Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4. Executive / Officer Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    My report as a Master Rep mostly related to the Zonal and it's impact on Canadian Olympic Team.

1. A very well organized tournament, thanks to Aris, Hal and their team. A huge improvement from 2017 championship.

2. Qualification rules (over 2200 CFC or FIDE) was fully followed. Great job! Still, with these strict restrictions, we got 37 players.

3. I support Aris idea (published on CT) to force additional deposit for players who forfeited a game this year. Especially in a Zonal, you can potentially ruin title/norm opportunity.

4. Personally, I would prefer a 6-days schedule (for the Zonal only). 1+2+2+1+2+1 instead of 1+2+2+2+2.

5. For Canadian Olympic Team. According to our rules, this Zonal (and not 2020 Championship) has an impact on the Team. E.Bareev qualifies as a Champion, A.Hambleton and N.Noritsyn get bonuses for 2-nd and 3-rd place.

6. About Canadian Women Championship-2020. According to our rules, April 2020 is less than 5 months before the start of the Olympiad-2020 and thus has no impact on Canadian Women Team-2020. We have 2 options:

a. Change rules from 5 to 3 months.
    b. Don't take this championship into account for Olympiad formula.

I prefer option a.
    I also prefer option a.

Woman’s Coordinator

Very little to report on my official function. I though that the Kingston bid included a Canadian Women Championship each year, not only on Zonal year. One Canadian Championship can be organized for 2019 provided that there is enough players.

I have been been the Chief Arbiter of the Quebec Closed. Our new Champion is Zong Yang Yu who gained 23.8 FIDE rating points. The best improvement of FIDE rating goes to Qiuyu Huang who gained 70.4 points. I learned afterwards that Provincial Champions are no longer invited to the Canadian Closed. The winner with represent Quebec at the International Francophone Chess Association Championship where norms are possible.

I have also updated the FQE LTD examination and I am actively preparing for the next LTD seminar. There is something special about this seminar. I will report after it has been successfully completed.

I have incorporated a new League. There does not seem to be any demand in the Lanaudière region for a CYCC regional qualifier. I will organize one if there is a sufficient demand.

Respectfully submitted

Pierre Dénommée

One comment I sometimes hear is from players who haven't played a rated game in some time and feel that their rating from some time ago no longer reflects their ability. Some of these players are interested in "restarting" as an unrated. Should this be allowed?
    Marcus Wilker
    (Annex Chess Club, Toronto)
    GTCL Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
    One comment I sometimes hear is from players who haven't played a rated game in some time and feel that their rating from some time ago no longer reflects their ability. Some of these players are interested in "restarting" as an unrated. Should this be allowed?
    In my humble opinion, I would say no. It seems to me there's a vast difference between UNR and whatever any experienced player has "slipped" to. I don't know what better idea to provide, as you do have a point, it's very uncomfortable for such players to return, just to get wiped out their first few tournaments back until their rating re-stabilizes somewhere lower than before. Maybe Paul could consider some king of "inactivity" formula, but my first instinct is to vote against that, as many people with an inactive CFC rating are still at the same (or even better) playing level, as they might have stayed active but online. But still a good question.

Blog Entries

I believe there was a mechanism where people could reset their rating long ago. I'm not sure that it is still in place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I believe there was a mechanism where people could reset their rating long ago. I'm not sure that it is still in place.
    If you have a CFC Rating under 1400 and have been inactive for 5+ years you can start again as UNR.

I have a hard time believing that people can slip more than 100-150 points in strength due to inactivity. They should start back at their existing rating and let their "lost" points should go back into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
    I'm inactive as a player, but I have no problem solving most of the daily problems on my phone application. Something gets lost through inactivity, but not everything. I am still able to solve some mates in 4 and in 5 taken from real games (not artistic compositions). Claiming that I am unrated would be deceptive and a lack of respect towards the really unrated players. It would not be long before someone noticed that I am am FQE Certified level 1 trainer (trainer for beginning children), and being an unrated trainer does not make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    If you have a CFC Rating under 1400 and have been inactive for 5+ years you can start again as UNR.

I have a hard time believing that people can slip more than 100-150 points in strength due to inactivity. They should start back at their existing rating and let their "lost" points should go back into the system.
    I can live with that policy, and I agree with your take.

Blog Entries

I can believe that. I know my own strength varies widely in different situations.

4L. Treasurer's Report.

I have nothing out of the ordinary to report on this quarter. Memberships are healthy which will assist our bottom line at year end. Please send along any specific questions you have concerning finance.

Fred McKim
    CFC Treasurer
    I've been a voting member for some time now and don't recall seeing a quarterly financial report filed for our meetings. I'd like to see a quarterly financial report filed for our meetings.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast