Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5A5 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - New Business

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Not totally accurate: Quebec cycling sells licence to ride a bicycle in a competition, Quebec Soccer sells a passport, none of which are membership. Under Quebec NFP Law, non-voting members never vote, and as such are not interesting to organizations.

The registered participants still pays an annual fee, but it is not called a membership and it does not grant any membership right.

Rating fees could be used for VM allocations. ECF use the amount of rating fee paid as a basis for the allocation of VM. Regions with lesser population but with many rated tournament can get more VM this way.
    We did look at this idea back when we were going through the continuation process. I think keeping the memberships simply protects us from rapacious members of the board off in the distant future (I haven't seen any rapacious members in the present or recent past - at least at the level of the CFC board). If you try to dissolve the federation you are left with a situation where all the different classes of members, including the non-voting members have to agree with any plan of disposal. The alternative is one where seven board members and a dozen or so voting members could distribute the assets among themselves.

The foundation trustees would put up a fight but would ultimately be unsuccessful in stopping an unscrupulous group with control of the board and control of the voting members if you got rid of the regular (non-voting) memberships. By keeping the memberships you have to bribe 2500 people to be able to pillage the foundation (or least bribe 50% of them) which makes it a much more difficult undertaking.

The catch is that if this model were adopted, running totals would need to be kept and published as provincial affiliates would need to have some clue as to how they're doing.

On the other hand, life members like me who don't play much (in my case largely for geographical reasons - I'm on the north side of Vancouver and most of the events are on the south side with few events less than 45 minutes from home) wouldn't count for much.

ECF is England?

In any case this is getting pretty far afield from the post mortem on the DGT deal.

[QUOTE=Aris Marghetis;30339]It's a softcopy (PDF) magazine that is emailed periodically. It's quite good, and the CFC Office needs your email address in order to send it to you. Do they have it?

Sounds great, who do I send my e-mail to to get the magazine ? The CFC has had it for years. Now I'm curious, how does the CFC maintain a members' contact data bank ?

[QUOTE=Lloyd Lombard;30398]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    It's a softcopy (PDF) magazine that is emailed periodically. It's quite good, and the CFC Office needs your email address in order to send it to you. Do they have it?

Sounds great, who do I send my e-mail to to get the magazine ? The CFC has had it for years. Now I'm curious, how does the CFC maintain a members' contact data bank ?
    I would send it to admin@chess.ca
    I don't know how they manage this
    I find many people lose email mistakenly flagged as spam

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Aris Marghetis;30403]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I would send it to admin@chess.ca
    I don't know how they manage this
    I find many people lose email mistakenly flagged as spam
    You really have to check that spam folder on a regular basis. I find a great deal of important stuff winds up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I have "no" idea what chess magazine you're talking about as I haven't received anything in "many" months (I'm thinking "years").
    Loydd,

According to a thread in the forum English Chat the e-magazine is defunct. However, it’s possible that another copy may be issued some day. The last copy I have mainly covered games from 2016. When the magazine quit coming the CFC Exec apparently allocated the budgeted funds for the magazine to the Olympiad team (CFC money tends to gravitate towards the elite players). If it was part of the package when you signed up you could argue that this is a breach of your contract with the CFC. You agreed to pay $x/yr in return for certain stipulated benefits, one of which was the regular delivery of the magazine. However, that may be a tough sell for you since you weren’t even aware of the magazine ;-)

Blog Entries

Richard

The present CFC Board of Directors has a firm commitment to sending teams to the Open and Womens' Olympiad every two years. This has been the case for a long time. Any shortfall in Olympiad funding comes from our general funds. If we had of used all of the money budgeted for the Newsletter/Newsfeed, we probably would have suffered a loss both of the past two years, which would be OK as technically a non-profit should have both years with a surplus and a loss.

What to do with the newsletter has been a topic of discussion, since our current editor stopped producing issues on a regular basis. Perhaps the Voting Members want us to take some action on this, but there hasn't been a strong push so far. I remember when we talked about a newsletter before, a lot of people simply said they never bothered to read it..........

Personally I would at least like to see a document that could be printed, that outlined all National tournaments and significant International competitions our players participate in. Maybe this becomes a quarterly publication, maybe most articles are limited to 2-3 pages and a couple of games. John's critical positions (ie puzzles) are a nice touch.

Thoughts ?

Fred McKim
    CFC Treasurer
    Newsletter Liaison

After some thoughts - I suggest (move) that a new Editor for the Chess Canada would be searched (and the current one would be terminated). I ask secretary to create a new thread for this discussion.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    After some thoughts - I suggest (move) that a new Editor for the Chess Canada would be searched (and the current one would be terminated). I ask secretary to create a new thread for this discussion.
    This would be the business of the Board of Directors, but certainly a healthy discussion of what the VM's want in the way of a magazine is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    This would be the business of the Board of Directors, but certainly a healthy discussion of what the VM's want in the way of a magazine is welcome.
    I agree, terminating an employee can give rise to Civil liability and such decision shall by taken by the Directors.
    Last edited by Pierre Dénommée; 05-02-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast