Thread: Bids for National events

Blog Entries

Default Bids for National events

Typically this is the time of year (shortly before the CFC Annual General Meeting) that we receive bids for Upcoming National events. To the best of my knowledge we have only received one bid so far (for the 2020 Canadian Senior). Anyone currently working on a bid, should let us know as soon as possible.

Fred McKim
    CFC Executive

==========================

From https://chess.ca/upcoming-national-events-open-for-bids

Upcoming National Events open for bids

Traditionally the Chess Federation of Canada (CFC) has accepted bids for national events, immediately prior to the AGM, and voted on them at the AGM itself, typically for the following calendar year. While it is expected that a majority of bids will still be approved at the AGM in August, it is expected to be more common for bids to be approved for more than one year out. The submission deadline for approval at the AGM is July 1.

The following are the current 7 Canadian national events open for bidding (the earliest year still to be awarded is in brackets). Additional years (especially for the CO/CYCC pairing) can also be awarded at the next AGM. All "accepted" bids are subject to final negotiation with the CFC Board of Directors.

Canadian Open (2021)

Canadian Youth (2021)

Canadian Closed (2023)

Canadian Women’s Closed (2024)

Canadian Junior (2020)

Canadian Senior (2020)

Canadian Amateur (2020)

Please prepare any bid using the bid form and bid budget provided. Additional information is provided in the Event profile handout.

The following events are the current 2 North American regional events open for bidding (earliest year likely to be awarded to Canada is in brackets). The CFC Board of Directors submits its “best” submitted bid to FIDE America for final approval.

North American Youth (2022)

North American Junior (TBD: 2020 or 2021)

Blog Entries

Several cities have expressed interest in the CYCC/CO and NAYCC. No chess organizers yet on board.

Blog Entries

Default Bid "Deadlines"

The CFC is looking for interested organizers for major upcoming events. Over the past couple of years we have met with representatives of Municipal Sports Tourism Organizations, and there is a clear willingness to partner with Chess organizations. We have names for most major Canadian cities. In recent years we have seen organizers working with such municipal & tourism people even in cities they aren't resident in.

Event - North American Junior
    Date - Summer of 2020
    CFC selects winning bid, which is presented to Continental Association for final approval
    Parties interested in submitting a bid should contact the CFC by Sept 1, 2019
    A final bid could be required as soon as Sept 15, 2019

Event - CYCC & Canadian Open
    Date - Summer of 2021
    CFC selects winning bid
    A final bid could be required as soon as Sept 15, 2019

Event - North American Youth
    Date - Summer of 2022
    CFC selects winning bid, which is presented to Continental Association for final approval
    A final bid could be required as soon as Nov 1, 2019

Contact the CFC Office or an Executive member for more information

Prospective bidders would need to know about the financial commitment required. How much does it cost to organize the NAYCC, the CYCC and the North American Junior?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Prospective bidders would need to know about the financial commitment required. How much does it cost to organize the NAYCC, the CYCC and the North American Junior?
    It depends on how well you control costs and the cost of renting facilities. In general, as long as your rental costs are not ridiculous, you should be able to make money on youth events. In Windsor, we got $5000 from Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island for all three events and we were able to break even on the Canadian Open with 130 participants by spending the $5000 mostly on arbiters for the Canadian Open. I think we might have raised more money if it were not for the fact that we had a figure in mind and raised it in two meetings.

Control spending. What I found particularly frustrating were some bad decisions that we had to pay for and came as a complete surprise on the last day. Fortunately at that point we were looking at a fairly healthy financial result but it still grates me a bit when I look at the left over souvenirs that we overpaid for. We could have had eight or ten DGT boards through the discount program that DGT and the CMA helped us deliver instead of knick knacks that probably wound up in thrift stores.

I think in Windsor in 2016 we were also lucky because I learned from the experience of 2015 when we went into meetings as a committee. This is a mistake, particularly if everyone is not disciplined and focused on staying on message. I went by myself in 2016 and had two hours of meetings which ensured that the tournaments were a success.

Blog Entries

There are lots of opportunities for local communities and their tourism bureaus and city halls to contribute to bringing these tournaments to a community. One of the frustrations of going to the Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance meetings is the many interested communities which offer sponsorship opportunities but which are not being followed up on mostly for lack of organizer interest.

There are many communities in Quebec who are very interested in hosting one or more of these tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    There are many communities in Quebec who are very interested in hosting one or more of these tournaments.
    Could you please send me a list of those cities with contact information privately ?