The original CYCC format was that qualifiers were SUPPOSED to fund travel costs for the next stage.

This was a critical element for organizers in BC / AB where our travel costs are the highest in the country barring the rare times they're held out our way. This is why I've always so opposed well-heeled parents buying their kids' ways to national events - it completely subverts the self-funding plan that in my view is fundamental to the CYCC concept. If a kid can bypass the qualifier they'll avoid the qualifier and I >don't< buy the argument that kids might not be able to play on a particular date - as a junior I couldn't play in all the events I was eligible for nor especially expected to. There was certainly no question of playing out of town unless someone arranged transport - my parents' participation in my junior career was that of chauffeur.

But for sure you want the maximum possible turnout for your qualifiers - CYCC is the direct descendant of (and was modelled after on a national scale) Lynn Stringer's C-FAX radio events of the 60s and 70s where the events collectively involved 2000-3000 kids a year with no event being significantly bigger than 50-60. You need to bear in mind the population of Victoria to realize what an achievement that was in the day.