Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4. Executive / Officer Reports

Hybrid View

Default 4. Executive / Officer Reports

Executive and Officers, please post your reports here using the lettering given in the Agenda

4.I. Rating Auditor
    The system continues to operate well. I get one or two requests from players every quarter to double-check their ratings and almost invariably the software program has done its job accurately.
    I also get periodic requests from the CFC office to research old ratings from my archives for players returning to chess after a few decades. There seems to be more of that lately.

My last quarterly sampling of rating averages (end of March), showed a hint of deflation. For example, the average of all players above 1200 had been in a narrow range between 1730 and 1750 for the past 9 years. It slipped below this channel in late 2017 and now sits at just over 1690. Fred McKim, Vincent Chow and myself have just begun a discussion about whether some remedial action might be necessary. Tweaking the bonus formula would be one way to reverse the trend.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    My last quarterly sampling of rating averages (end of March), showed a hint of deflation. For example, the average of all players above 1200 had been in a narrow range between 1730 and 1750 for the past 9 years. It slipped below this channel in late 2017 and now sits at just over 1690. Fred McKim, Vincent Chow and myself have just begun a discussion about whether some remedial action might be necessary. Tweaking the bonus formula would be one way to reverse the trend.
    Regarding "deflation"
    Can you plot yearly histograms? Seeing more and more young players entering chess events, I don't see more and more rating events. Additional bonus points might help though I prefer more actual games.
    .*-1

Paul, I agree with you about some little deflation. Many strong players have a current CFC-FIDE gap less than 100 points, compare to the average of 100+ points a few years ago. My personal gap (2380-2300) is the lowest in last 10 years.

I don't know about some steps to stop this trend. If we can get CFC ratings closer to FIDE ratings - I would like it. That means, little deflation is good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    Paul, I agree with you about some little deflation. Many strong players have a current CFC-FIDE gap less than 100 points, compare to the average of 100+ points a few years ago. My personal gap (2380-2300) is the lowest in last 10 years.

I don't know about some steps to stop this trend. If we can get CFC ratings closer to FIDE ratings - I would like it. That means, little deflation is good now.
    My gap is 131 points (2364-2233) between CFC and FIDE. A lot has to do with where I play. Playing in Las Vegas, I always lose lots of FIDE points playing underrated juniors, and this is not CFC rated. When I play in Europe, I usually gain FIDE points. Also my CFC rating is higher than my USCF rating (2364 - 2343). 20 to 30 years ago, my USCF was always about 100 points higher than my CFC rating. Because of a lot of large class prize events in the US, I nearly feel it is more important to keep our ratings on par with the USCF ratings.

1) Do we have any stats for our ratings vs USCF ratiings
    2) I also think a little deflation for the CFC ratings would be good now.

I'll see if I can do a little sampling of CFC vs USCF vs FIDE. When I last tried this 4-5 years ago, I was surprised to find that many of our strong players have USCF ratings that are out of date or didn't have USCF ratings at all.
    Victor, thank you for your observation. I am in no rush.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

My report as a Master Rep mostly related to the Zonal and it's impact on Canadian Olympic Team.

1. A very well organized tournament, thanks to Aris, Hal and their team. A huge improvement from 2017 championship.

2. Qualification rules (over 2200 CFC or FIDE) was fully followed. Great job! Still, with these strict restrictions, we got 37 players.

3. I support Aris idea (published on CT) to force additional deposit for players who forfeited a game this year. Especially in a Zonal, you can potentially ruin title/norm opportunity.

4. Personally, I would prefer a 6-days schedule (for the Zonal only). 1+2+2+1+2+1 instead of 1+2+2+2+2.

5. For Canadian Olympic Team. According to our rules, this Zonal (and not 2020 Championship) has an impact on the Team. E.Bareev qualifies as a Champion, A.Hambleton and N.Noritsyn get bonuses for 2-nd and 3-rd place.

6. About Canadian Women Championship-2020. According to our rules, April 2020 is less than 5 months before the start of the Olympiad-2020 and thus has no impact on Canadian Women Team-2020. We have 2 options:

a. Change rules from 5 to 3 months.
    b. Don't take this championship into account for Olympiad formula.

I prefer option a.

Blog Entries

6. About Canadian Women Championship-2020. According to our rules, April 2020 is less than 5 months before the start of the Olympiad-2020 and thus has no impact on Canadian Women Team-2020. We have 2 options:

a. Change rules from 5 to 3 months.
    b. Don't take this championship into account for Olympiad formula.

I prefer option a.
    If we can legally change to 3 months (either just for 2020 or for all occasions) I don't think there would be any issues.

However is that also the reason the 2020 Canadian Closed is not used ? If so, we might have to think about consistencies.

Fred, you are right about it. Probably, the best option is to change our rules for 2020 Women Championship only.

Fred, you are right about it. Probably, the best option is to change our rules for 2020 Women Championship only.
    I would of course support this. Kingston 2020 has to be on Easter weekend again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast