Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6A6A Bids for all Canadian Closed 2019 - 2022 in Kingston by Aris Marghetis

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    One question I have is regarding qualification for the top section. In the bid it states that players will not be permitted to play above the U2200 line. Will there be any provision for participation from smaller provinces? In each of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, none of the players in the most recent respective provincial closed championships were above 2200 at the beginning of the events. Would there be some avenue for smaller provinces nominating representatives for these events?
    Hello Jason, thank you for your question. First, let me preface my response by admitting that I believe my decision is a minority view amongst the majority of Organizers. In my opinion, and my current decision, is that there is a solid line at 2200. The idea is to GUARANTEE that the top section will be comprised of elite players. This should NOT be painted as bias against any region. I don't care where in Canada players come from, but I feel performance is the key "distinguisher".

However, if there was an overwhelming motion to do otherwise, then I would of course listen to what people want.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    In my opinion, and my current decision, is that there is a solid line at 2200.
    This also maximize the players' opportunity to achieve title norms by normal means (other then getting a direct title).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Hello Jason, thank you for your question. First, let me preface my response by admitting that I believe my decision is a minority view amongst the majority of Organizers. In my opinion, and my current decision, is that there is a solid line at 2200. The idea is to GUARANTEE that the top section will be comprised of elite players. This should NOT be painted as bias against any region. I don't care where in Canada players come from, but I feel performance is the key "distinguisher".

However, if there was an overwhelming motion to do otherwise, then I would of course listen to what people want.
    Aris, I don't want to start an argument, and you know I voted for the bid, but I would be inclined to think that the best players in each province are elite players.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Aris, I don't want to start an argument, and you know I voted for the bid, but I would be inclined to think that the best players in each province are elite players.
    Hello Fred, my regrets for taking so long to reply, but for some reason, I didn't get the classic new post boldness when you posted this last night ...

To your point, I didn't mean any offence. I am sure that any provincial champion would whip me in a match. Maybe I should have written something like "elite enough", but that's awkward. I agree to not argue, and please appreciate my dilemma: there are multiple "costs" to not holding 2200 line, and besides the public recognition of the provincial champions, I don't see any benefit. For the Zonal, I still believe we have to hold the 2200 line. Can we discuss the off-years separately?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123