Thread: save the date: Easter 2019

Cool save the date: Easter 2019

Hello chess lovers, just a quick note that the EOCA is putting together a proposal for an Easter long chess weekend, starting in 2019. We already have decent sponsorship, a beautiful Lake Ontario location, and wonderfully low hotel rates. We're in the final stages of a bid that we think chess folk will find exciting. Stay tuned for more details.

Aris Marghetis, EOCA President
    Eastern Ontario Chess Association

Hello again everyone, we are delighted to confirm that the CFC has approved our bid to run the 2019 Canadian Zonal over the Easter long weekend in Kingston, ON.

In addition, there'll be regular sections of U2200-U1900-U1600 (each with minimum $1000 1st place).

We're just in the final stages of negotiations and agreements with the downtown Kingston hotel, and with their local Board of Tourism. Once everything is locked in, hopefully within a couple of weeks, we'll open online registrations. Please note that the hotel rate we're getting will be WAY LOWER than what is generally available to the public, but you'll be booking it through us so that we get "credit" towards hall rentals, etc. All of these details will be posted here (and elsewhere) within January.

Some other highlights include free underground parking, free breakfast, a skittles area that in the evening will also be served and licensed, heated swimming pool.

And finally, the CHESS: 9 full time-control rounds starting on Thursday evening, running through Good Friday, Saturday, Easter Sunday, to Easter Monday. YES!!!

Last edited by Aris Marghetis; 01-27-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: adjustments since bid acceptance

Either Sydney (Australia) or Zaragoza (Spain)

Congratulations!
    It's a pity chess does not receive public funding in Canada, simply because it's not an olympic sport...
    For an important event like a zonal, as a player I wish this could be a 1 round per day event, but I can imagine that it's hard enough to get a venue for 5 days, let alone 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Gil View Post
    Congratulations!
    It's a pity chess does not receive public funding in Canada, simply because it's not an olympic sport...
    For an important event like a zonal, as a player I wish this could be a 1 round per day event, but I can imagine that it's hard enough to get a venue for 5 days, let alone 9.
    Yeah, it's not just the venue, but also players who are otherwise employed or teaching chess back home. In addition, the sectionals wouldn't work over 9 days, and without the sectionals, the total number of players, then we can't get any deals from the hotels, tourism board, etc. Unfortunately, 9 days seems to not be feasible.

We appreciate your comment though, and hope you can attend anyway.

Hello again everyone, the event flyer is finally ready and posted!

Please check it out at eoca.ca !!

We're in the process of adding tourism info by the end of weekend.

Weather permitting, I plan to be at Hal's Guelph Winter Pro-Am next Sunday, until about 230pm, taking registrations and payments.

All the best,

I plan to be at the RA club this Thursday evening, January 31st.

So either before or after my game, I'll be happy to take payments.

Thank you, Aris.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Hello again everyone, the event flyer is finally ready and posted!

Please check it out at eoca.ca !!

We're in the process of adding tourism info by the end of weekend.

Weather permitting, I plan to be at Hal's Guelph Winter Pro-Am next Sunday, until about 230pm, taking registrations and payments.

All the best,

My regrets folks, there was so much freezing stuff between Kingston and Guelph, that I just brought the family home. Anyone feel free to email me for info.

Thanks and regards, arismarghetis at rogers dot com (event flyer at eoca.ca)

Hello again everyone, something that has come up a few times already is that people are asking me for a code for the "chess rate" at the hotel. You don't need to do that. You simply include room payment to us along with your registration to the tournament. One payment takes care of your registration, room, parking, breakfasts!