Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5A3 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - Developments and Directions in Canadian Chess

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Hi Aris,
    I agree with Victor - it's not a good idea to combine the Closed & Seniors at the same time/place.
    This year I had to choose between the Closed & World Seniors, and would like to avoid missing the Closed next year again...
    Thanks Michael, I appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    OK, fair enough. I've only seen/played the last 3 at the Seniors. If you're in touch with them, I would love to hear their opinion (and especially Ian's) on having the Closed & Seniors at the same time/place. Like would their first reaction be frustration at having to choose between the two options, or it would be EASY to choose?

Thanks again for the input, it's critical to know what "real players" think.
    I would be against the Canadian Closed and the Canadian Seniors being held at the same time. I never saw the need for a Canadian Seniors over 50, since as Evgeny showed, over 50 players can still compete in the main event. Maybe an over 65 event is valid, but hard to attract many players.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ian findlay View Post
    I would be against the Canadian Closed and the Canadian Seniors being held at the same time. I never saw the need for a Canadian Seniors over 50, since as Evgeny showed, over 50 players can still compete in the main event. Maybe an over 65 event is valid, but hard to attract many players.
    We have to synch our events with the corresponding FIDE events and that is why we have an over 50 Seniors section.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We have to synch our events with the corresponding FIDE events and that is why we have an over 50 Seniors section.
    I love the FIDE over 50 events. Both the team and individual. Nice to play players close to your own age. In Canada, I just do not think we have the critical mass to make these tournaments viable, but nice if someone holds them. As defending champion, I will try to play in the Canadian over 50, but sadly the World Individual conflicts with the Banff Open this year. The Pan American Senior Championship is a possibility.

Blog Entries

The CFC has a page indicating when the next open date is for all of our National events.

http://chess.ca/upcoming-national-events-open-for-bids

This has a link from the middle of our front page.

I know Kitchener is hosting the 2019 Senior (and maybe they are holding a Canadian Amateur as well), and we need to update that entry. Halifax organizers are working on a bid for the 2020 Canadian Senior, that they will be presenting by the July 1 deadline, but that doesn't stop anyone else from applying for that event as well or even a 2021 event. I think it makes sense to try and award things once a year as much as possible, so all organizers are planning at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    The CFC has a page indicating when the next open date is for all of our National events.

I know Kitchener is hosting the 2019 Senior (and maybe they are holding a Canadian Amateur as well), and we need to update that entry. Halifax organizers are working on a bid for the 2020 Canadian Senior, that they will be presenting by the July 1 deadline, but that doesn't stop anyone else from applying for that event as well or even a 2021 event. I think it makes sense to try and award things once a year as much as possible, so all organizers are planning at the same time.
    That is great news Fred. I have never played out East before. Also updating the CFC website would be good. On the website for the AB Senior it says "The winner receives a travel grant of up to $500 towards a trip to the 2019 Canadian Seniors Championship. If the 2019 Canadian Seniors Championship does not take place as expected, the winner may petition the board to use the travel funds at an event of equal prestige within one year of the winning the award." This should be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post

I would LOVE to go to the Seniors, this time out in Halifax, all the best with the bid!

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Strange that the website as directed from the CFC website http://www.chessfest.ca/ for Kitchener says Over 60 section. I would hate to go there and be too young. lol. The website also says 2018 so maybe it has not been updated yet?
    I have to plan my chess 3 or 4 months in advance, so hopefully it will be updated soon.

Thanks Fred for pointing out that Halifax is preparing a bid for the 2020 Senior's. The Nova Scotia Chess Association is having a Board meeting this coming Sunday, May 5th where we'll be discussing the bid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ian findlay View Post
    Strange that the website as directed from the CFC website http://www.chessfest.ca/ for Kitchener says Over 60 section. I would hate to go there and be too young. lol. The website also says 2018 so maybe it has not been updated yet?
    I have to plan my chess 3 or 4 months in advance, so hopefully it will be updated soon.
    This is last year's event. The 2018 Canadian Senior was in Calgary. We are all waiting for Hal to publish the 2019 schedule, but we know where it will be and on what weekend ......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast