Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4. Executive / Officer Reports

I have just noticed the Article 1.11 of this section has been altered by the removal of the FIDE Competition rules. Previously, the FIDE competition rules were mandatory for norms to be valid. When FIDE told us that

Play shall be governed by the FIDE Laws of Chess and FIDE Competition Rules, this would be meaningless if individual organizers were allowed to bypass those rules. The change is in the Arbiters' manual but with no grey box to attract the attention of the reader. This is a substantial change

Actual https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.h...8&view=article
    Previous https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.h...4&view=article

The unless the rules of a competition specify otherwise will only cover the case of tournaments that currently do not offer half-point bye. Actually, nobody take a bye during a norm tournament because our tournaments usually have 9 rounds and taking a bye would ruin anyone chance to achieve a norm. If you add the usual FQE requirement that all byes must be requested before the beginning of the first round, the net result will be that there will be no real change locally.

4.I. Rating Auditor Report. I am pleased to say that I have nothing to report. The rating system continues to operate satisfactorily and my audit tools indicate no inflation or deflation.
    Paul Leblanc
    Rating Auditor
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

4.J. The Foundation is on track to generate about $12,000 of income for the CFC this FY.
    The portfolio has changed very little since my annual report back in June.
    Life memberships have been averaging about 10 per year recently. Please spread the word about life memberships.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer
    Chess Foundation of Canada
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Thank you, Christina, for your great work and for your report!

As you see, it's not the best place for Discussion about youth chess issues.
    We have now CFC Youth Committee forum, where such discussions could take place.
    Please post your proposals there for discussion.

I only want to stress importance of Youth Chess Olympiad.
    Kudos to Andrei Botez for providing such opportunity for Canadian players!
    Of course, Canada should participate in this event every year, including 2019.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post

As you see, it's not the best place for Discussion about youth chess issues.
    We have now CFC Youth Committee forum, where such discussions could take place.
    Please post your proposals there for discussion.
    Well actually this and the board of directors is the place for such discussion as it involves some considerations which the youth committee is not really equipped to deal with.

I have posted my Olympiad report on CT. Major points:

1. For the first time in my career as a captain, we experienced a serious food problem in Batumi. N.Noritsyn could not play against India in round 3 and R.Preotu did not feel well at the end of the tournament. E.Hansen also had some issues. A few times I was forced to change line-up because of this.

2. We didn't play well. Very lucky pairings in last 3 rounds (I believe that I do understand well the pairing system, but pairings in round 10 were beyond my understanding) and a narrow win against Finland allowed us to avoid a much lower finishing position. It's not bad to finish 23rd, but the final position is not everything. We played just 2 good matches as a team (against Colombia 3.5-0.5 and against Georgia 2-2) and lost 28 rating points combined.

3. To summarize our performance since 2012:

2012 B (or B+)
    2014 B-
    2016 A+
    2018 C+.

Now about the incident with A.LeSiege. As some of you know, he withdrew from the Team just 10 days before the start of the Olympiad. His explanation (health problem with his father) was ... not exactly correct. The real reason was a good opportunity to give private lesson to wealthy juniors.

We tried to contact the next in the line (R.Panjwani) - he declined. The next (A.Samsonkin) did not answer to Hal e-mail. In this time-sensitive situation, CFC executive decided to send an invitation to E.Bareev (who did not play the minimum of 20 games), and Evgeny accepted.

At the end, it was not so bad. E.Bareev was clearly out of form, but still performed above 2500. So, I could not say what this incident destroyed our tournament. At the same time, I believe that CFC needs to take some lessons from this incident. My proposals:

1. In the future in a similar situation (if somebody withdraws from the Team less than 1 month before the start) CFC sends "lucky e-mails" to next 10 players. Every player has a window of 48 (or 24) hours to respond. After this period of time, the higher-ranked player, who accepted the invitation, gets the spot. Other players (with positive respond) should be informed immediately about it. Every player who responds positively has a period of uncertainty of 48 (24) hours.

2. Before my next proposal I must say that I have no personal issues with Alex. We successfully collaborated in Baku-2016, he was a nice person, good teammate and a very important part of our success with strategy "Hansen plays white". However...

I believe that CFC should not accept this kind of behavior without penalty. If CFC executive believes that player withdrew from the Team at the very last moment without a good reason, he can:

- not consider this player for the next 1 (or 2) Olympiad or

- give him a penalty of 50 (or 100) points for his ranking for the next 1 (or 2) campaigns.

CFC makes a serious commitment to every player. Player should be reliable as well.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 12-20-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Thank you for your report Victor. I also suffered throughout the Olympiad from the food and water.

Your proposal regarding player withdrawals is worthy of consideration.

Blog Entries

Thank you, Victor, for that report and your suggestions. We should consider any modifications to Olympiad regulations for the next meeting so that we can all be on the same page for 2020. I am thinking February 17 for the start date.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12