Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5A5 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - New Business

Default 5A5 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - New Business

Any other new business can be posted for discussion here

Blog Entries

There have been discussions on the CFC forum by John Coleman and Alex Ferreira regarding the email magazine. They (the magazines and not the comments) have been slow in coming. When they do arrive they are usually quite well done. There is also a newsfeed and facebook pages which fill some of the gaps due to a less than regular email magazine. We probably need to come up with a better communications strategy.

Alex also mentioned the idea of eliminating CFC memberships and instead charging more for rating fees. A complicating factor in any such idea if economically feasible is that we have a large pool of life members who would expect a significant refund to make up for eliminating memberships. It is also even more complicated since we have a large pool of funds in what is usually called the foundation which returns interest and perhaps some dividend payments to the CFC in lieu of the membership revenue we would get from the life members. By having memberships any attempt to dissolve the Federation and strip off the assets would have to meet approval from all the members including the non-voting members. If you stop charging membership fees then this safety feature goes away.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 04-28-2019 at 02:01 PM.

I believe our structure needs to keep annual/life memberships, which is what every other "sporting" organization I know of has in place. I propose that we need to somehow "let go" of connecting the magazine with membership. I did that a few years ago,and it removed personal stress (me feeling I was "ripped off"). Now when the magazine arrives, it's a happy bonus. In addition, those magazines are very well done, and I keep referring to them months/years, later, like a good book. My 2c.

I have "no" idea what chess magazine you're talking about as I haven't received anything in "many" months (I'm thinking "years").

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I have "no" idea what chess magazine you're talking about as I haven't received anything in "many" months (I'm thinking "years").
    It's a softcopy (PDF) magazine that is emailed periodically. It's quite good, and the CFC Office needs your email address in order to send it to you. Do they have it?

As an aside, where I mentioned above that we should consider mentally disassociating the magazine and membership, there must still be quite a few members like Lloyd who don't even know about the magazine. So we never hear THEM griping that their membership is ripping them off when the next magazine takes too long.

Lloyd, maybe you can even get the back issues, I would say that it's worth it!

I agree we need to come up with a better communications strategy. The CFC Newsfeed (which I am glad is updated regularly) combined with the CFC's social media presence (Facebook) serve to cover current events well. For the magazine, in my opinion the best way to do it would be to come up with an exact schedule (i.e. Published every 3 months) and stick to it. If the issues are shorter that's fine. I think what adds fuel to the fire on this issue is that nobody really knows when each issue will come out. This needs to change. I of course agree all of the issues I have seen are well written.

To help finance the costs, maybe further sponsorships could be pursued via offering advertising (I.e. Strategy Games, ChessBase, or even Choice Hotels, in regard to the CFC's group discount deal with them). John Upper (based out of the Ottawa area) covers a lot of the local tournaments which is great. Maybe if others located in other areas of the country could be offered a small stipend to provide a tournament report to the magazine and/or CFC Newsfeed - with photos - this could help draw interest to various chess events throughout the country. This could be as simple as getting one of the many parents who come with their kids to chess tournaments anyway - and offering them discounted or free entry to their kid in exchange to typing a small report and taking a few photos of key matches. Organizers/TDs are often too busy for this but a parent waiting 3-4 hours for their kid to finish their game- not necessarily as much. Just an idea.

Does anyone know how/if back issues of the CFC magazine can be accessed?

I think in the interest of drawing more members into the CFC all copies of the CFC magazine should be available to the general public - or at minimum all current CFC members.

I concur with Aris that the magazine and CFC membership should be dissociated.

Blog Entries

Default DGT deal

One of the highlights of the last few months was that we were finally able to take advantage of FIDE development deal pricing on DGT clocks and boards. The clocks were offered at a very significant discount to even the best prices you can find online. I believe that significantly more than 1200 clocks were purchased by chess clubs and organizers across Canada. I believe there were 46 DGT boards purchased as well, if I am reading the spreadsheet correctly. I would like to thank Larry Bevand of the Chess and Math Association and Strategy and Games which handled the shipping and distribution and without whose help we probably would not have been able to make this arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    One of the highlights of the last few months was that we were finally able to take advantage of FIDE development deal pricing on DGT clocks and boards. The clocks were offered at a very significant discount to even the best prices you can find online. I believe that significantly more than 1200 clocks were purchased by chess clubs and organizers across Canada. I believe there were 46 DGT boards purchased as well, if I am reading the spreadsheet correctly. I would like to thank Larry Bevand of the Chess and Math Association and Strategy and Games which handled the shipping and distribution and without whose help we probably would not have been able to make this arrangement.
    That's a good point, Larry and team did a LOT for many people across our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I believe our structure needs to keep annual/life memberships, which is what every other "sporting" organization I know of has in place.
    Not totally accurate: Quebec cycling sells licence to ride a bicycle in a competition, Quebec Soccer sells a passport, none of which are membership. Under Quebec NFP Law, non-voting members never vote, and as such are not interesting to organizations.

The registered participants still pays an annual fee, but it is not called a membership and it does not grant any membership right.

Rating fees could be used for VM allocations. ECF use the amount of rating fee paid as a basis for the allocation of VM. Regions with lesser population but with many rated tournament can get more VM this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    A big thank you to all those who have made this deal possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast