Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6A6A Bids for all Canadian Closed 2019 - 2022 in Kingston by Aris Marghetis

Blog Entries

Default 6A6A Bids for all Canadian Closed 2019 - 2022 in Kingston by Aris Marghetis

We have received a bid for the Canadian Closed and Canadian Women's Closed for 2019 through 2022 (four years in total) from Kingston organized by Aris Marghetis. The bid arose out of the contacts which we forwarded to Aris after the 2018 Canadian Sports Tourism Alliance conference in Halifax last March. The executive have reviewed the bid with five of the seven so far voting in favour with none opposed. I can remember the pain of trying to get people to organize this tournament at the last minute and am excited that we will secure certainty for four years in this area at least.

Thank you Aris! This is a great news for Canadian Chess. My only regret is that, in order to remain an active IA, I was planning to work in one of those. If we can get the peace of mind for 4 years, I see no reason to bid because I cannot offer anything better.

The needs of the many, all the elite chess players of Canada, outweigh the need of the few, my need to remain active.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Thank you Aris! This is a great news for Canadian Chess. My only regret is that, in order to remain an active IA, I was planning to work in one of those. If we can get the peace of mind for 4 years, I see no reason to bid because I cannot offer anything better.

The needs of the many, all the elite chess players of Canada, outweigh the need of the few, my need to remain active.
    Thank you for the kind words Pierre!

We have asked Danny Goldenberg to be our Chief Arbiter, and we are delighted that he has accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Thank you for the kind words Pierre!

We have asked Danny Goldenberg to be our Chief Arbiter, and we are delighted that he has accepted.
    Excellent choice! I gave him one of his IA norm.

It seems to me, there wont be a vote by the voting members on this bid? Is it possible to see the bid details, ie prize fund, location, conditions for IMs/GMs (are CFC handbook laws being followed this time?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
    It seems to me, there wont be a vote by the voting members on this bid? Is it possible to see the bid details, ie prize fund, location, conditions for IMs/GMs (are CFC handbook laws being followed this time?)
    The Board of Directors voted on this bid. You have to realize that any bid presented within a year of the event has to be considered as "emergency measures". I'm sure Vlad or Aris can share bid details prior to the end of the meeting. There are still a couple of minor points Aris is working on. As you know the CFC Handbook rules on the Canadian Closed are now only a guideline, and bids aren't obliged to follow them.

Blog Entries

Here is the original bid which is not finalized to reflect the discussions we have had and perhaps some tweaks to come. We already have a commitment from the organizer, Aris Marghetis, to delay the first deadline for entry fees as it was set to kick in January 1st.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-18-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Here is the bid which is not finalized. We already have a commitment from Aris Marghetis to delay the first deadline for entry fees as it was set to kick in January 1st.
    We sincerely welcome any questions or concerns! I will respond here ASAP, and I am sure that most feedback will result in improvements to the bid. The main point is that we secured an INCREDIBLE hotel situation; as to room rate, free underground parking, breakfast included, serviced/licensed skittles area, indoor pool/fitness, etc.

Blog Entries

Many of the amenities and favourable hotel situation arose out of contacts made at the Halifax CSTA (Canadian Sports Tourism Alliance) conference last March which were passed on to Aris. I believe that we should take part in the conference this year again in Ottawa as last year's participation has already certainly more than paid off in 2018.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-18-2018 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    We sincerely welcome any questions or concerns!
    Aris, I had these concerns and questions:

I'm trying to understand the hotel deal: "DISCOUNT all-taxes-in double occupancy rate of $65".

To be a good deal, this should be a room price, right? What type of rooms will be offered by hotel for this rate? [ hotel link https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ints-kingston/ ] How many of them will be available to chess players? Who will manage sorting into double-rooms? It's an individual championship, not a team of two

imho, it might be great for a weekend open. The Closed (Zonal) with 4 days of double rounds will be tough for players. Hopefully they will by-pass playoffs this time.

Out of curiosity - was a schedule of Wed (r1) Thur (r2-3), Fri (r4-5), Sat (r6), Sun (r7-8), Mon (r9) considered? With Monday two rounds and potential playoffs someone might need to stay one day anyway.
    .*-1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast