Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5A3 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - Developments and Directions in Canadian Chess

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    Thanks Fred for pointing out that Halifax is preparing a bid for the 2020 Senior's. The Nova Scotia Chess Association is having a Board meeting this coming Sunday, May 5th where we'll be discussing the bid.
    Yes as I understand it, everybody in NS involved with this, wants to make the bid, they are just looking to secure some funding before presenting it. If we did receive a good bid let's say May 15 - we could decide to accept it, wait until July 1st for any competing bids or else make an announcement giving competing bids 2 or 3 weeks to materialize.

Blog Entries

Default Items on the CFC to do list

Here are the mostly short term items that we have to deal with as a federation over the course of the next one to three months

1. Fix the problem with PayPal (If we don't fix it we can't get paid)
    2. Fix the problems with the website (virus/trojan warnings, security certificate possibly redo the website)
    3. Implement Go Membership to hopefully free up some of Bob Gillanders time so that we can
    4. Get a better handle on our financials so that we can make timely decisions in an informed manner
    5. Create a communications strategy including newsletter, newsfeed, facebook, website and other social media
    6. Determine what is going on with the FQE - CFC working arrangement.

I would like some details on point 6.

For point 2, is the rating software a private part of the web site? If it isn't, changing web site should be straightforward. Drupal is a nice product, but it has always been very hard to upgrade it to a newer version.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Yes as I understand it, everybody in NS involved with this, wants to make the bid, they are just looking to secure some funding before presenting it. If we did receive a good bid let's say May 15 - we could decide to accept it, wait until July 1st for any competing bids or else make an announcement giving competing bids 2 or 3 weeks to materialize.
    I really don't know the full status of the bid. I'm uncertain whether we can have a bid prepared by May 15th.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    For point 2, is the rating software a private part of the web site? If it isn't, changing web site should be straightforward. Drupal is a nice product, but it has always been very hard to upgrade it to a newer version.
    It seems to me the biggest hurdle with the integration of the website and the rating system last time was the storage of the database(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    It seems to me the biggest hurdle with the integration of the website and the rating system last time was the storage of the database(s).
    A first year undergraduate Computer Science student can program a database. If the database is to be accessed remotely through a web browser, by multiple users with different privilege level, this makes things more complex.

Hi everyone, I just came back from our Nova Scotia Chess Association Board meeting. I'm told to advise the CFC that our bid for the Canadian Senior's Championship will be submitted to the CFC by the end of May, 2019.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    Hi everyone, I just came back from our Nova Scotia Chess Association Board meeting. I'm told to advise the CFC that our bid for the Canadian Senior's Championship will be submitted to the CFC by the end of May, 2019.
    We look forward to receiving the bid.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234