs will not quit.
    I would say that organizers are the limiting factor. Usually its an organizer/TD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12