Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5A3 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - Developments and Directions in Canadian Chess

Default 5A3 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - Developments and Directions in Canadian Chess

This thread is for open discussion

Hello there, I didn't know where else in this meeting to post this:

Are there any 2019-2020 national events that don't yet have an Organizer, plan, etc?

Blog Entries

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any, though I tend to focus on things like the Canadian Open, CYCC and the Canadian Closed which are all spoken for until the end of 2020.

Is there anyone considering a bid for the Canadian Open and CYCC in 2021?

Do we have Canadian Senior this year?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Off the top of my head, I can't think of any, though I tend to focus on things like the Canadian Open, CYCC and the Canadian Closed which are all spoken for until the end of 2020.

Is there anyone considering a bid for the Canadian Open and CYCC in 2021?
    If I may suggest, we should cover this more specifically. In the next post for example, Michael is asking about the Canadian Senior. I could do an event like that, but Organizers like myself could really use detail. Bids for the AGM have to be prepared ASAP. So I believe we should cover more here than "off the top of heads"

Blog Entries

The Canadian Senior will be in Kitchener this year at the Kitchener Chessfest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    If I may suggest, we should cover this more specifically. In the next post for example, Michael is asking about the Canadian Senior. I could do an event like that, but Organizers like myself could really use detail. Bids for the AGM have to be prepared ASAP. So I believe we should cover more here than "off the top of heads"
    I think the only major events that don't yet have 2020 dates are the Canadian Junior which Gary Hua and Ken Green have brought back from near extinction and the Canadian Senior which is usually organized in Kitchener when no one else wants it. If you look at the Sports events directory listing that we got at the CSTA meeting our listings are starting on page 66 and there is little available. Perhaps a new chess festival would be the way to go, if you are interested in holding an event.

Blog Entries

One of the communities that I had a pretty good meeting with at the CSTA conference was Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island. At some point soon, if I don't hear from others who are interested in organizing the CYCC and Canadian Open in 2021 I will probably start looking into what can be organized here. By then we should be able to reestablish a chess culture in Windsor as we have found a location for an advanced class and we are getting a pretty good uptake of kids.

One of the communities that I had a pretty good meeting with at the CSTA conference was Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island. At some point soon, if I don't hear from others who are interested in organizing the CYCC and Canadian Open in 2021 I will probably start looking into what can be organized here. By then we should be able to reestablish a chess culture in Windsor as we have found a location for an advanced class and we are getting a pretty good uptake of kids.
    I think that would be a cool idea!

The Canadian Senior will be in Kitchener this year at the Kitchener Chessfest.
    That's awesome!

For the next 3 years, where we're running the Closed/Zonals in Kingston, if there's ever a year where the Seniors doesn't have a home, I could easily add it in.

However, I would rather not HOG it. I think it's better for everyone if it moves around as much as feasible. I'm just offering to be the safety net for the Seniors.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast