Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING about CFC website

Angry WARNING about CFC website

Everyone, I almost got caught with this while checking ratings this morning:

It's a FAKE request to update Chrome. It looks real convincing too, darn it!

I'm emailing Bob and Office. We gotta figure out how to protect ourselves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I know that Aris has a problem with his laptop, that I'm hoping wasn't caused by us but probably caused this message when he was on the CFC site.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I know that Aris has a problem with his laptop, that I'm hoping wasn't caused by us but probably caused this message when he was on the CFC site.

If I go to the CFC website using an older version of Chrome (using a laptop which still runs XP, and thus an older version of Chrome) I end up with a page prompting me to upgrade chrome. If I choose to download, the payload is flagged as malware. It appears this redirect/popup only happens the first time you go the CFC website on a given day.

So it's not just Aris....

Steve

Blog Entries

This may explain why most of us are hard-pressed to reproduce these problems. My 9-year-old vista system failed a couple of years ago and I took advantage of the free upgrades to Windows 10 on my two Windows 7 machines though the netbook gets little use since I haven't had chess classes of late.

I will have to try it on one of the old xp systems I have in my basement. I wouldn't recommend using XP as it has been out of support for many years and is wide open to hackers if exposed to the internet. I think the CFC website like every other one is under constant attack. Most of those attacks are unsuccessful and we do plug the holes as they become apparent. Updating our software often leads to downtime and glitches but we have to constantly do it. At some point we will have to update our website and ditch the current software which I find a singular PITA with few redeeming features.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Douglas View Post
    If I go to the CFC website using an older version of Chrome (using a laptop which still runs XP, and thus an older version of Chrome) I end up with a page prompting me to upgrade chrome. If I choose to download, the payload is flagged as malware. It appears this redirect/popup only happens the first time you go the CFC website on a given day.

So it's not just Aris....

Steve
    It tried to do this to me too last week, and I'm using Win10 with the latest version of Chrome. It happened when I clicked the "Check Rating" field, but it doesn't happen today. I don't know why.

Looking at what AdBlock's I found "https://track.amishbrand.com/s_code.js?cid=232&v=47acc84c33bf85c5496d"
    Maybe it will give some hints.
    Is it a counter script?
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Hello again, this is still happening. Are there any plans to disinfect our site?!

Blog Entries

I've passed this link on to Bob, in case it's missed his attention. I haven't had any problems in months and I use a desktop, laptop, and phone to access the site.

Either Sydney (Australia) or Zaragoza (Spain)

Default The forum needs a SSL certificate too!

Actually, now that you mention this, chesscanada.info's site (and this forum!) needs a ssl certificate. At present, Chrome displays is as "not safe".
    The web admin can get a free ssl certificate for the whole site for free.
    Let's encript is free and work well.

In case anyone at the CFC is monitoring this thread, it happened again (the fake screen to upgrade Chrome). It was when I checked out the hall of fame bio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast