Thread: 5B - New Business

Default 5B - New Business

These can be posted here - we will split them into their own threads as needed
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-14-2018 at 03:15 PM.

I would propose a heading: Chess Tournament Equipment for National Tournaments: I don't see anything in the Handbook about standardized chess equipment for chess tournaments. The reason I bring this up is that at our Club, and our Provincial Tournaments, we use boards with 2 1/4" squares. I was looking to purchase a chess set and North American clock for one of our Club members and the supplier tried to tell me that the standard for boards used across the country was boards with squares measuring 1 3/4" to 2" (which, as I understand it, is the size of the youth chess vinyl boards). With no "standardized requirements" for adult tournaments, national organizers could use any sized board such as travel chess sets (to provide an extreme example). I'd like to see a requirement for chess boards with from 2" (50.8mm) to 2 1/4" (57.15mm) squares; and Kings of from 3 5/8" (92.075 mm) to 3 7/8" (98.425 mm) tall with a base of 1 1/2" (38.1 mm) to 1 7/8" (47.625 mm).

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I would propose a heading: Chess Tournament Equipment for National Tournaments: I don't see anything in the Handbook about standardized chess equipment for chess tournaments. The reason I bring this up is that at our Club, and our Provincial Tournaments, we use boards with 2 1/4" squares. I was looking to purchase a chess set and North American clock for one of our Club members and the supplier tried to tell me that the standard for boards used across the country was boards with squares measuring 1 3/4" to 2" (which, as I understand it, is the size of the youth chess vinyl boards). With no "standardized requirements" for adult tournaments, national organizers could use any sized board such as travel chess sets (to provide an extreme example). I'd like to see a requirement for chess boards with from 2" (50.8mm) to 2 1/4" (57.15mm) squares; and Kings of from 3 5/8" (92.075 mm) to 3 7/8" (98.425 mm) tall with a base of 1 1/2" (38.1 mm) to 1 7/8" (47.625 mm).
    That I think is covered in the FIDE handbook. I'll later for number if any.
    .*-1

It should be noted that most chessboards produced in North America are technically illegal. The standard width of industrial printers cannot accommodate two legal chessboards per page. In order to limit waste of paper, most chessboards are printed as two boards per sheet of paper even though this result in a too narrow chessboard when used with a standard plastic tournament chess pieces.

Four pawns should enter into a single square, if not, the chessboard is too narrow or the pieces are too large.

As already mentioned, FIDE did this work https://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/S...ment_venue.pdf . The standard size of a square on a chess board is between 5 cm and 6 cm (1.9685 inches and 2.3622 inches). 2 inches square is a legal size , but still can be illegal when compared to the size of the pieces.

The sizes of the pieces is recommended, not mandatory. Usually, everybody abide by the recommendations.

Blog Entries

I think in most such matters we should defer to FIDE. I find that smaller boards of 1.875-inch or 47mm squares (great at Tim Horton's when you don't get a booth) are sufficient though not as comfortable as the slightly larger boards which I believe are usually 2.25-inch or 57mm squares. When you are dealing with small children, I think smaller boards and tables work well.

Just a quick note - the last meeting of the year of the Aurora Chess Club is traditionally a simul day. This time we invited FM Mike Ivanov. He showed a great performance only loosing a single game, and agreed to some draws in a 32-board match. Also it a small fundraising for the Olympiad Fund. $130 cheque is on the way to the CFC office.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Just a quick note - the last meeting of the year of the Aurora Chess Club is traditionally a simul day. This time we invited FM Mike Ivanov. He showed a great performance only loosing a single game, and agreed to some draws in a 32-board match. Also it a small fundraising for the Olympiad Fund. $130 cheque is on the way to the CFC office.
    Thank you for that. Every little bit helps.