Thread: Question for Vlad (CFC Presoident)

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Default Question for Vlad (CFC Presoident)

Posted by
    Vladimir Drkulec

05-03-2019, 02:18 PM
    April Quarterly Meeting

Default Items on the CFC to do list

Here are the mostly short term items that we have to deal with as a federation over the course of the next one to three months

1. Fix the problem with PayPal (If we don't fix it we can't get paid)
    2. Fix the problems with the website (virus/trojan warnings, security certificate possibly redo the website)
    3. Implement Go Membership to hopefully free up some of Bob Gillanders time so that we can
    4. Get a better handle on our financials so that we can make timely decisions in an informed manner
    5. Create a communications strategy including newsletter, newsfeed, facebook, website and other social media
    6. Determine what is going on with the FQE - CFC working arrangement.

Not sure if an(y) reply/report should wait for the 2019 CFC AGM, but I thought the above list may be worth commenting on sooner or later, if you care to.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

The paypal issue has been fixed. The website problems are ongoing and will likely be resolved by creating a new website hopefully without the large bill like the last time. We have authorized some expenditures in this area which will help us prepare for a new website. Go Membership has not really been moving forward fast as I would have hoped. The financials are getting closer but long term we do need to have them under better control. We just need more timely information so that we know where we stand when considering expenditures. At the moment, things are going well with increasing activity and membership revenue even given the challenges that we experienced last year but having an early warning system with the financials is important when things turn in a negative direction.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    At the moment, things are going well with increasing activity and membership revenue even given the challenges that we experienced last year
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

5. Create a communications strategy including newsletter, newsfeed, facebook, website and other social media
    6. Determine what is going on with the FQE - CFC working arrangement.
    It's good that things are going well for the CFC at the moment.

On the remaining points on the list, if things are somewhat stalled or going slowly, then on point 5 it seems the CFC might be helped straight away by the Publicity Officer position being filled, though it takes a willing person, ideally with big shoes, to fill it. Otherwise my old thought of having an old-style CFC President's Message now and then (ideally every place, online, mentioned above) might be re-considered as something of a start. That and listing current CFC VMs and Officers on the website (people might ask their local CFC official questions, then, besides any dreaded complaints that may be sent) - I believe others have mentioned the desirability of this before. On point 6, I'm in the dark, but maybe a liaison officer between the CFC and FQE might help in future.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Back to point 6. The CFC-FQE agreement went into effect in 2012 for three years, and I assume that it was not renewed after 2015 (or renewed by default). How much has the CFC collected each year from the FQE since August 1, 2013 (the first anniversary date) under the following points of the original agreement:

* The FQE will pay a 9$ fee per adult membership and 4$ for junior and cadet membership. The payment will occur in the following fashion: On the anniversary date of the agreement, FQE will report its membership per category and pay an annual fee according to those numbers.
    * Annual fees collected are placed in a trust, earmarked for FIDE-related* expenses, overseen by 50% FQE Trustees and 50% CFC Trustees.

The full Agreement an be seen at:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...FC-and-the-FQE
    Last edited by Hugh Brodie; 07-08-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Back to point 6. The CFC-FQE agreement went into effect in 2012 for three years, and I assume that it was not renewed after 2015 (or renewed by default). How much has the CFC collected each year from the FQE since August 1, 2013 (the first anniversary date) under the following points of the original agreement:

* The FQE will pay a 9$ fee per adult membership and 4$ for junior and cadet membership. The payment will occur in the following fashion: On the anniversary date of the agreement, FQE will report its membership per category and pay an annual fee according to those numbers.
    * Annual fees collected are placed in a trust, earmarked for FIDE-related* expenses, overseen by 50% FQE Trustees and 50% CFC Trustees.

The full Agreement an be seen at:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...FC-and-the-FQE
    I think it's safe to say that we were paid for at least the original 3 years (it's all counted for in the CFC financial statements). We are still trying to collect back payments from FQE, for some subsequent years. All of the money we received through this agreement went to the Canadian Olympiad Team. We continue to honour our end of the agreement, although this won't last forever.