Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5A4 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - CFC Handbook revisions

Default 5A4 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - CFC Handbook revisions

The last revision of the CFC Handbook was done 10+ years ago. There is a proposal to revise the Handbook to make it more accessible and consolidate Governor / VM motions passed since the last Handbook.

This is long overdue. Because of the NFP Act, the Handbook will have to become a Bylaw or mutiple Bylaws.

The most urgent modernization requirement is a complete renumbering of the Handbook. In its actual condition, the numbering is continuous, which means that a renumbering an item in the beginning of the document would impact all the numbers that follows. A modern Word processor such as Libre Office Writer (free for everybody), can easily put each section of the handbook in a separate file and restart the numbering at 1 for each section. ¸

I volunteer to upgrade the section on the Women Zonal which is my responsibility.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    This is long overdue. Because of the NFP Act, the Handbook will have to become a Bylaw or mutiple Bylaws.
    The handbook will not become a bylaw. It will become a repository of our policies. There is less need for bylaws given that the NFP act covers every contingency that isn't covered in our bylaws. The way I see us moving forward is we bring together all the former sections dealing with youth matters in one place and make that part of a new handbook. Another section would be Olympiad regulations. Another section would be dealing with various tournaments. Included in that would be a section which explained how to organize a youth event. Another section might deal with going to WYCC/WCCC or other international events representing the CFC.

The most urgent modernization requirement is a complete renumbering of the Handbook. In its actual condition, the numbering is continuous, which means that a renumbering an item in the beginning of the document would impact all the numbers that follows. A modern Word processor such as Libre Office Writer (free for everybody), can easily put each section of the handbook in a separate file and restart the numbering at 1 for each section. ¸

I volunteer to upgrade the section on the Women Zonal which is my responsibility.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-17-2018 at 12:54 PM.

This explains the difference between a bylaw and a policy http://www.governinggood.ca/wp-conte...Difference.pdf

The old handbook could not be altered without a vote of the VM, but generally, a policy offers no such protection.

I did a search for the words policy and policies in the NFP Act and none of those words have been found.

“The handbook will not become a bylaw. It will become a repository of our policies. There is less need for bylaws given that the NFP act covers every contingency that isn't covered in our bylaws. “

The NFP Act does not cover every matter previously covered by the CFC by laws. The NFP Act, like its predecessor The Canada Corporations Act, has minimum requirements that must be set out in the by-laws but it does not replace a corporation’s existing by laws. For this reason a corporation is advised to review it’s by laws as part of its transitioning to the NFP Act. The CFC Handbook contains by laws setting out the powers and authority of the executive members and the powers and authority of the governors. Have these by laws been added to the corporate records under the NFP Act?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bowes View Post
    “The handbook will not become a bylaw. It will become a repository of our policies. There is less need for bylaws given that the NFP act covers every contingency that isn't covered in our bylaws. “

The NFP Act does not cover every matter previously covered by the CFC by laws. The NFP Act, like its predecessor The Canada Corporations Act, has minimum requirements that must be set out in the by-laws but it does not replace a corporation’s existing by laws. For this reason a corporation is advised to review it’s by laws as part of its transitioning to the NFP Act. The CFC Handbook contains by laws setting out the powers and authority of the executive members and the powers and authority of the governors. Have these by laws been added to the corporate records under the NFP Act?
    As I recall when accommodating to the NFP Act, ALL "old" handbook went down to policies the Executive would run the business. Thus, the "old handbook" has no legal power anymore. Though, many cases are still functioning under the old Handbook - a rating system, Youth, Olympiad, Closed.

---
    Egis
    .*-1

I am not sure about other cases, but Olympiad regulations in Handbook are absolutely irrelevant. For example, "Selection Committee" is still in Handbook.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bowes View Post

The NFP Act does not cover every matter previously covered by the CFC by laws. The NFP Act, like its predecessor The Canada Corporations Act, has minimum requirements that must be set out in the by-laws but it does not replace a corporation’s existing by laws. For this reason a corporation is advised to review it’s by laws as part of its transitioning to the NFP Act. The CFC Handbook contains bylaws setting out the powers and authority of the executive members and the powers and authority of the governors. Have these bylaws been added to the corporate records under the NFP Act?
    Laws have changed. We will follow the laws. There was no chance that the handbook could have been incorporated into an NFP compliant framework in the time frame which we had back then. Few people seem to understand how close we were to losing our non-profit status and foundation funds at that time. I spent a great deal of time then to make sure that the CFC survived. Even at the last minute there were many governors that wanted to reject the continuation at which point I probably would have had to give up and hand the whole file over to lawyers who probably would have charged us many tens of thousands of dollars to get us to the same point by the looming deadline which was only a few months away. Remember the first stab at continuation was rejected by the voting members. I learned from the mistakes of the first committee and had a very open process which played out over many CFC meetings with lots of consultations with the then governors who became voting members voting on every clause before we got to the point that we could vote on the whole continuation.

We don't need the smoking bylaws in our new handbook as we have in the old handbook. Those are covered under municipal, provincial and federal laws. We need an operating manual which tells people what to do to organize a tournament or bid on a tournament or qualify for things like the WYCC/WCCC or be a head of delegation at a youth tournament and so on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    I am not sure about other cases, but Olympiad regulations in Handbook are absolutely irrelevant. For example, "Selection Committee" is still in Handbook.
    This is not surprising since it is a historical handbook and no one person is responsible for keeping it up to date. Hopefully, once this handbook update process is completed we can have an updated and relevant handbook. I would hope that we could vote on adopting at least updated youth regulations, olympiad regulations and several other sections by the AGM in August if not earlier. Some sections are superseded by our Articles of Continuation and Bylaws filed with the government at the time of the continuation or shortly thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    This is not surprising since it is a historical handbook and no one person is responsible for keeping it up to date. Hopefully, once this handbook update process is completed we can have an updated and relevant handbook. I would hope that we could vote on adopting at least updated youth regulations, olympiad regulations and several other sections by the AGM in August if not earlier. Some sections are superseded by our Articles of Continuation and Bylaws filed with the government at the time of the continuation or shortly thereafter.
    There are two meanings in "update". imho, Victor Plotkin points that the handbook on the website does not reflect changes accepted by Voting Members. This part could be an easy fix. No voting is required here. Other update meaning is that the Handbook would be overlooked with fresh eyes; changes could be accepted by a vote.
    .*-1

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast