Hello there, especially chess Organizers, I would like your take on this new idea.

At the recent Zonal & Sectionals in Kingston, we used five different floater-players, across a wide rating range, to ensure that no one ever had to miss playing a round due to a forced bye.

As much work as that was, it was way easier to deal with than forfeit losses. We had very few forfeit losses, but they were predictably the same names that had forfeited at previous events.

To be open and honest here, few things in life irk me more than forfeit losses!
To make matters worse, one of those forfeits likely wiped out a CM Title claim.

Therefore, when I open registrations for the 2020 Closed & Sectionals (again in Kingston), anyone who forfeited at the recent 2019 event will have to add a deposit to their registration fee.

My initial thinking is $100, and if that player forfeits, then:
1) the opponent receives $50 in cash from me
2) the prize fund gets increased by the other $50
3) the forfeiting player needs to deposit another $100 before being un-withdrawn

Comments, feedback, etc?

If there is widespread agreement with this idea, I offer to maintain the Canadian Forfeit Losers List (CFLL). Organizers can set any penalty amount they want for themselves, but I can maintain a list of all forfeit losers for, say, the last two years and/or 24 rated games, whichever comes first? Again, I am open to ideas on just how long someone has to deposit due to their aging forfeit loss.

Of course, any Organizer can choose to NOT ask for this list, to NOT ask for deposits, etc. It will be completely voluntary whether anyone wants to imitate what we do for the Kingston events.

Thanks in advance for your insights,
arismarghetis at rogers dot com