Thread: CFC Magazine & Membership

Default CFC Magazine & Membership

Hi,

I haven't gotten a CFC magazine in about a year. Or at least it feels like it's been that long.
    Is this still happening, or did I get removed from the mailing list?
    I've been a CFC member in good standing continuously.
    Although always incredibly late and by the time I got it, it'd be old news, the magazine did have quality content.
    Is the magazine still operational? If so please add me onto the list.
    If not, is there anything other than rating tournaments that our membership fees pay for?
    In that's the case, we're paying twice for the same product. We get membership to have tournament games rated, and organizers submit $3.39 per player per tournament to get the tournament rated. Irrespective of the magazine operating, that's still the case. But without the magazine, there's really nothing else other than rating tournament games, as incentive to become a member.

Alex F.

Blog Entries

It has been a while since our last magazine. There have been regular updates to the news feed which delivers news in a more timely manner.

Membership fees pay for the expenses of an office and an executive director (Bob Gillanders) who in large part runs all aspects of the day to day operation of the CFC and provides the required interface to FIDE and FIDE international tournaments. Membership fees also pay for our participation in international events like the Olympiad and allow us to fulfill all requirements of hosting and attending events like zonals and youth events.

Hi Vlad, thanks for the response.
    Doesn't seem like I am missing anything then.

Of course the CFC doesn't run without funding, but the average Joe will not join CFC to support such programs. They will join because they have to, if they want their games to be rated. Or if they want to be governors who don't play chess.

This goes back to an argument I tried to make before. The way I see it... we're paying for the same service twice. I understand the CFC depends on rating fees and memberships. Can we combine them? Raise membership to $60 and don't charge us rating fees. Or better yet, charge $5 per player per tournament in rating fees, and waive membership fees.
    The ~30 life members can be exempt from this $5. It'd be in the organizers' interest to know who the Life Members are in order not to pay unnecessary monies, and in turn the Life Members can ask the organizer for a $5 discount in entry fee. Everybody wins. And you only have to deal with organizers instead of dealing with 1200 members or whatever it's at. Cost efficient. Time efficient. Money still comes into CFC.

Alex Ferreira

Blog Entries

There are a lot more than 30 life members. About one third of our adult members are life members. Actually more than a third if you count titled players...

http://chess.ca/membership-stats

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    There are a lot more than 30 life members. About one third of our adult members are life members. Actually more than a third if you count titled players...

http://chess.ca/membership-stats
    Yikes, that's a lot. Though I'd be curious to know how many of them actually play.

Some life members may be deceased. Quebec's look OK, although several are no longer resident in the province.

What is the difference between an expiry date of 31/12/2099 and 01/12/2099?