Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Canadian Sports Tourism Alliance Conference in Ottawa Mar 19 to 21st

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tecumseh, ON
    Posts
    2,101
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Canadian Sports Tourism Alliance Conference in Ottawa Mar 19 to 21st

    Sport Events Congress 2019 – Tuesday, March 19th to Thursday, March 21st (Ottawa)

    We are considering whether the CFC will be participating in this event. Given the very successful experience in 2018 when the Congress took place in Halifax, Nova Scotia we would like to have some input from chess organizers to direct our efforts with respect to the cities which we will be talking to. Last year, a few days before I left for the conference, I spoke to Vadim Tsypin, who asked me about how receptive we would be to a bid from Mississauga for the Canadian Youth Chess Championship and Canadian Open. After expressing our consideration that such a bid would be welcomed, we got on planes and flew to Halifax. We had appointments for the speed dating portion of the conference where we had 25 communities signed up to meet us. Mississauga was not on the list but I did happen to meet someone in the sport tourism office for Mississauga in one of the breakout sessions (on the topic of raising sponsorship funds) and it did lead to some significant sponsorship for the successful Mississauga bid for CYCC and the Canadian Open. This year we have more control over the communities that we meet with. This can be a blessing and a curse.

    Why would we not participate? Last year was successful so the number of available chess events is actually somewhat smaller than last year. For the board of directors, the worrisome events are the Canadian Open and Canadian Closed both Open and Women's. The CYCC/Canadian Open is locked up for 2019 (Regina) and 2020 (Mississauga), while the Canadian Closed events are locked up 2019 through 2022 (Kingston). Last year we were sponsored by the CSTA and received free flights, free hotel and free entry into the conference. This year it seems we actually will have to invest some of our own money to pay for all of those things. For me, the downside of attending is that it will wipe out most of my chess lessons for the week. I can mitigate this to some extent because we are still two months away and some lessons might be rescheduled but some won't be able to be rescheduled. The last time we found that the Canadian chess organizer community was not well positioned to absorb all the opportunities that we uncovered. Obviously, most of the tournaments can only be held in one community in each calendar year. If you have a hankering to do something big or medium-sized, let us know and we will see if there is an opportunity with your local community/hotels/tourism bureau.

  2. #2

    Default

    I would like to thank Vlad and Fred for what they did at this event last year...the CMA has benefited for the 2019 NAYCC ($5,000 from Tourism Kingston)...which pays for the playing hall) and this is appreciated.

    Personally, I think the CFC should be at the 2019 Conference and that the CFC should pick up the expenses for those like Vlad who have to make the sacrifice in time etc. Sheesh this is an easy win-win proposition. We are lucky to have devoted folks like this!

    Larry

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tecumseh, ON
    Posts
    2,101
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    I would like to thank Vlad and Fred for what they did at this event last year...the CMA has benefited for the 2019 NAYCC ($5,000 from Tourism Kingston)...which pays for the playing hall) and this is appreciated.

    Personally, I think the CFC should be at the 2019 Conference and that the CFC should pick up the expenses for those like Vlad who have to make the sacrifice in time etc. Sheesh this is an easy win-win proposition. We are lucky to have devoted folks like this!

    Larry
    Thank you for the kind words, Larry. Any particular cities that you as an organizer are interested in?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlottetown, PE
    Posts
    1,947
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    I would like to thank Vlad and Fred for what they did at this event last year...the CMA has benefited for the 2019 NAYCC ($5,000 from Tourism Kingston)...which pays for the playing hall) and this is appreciated.

    Personally, I think the CFC should be at the 2019 Conference and that the CFC should pick up the expenses for those like Vlad who have to make the sacrifice in time etc. Sheesh this is an easy win-win proposition. We are lucky to have devoted folks like this!

    Larry
    I think it is almost certain we will provide sufficient funding for the CFC to be represented again this year.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kanata, Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    I would like to thank Vlad and Fred for what they did at this event last year...the CMA has benefited for the 2019 NAYCC ($5,000 from Tourism Kingston)...which pays for the playing hall) and this is appreciated.

    Personally, I think the CFC should be at the 2019 Conference and that the CFC should pick up the expenses for those like Vlad who have to make the sacrifice in time etc. Sheesh this is an easy win-win proposition. We are lucky to have devoted folks like this!

    Larry
    I echo Larry's post. Without these efforts by Vlad and Fred last year, there's no way we could have put together the 4-year Zonal/Closed bid that we just did.

    And I am actually comfortable with having more opportunities than Organizers, as that could lead to a beneficially competitive environment. I also vote YES.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    792

    Default

    I believe that we should go, last time did give us nothing in the province of Quebec. Is Quebec present at this meeting?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    I believe that we should go, last time did give us nothing in the province of Quebec. Is Quebec present at this meeting?
    The official site shows groups such as Tourisme Montreal, Tourisme Laval, Ville de Gatineau, Destination Sherbrooke, Promotion Saguenay, etc. - so I would say Quebec will be present.

    (if we're not already registered - we missed the "early bird" rate).

    https://canadiansporttourism.com/spo...-congress.html

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tecumseh, ON
    Posts
    2,101
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    The official site shows groups such as Tourisme Montreal, Tourisme Laval, Ville de Gatineau, Destination Sherbrooke, Promotion Saguenay, etc. - so I would say Quebec will be present.

    (if we're not already registered - we missed the "early bird" rate).

    https://canadiansporttourism.com/spo...-congress.html
    We have registered. I paid for Hal Bond and myself at the early bird rate. We have registered Aris Marghetis as well. He lives in Ottawa so the only cost is the registration fee. The website did not allow a third registration at the low rate of $200 plus HST but a phone call secured the rate.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We have registered. I paid for Hal Bond and myself at the early bird rate. We have registered Aris Marghetis as well. He lives in Ottawa so the only cost is the registration fee. The website did not allow a third registration at the low rate of $200 plus HST but a phone call secured the rate.
    Nice!

    It is no longer free as it was last year.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlottetown, PE
    Posts
    1,947
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    I believe that we should go, last time did give us nothing in the province of Quebec. Is Quebec present at this meeting?
    We met with the following organizations in 2018. We made introductions between the people we met and the FQE and some local organizers.

    Promotion Saguenay
    Tourisme Laval
    Quebec City Business Destination

    Fred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •