Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5A4 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - CFC Handbook revisions

Useful discussion. I haven't read the NFP Act in any detail so my only comment is that since the CFC is bound by the NFP Act, then obviously we can't create a Constitution or Bylaws which would be contrary to that. I've never personally been involved in the registry of an organization under federal legislation (I've been involved in a number of provincially registered Societies). Having said that, I'm still having a difficult time accepting that a Society, regardless of binding governing legislation, doesn't have a Constitution and Bylaws to govern its operations so I'll have to defer any further comments until I have a chance to review the federal legislation (which I don't anticipate will be in the near future).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    As I see it the three most important roles for the Voting Member are the following:
    1) Elect the CFC Board of Directors
    2) Set CFC Policy
    3) For Provincially elected VM's, represent their regular members.
    The board of directors is supposed to set policy. As mentioned by Pierre there are ways to over-rule that order but it transfers liability to those who take on the delegated authority and possibly the voting members who arranged for that transfer. Resigning from the board does not absolve the board members from financial liability. Two years after you leave the board you can be tapped to pay for salaries of employees if the non-profit goes out of business with insufficient assets to pay for six months of salary.

Information on the duties and responsibilities of the board can be found at the following link maintained by the government of Canada.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc...g/cs05004.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The board of directors is supposed to set policy.https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc...g/cs05004.html
    Maybe we need to define what policy is, then. All of the Voting Members voted on Olympic Team regulations about 18-24 months ago. Was that not policy ?

Maybe I oversimplify it, but I see it this way (or at least Vlad thinks this way):

1. Executive (7 persons) have 100% of the power
    2. Voting members have no power at all. They can only vote once a year to elect 7 executives.
    3. Motions are no more than just recommendations, sometimes CFC executives follow these recommendations, sometimes not. For example, executive mostly followed the motion about Olympiad, and mostly did not follow the motion about Canadian Closed.

Again, it's just my opinion. I don't say that the situation is completely wrong, although for me as a voting member, it's uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 12-18-2018 at 02:50 PM.

T Some governors had the opinion that they were the board of directors but that was simply unworkable. No sane person would serve on the board (or executive) under those circumstances. Further, no sane person who understood all the implications and legal liability would want to be a voting member under those circumstances.
    Unless the CFC has purchased an insurance against errors and omissions by its board members. It would not cover actions such as failing to remit GST/PST/HST or failing to pay your income tax. Those are considered gross negligence and cannot be insured. The FQE is covered by an insurance of this type. FQE can supply this insurance to its affiliates, but quite obviously, we cannot affiliate to the FQE, but we could try to negotiate something to get the insurance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Maybe we need to define what policy is, then. All of the Voting Members voted on Olympic Team regulations about 18-24 months ago. Was that not policy ?
    I would think that Olympic Team regulations are procedures and not policies. They define how the team is chosen.

"Policies and procedures set out the rules for both volunteers and paid staff, consultants, and other outsourced individuals. Policies are the statements that provide the framework for decision-making and desired action. They provide guidance for how to respond to situations in a manner that supports your organization's values."
    https://charityvillage.com/cms/conte...1#.XBlYXVxKjIV

Blog Entries

I would think that Olympic Team regulations are procedures and not policies. They define how the team is chosen.

"Policies and procedures set out the rules for both volunteers and paid staff, consultants, and other outsourced individuals. Policies are the statements that provide the framework for decision-making and desired action. They provide guidance for how to respond to situations in a manner that supports your organization's values."
    https://charityvillage.com/cms/conte...1#.XBlYXVxKjIV
    So if someone wanted to know our policies, would we direct them to the Purpose of the CFC in the Constitution ?

Several meetings ago there was a try to attract people and start a work. Did it move anywhere? Shall we start a process again? Just discussing a semantic will not change the Handbook.

Youth Coordinator mentioned issues about the Youth World and Canada in the next year. This is a good test for Voting members and Execs to work quickly and set rules/procedure/you-name-it.

Olympiad - this requires collections of all motions to update the website version. Unless there are some new thoughts. Victor & Hal, do you have any new input required for a smooth work? Probably, at least, it's time to set a schedule with concrete dates for the next Olympiad.

Closed - the recent bid was accepted (some my concerns left unanswered, though). Not yet in public view.

Rating system - I think a rating auditor was supervising its section and it should be up-to date. Though, I don't recall many changes over past several years.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    Maybe I oversimplify it, but I see it this way (or at least Vlad thinks this way):

1. Executive (7 persons) have 100% of the power
    2. Voting members have no power at all. They can only vote once a year to elect 7 executives.
    3. Motions are no more than just recommendations, sometimes CFC executives follow these recommendations, sometimes not. For example, executive mostly followed the motion about Olympiad, and mostly did not follow the motion about Canadian Closed.

Again, it's just my opinion. I don't say that the situation is completely wrong, although for me as a voting member, it's uncomfortable.
    I am of the same opinion. I would add that we rarely have a vote to elect 7 executives as well, because there is no competition.
    I see my role as a voting member in 1. participating in discussions (without a hope of changing executive decisions if I happen to disagree) and 2. being informed about what is going on.

I will post my report on last Olympiad later, including incident with A.LeSiege and my proposal how CFC should be better prepared to this scenario in the future.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast