Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4. Executive / Officer Reports

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    6. About Canadian Women Championship-2020. According to our rules, April 2020 is less than 5 months before the start of the Olympiad-2020 and thus has no impact on Canadian Women Team-2020. We have 2 options:

a. Change rules from 5 to 3 months.
    b. Don't take this championship into account for Olympiad formula.

I prefer option a.
    If we can legally change to 3 months (either just for 2020 or for all occasions) I don't think there would be any issues.

However is that also the reason the 2020 Canadian Closed is not used ? If so, we might have to think about consistencies.

Fred, you are right about it. Probably, the best option is to change our rules for 2020 Women Championship only.

Fred, you are right about it. Probably, the best option is to change our rules for 2020 Women Championship only.
    I would of course support this. Kingston 2020 has to be on Easter weekend again.

Paul do you have a _rough_ idea how many of our members have USCF ratings?

I realize that's a hard question because unlike FIDE numbers USCF numbers don't appear on our 'TD's List'. I was thinking more "SWAG" (silly wild-a**ed guess) than something definite. I would strongly expect the %age to vary wildly within Canada based on region - for instance if you live in Windsor it is much easier to play in Detroit and Chicago events than say somebody from the Maritimes. 30 years ago when I lived in Winnipeg such US play as we got was in Minneapolis and usually involved one or two carloads worth of players...virtually no one below 2000 played anywhere other than Minneapolis.

CFC Publicity Officer report, Q2 2019

Dear colleagues,

My mandate from the Board includes three principal aspects:
    - writing drafts of CFC press-releases and some external communications as needed,
    - continuing to engage Ambassadors and other appropriate officials,
    - posting interesting news on the CFC Forum and other Web resources.

I was explaining the CFC developments in French in Quebec and tried to engage the FQE rank-and-file with our national federation. One of such examples was the DGT equipment offer. Another one is raising awareness of and promoting the CYCC in Regina.

I systematically informed the Executive, players and parents about changes in regulations and new developments related to the World and Continental events such as the 2019 World Schools Ch., the 2019 World Senior Team Ch., and the 2019 Panamerican Junior U20 Ch.

Respectfully submitted by Vadim Tsypin.

5. For Canadian Olympic Team. According to our rules, this Zonal (and not 2020 Championship) has an impact on the Team. E.Bareev qualifies as a Champion, A.Hambleton and N.Noritsyn get bonuses for 2-nd and 3-rd place..
    Would you mind to add (or post elsewhere) actual dates what will be used for the selection process (ratings since/till; first offers, etc). Thnx. I assume the Olympiad date is set already.
    Was a participation bonus in the Championship before too? (not just for a prize places)
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Would you mind to add (or post elsewhere) actual dates what will be used for the selection process (ratings since/till; first offers, etc). Thnx. I assume the Olympiad date is set already.
    Was a participation bonus in the Championship before too? (not just for a prize places)
    1. Olympiad: Aug 1 - Aug 20, 2020. The deadline for rating: 5 months before the start, that means Mar 1, 2020.

2. FIDE (for the National Team) on Mar 1, 2020 will be taken. CFC and FIDE (for ladies) on Mar 1, 2020 will be taken.

3. Bonus/penalties for Canadian Championship: 20 points for silver, 10 points for bronze, penalty 10 points if didn't play/withdrew. The Champion gets the spot automatically.

Could please Vlad confirm the correction for the next Women Championship-2020? (3 months before the deadline instead of 5).
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 05-02-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Default FIDE Report

FIDE Report:

The new FIDE leadership is proceeding with changes to the World Championship cycle for both Men’s/Open and Women. A Congress is planned for later this year to ratify these and other changes but the details are not yet known.

The Women’s Cycle has been modified to resemble the Open version, and the challenger for the Women’s title will be determined a Candidates Tournament which will be held in Kazan, Russia, from May 29 – June 18. The Men’s/Open Championship match will be extended to 14 games. Agon has been removed from the equation and FIDE has invited bids for the next match.

The most significant changes are proposed for the World Cup. From the proposal copied below, you will see that the World Cup will be one round longer, and Zonal representation is to be replaced by a Federation’s final standing at the most recent Olympiad, starting with 2020. This proposed change is of great concern to FIDE America, which relies on the Zonal structure in its business model and for its championships. In fact, Europe is the only Continent which does not use its Zonal structure for competition, although the Zone Presidents in Europe are part of the FIDE Executive Board.

I hope to gain a better understanding of this World Cup proposal and your comments are welcome. Even though our results at the Olympiad are typically good enough to qualify for a spot in the World Cup, elimination of FIDE Zones is a concern for Canada. You may recall that the World Cup was not attracting bidders (Khanty Mansiysk hosted 4 in a row!) so it was became an obligation for Olympiad bids.

Congratulations to our newly crowned Zonal Champion GM Evgeny Bareev, and to IO Aris Marghetis for putting together and excellent tournament. I believe this event has room to grow and I look forward to the sequel next year.

The World Cup proposal is presented below for your perusal.

Respectfully submitted

Hal Bond
    FIDE Zone 2.2 President and Delegate, Canada

Proposal for the new World Cup format

206 participants are to compete in the World Cup. 1 additional round (Three extra days).
    156 players (78 pairs) start in round 1. 50 highest-rated players are directly seeded into round 2.
    Approx. 300,000 $ additional budget is required (234,000 $ for prizes + expenses for the venue, arbiters, etc).
    Number of participants – 206.

I. 26 spots are distributed among the following categories:
    - World Champion
    - Previous World Cup semi-finalists
    - Junior World Champion
    - Women’s World Champion
    - Average rating
    - President’s Wild Cards
    - Organizer’s Wild Cards
    (to be specified).

II. 100 participants are decided according to the Final Ranking of the Olympiad 2020.
    The top 100 federations are to be represented by their national champions or highest rated players (to be specified).
    Maximum 40 federations per Continent may get the “federation spot”. If there are more than 40 from the same Continent, the “federation spot(s)” go(es) to the next federation(s) in the Final Ranking.
    If the “federation spot” is given to a player qualified by average Rating, the additional spot goes to the average Rating.

III. 80 are distributed among the four Continents as follows:
    - Each Continent is granted 3 spots – 12 spots;
    - 8 spots are distributed according to the number of each Continental representatives in the Top 8 players according to the average Rating of twelve standard FIDE junior (under 20) RL from Feb 2020 to Jan 2021.
    - 60 spots are distributed according to the number of each Continental representatives in the Top 60 according to the average Rating of twelve standard FIDE RL from Feb 2020 to Jan 2021.

Example of application of point III.

If the calculations are made according to the January 2019 FIDE RL and FIDE junior (under 20) RL, the distribution would be as follows:

Europe – 48 (3 + 3 + 42)
    Asia – 18 (3 + 3 + 12)
    America – 10 (3 + 2 + 5)
    Africa – 4 (3 + 0 + 1)

Blog Entries

1. Olympiad: Aug 1 - Aug 20, 2020. The deadline for rating: 5 months before the start, that means Mar 1, 2020.

2. FIDE (for the National Team) on Mar 1, 2020 will be taken. CFC and FIDE (for ladies) on Mar 1, 2020 will be taken.

3. Bonus/penalties for Canadian Championship: 20 points for silver, 10 points for bronze, penalty 10 points if didn't play/withdrew. The Champion gets the spot automatically.

Could please Vlad confirm the correction for the next Women Championship-2020? (3 months before the deadline instead of 5).
    As long as we can comply with FIDE requirements for naming our team, then I would be in favour of this minor change in the rules. Lets codify it at our next meeting.

Vlad, I want to remind you that at last meeting we started discussing "late withdrawal" from the National Team (A.LeSiege). Any ideas? Looks like we postpone the discussion too often.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast