Thread: Note to CFC Discussion Board Admin

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Default Note to CFC Discussion Board Admin

There seems to be an influx of 'members' (bots?!) with fake names lately - for example, some have visited my blog, where their 'names' show up as visitors.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

I've notice the same thing on Chesstalk. A posting I made on the French side has over 400 views - more than most posts ever get on the English side.

Blog Entries

I did notice some of the mystery 'members' sending something to themselves via Skype messaging, changing their own Profile - I have seen none of the new 'members' listed as part of the CFC Discussion Board Community.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 02-22-2024 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Adding content
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Blog Entries

Lately there's been half a dozen mystery 'members' names dominating the list of Discussion Board Active Users, at any time I've looked recently. What is their sinister plan? Are any Admin investigating/monitoring yet?
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 03-14-2024 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries

Lately I've noticed all the mystery members I see on 'who's online' are viewing blog(s), at least when they all are messaging their own selves by Skype. I have by far the greatest number of blog entries, so maybe it's possible some link of mine in a blog entry has left open a doorway of some kind(??)

Blog Entries

Post deleted due to accidental duplication.

Blog Entries

At any given time there are usually over 1000 active "users" of which about 950 are search and/or AI scraping bots often from China or, as is the case tonight, Thailand. Google will be in there too, but Google actually pays attention to our bot instructions so they go easy to not bog down the server.

Then there are a few of what you call the random name bots that get through the first couple stages of my bot prevention, but they aren't able to post though they keep trying. Something like 90,000 total have gotten to that point since we opened the forum.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    At any given time there are usually over 1000 active "users" of which about 950 are search and/or AI scraping bots often from China or, as is the case tonight, Thailand. Google will be in there too, but Google actually pays attention to our bot instructions so they go easy to not bog down the server.

Then there are a few of what you call the random name bots that get through the first couple stages of my bot prevention, but they aren't able to post though they keep trying. Something like 90,000 total have gotten to that point since we opened the forum.
    wow, thanks for defending the castle