Thread: Isolate blitz/Active events held in Canada?

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Default Isolate blitz/Active events held in Canada?

I'm wondering if for example the tournament announcement forum of this discussion board might somehow isolate all the [rated] blitz events held in Canada (and, separately, the Active events for that matter). Afaik, currently CFC Quick chess rated events are rather largely just Active time control (TC) time control events, and maybe isolating the few blitz [and Active] events to [a] notification section[s] of their own might somehow help spur organizers to hold more of them, especially if the number of such is seen to grow significantly over time.

Personally I would have preferred the CFC to have separate Active and blitz TC ratings, rather than a unified Quick TC rating, but for now there is the cost of having them as separate CFC rating systems to consider.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Long ago, after the Quick rating category was adopted by the CFC (i.e. to have Speed and Active events rated together as if on one rating list), I asked the president of my local club if we could have a CFC rated speed chess tournament held (i.e. rated as a Quick TC event). His immediate reaction was 'Why'? I was kind of shocked, given the apparent lack of support for the CFC implied in this, alone, enough so that I didn't ask him what he meant. Looking back, I can see things from his point of view, even if it pained him not to support the CFC on this occasion. Our club has never required a fee of any sort for speed chess events held there, and that would seem to be because it's one way new members can be attracted to our club, i.e. by trying their hand at blitz vs. club players, at no cost (even club visitors' fees are waived for such).

When I was a CFC governor and voted in favour of Quick ratings, I saw it as a far from ideal solution to include rating the odd speed tournament, though I thought at least some quite small amount of speed chess revenue might be brought to the CFC over the years. What I still worry about is the odd person who would say speed and Active chess aren't the same thing, and shouldn't be rated together - thus it might be said that the idea of Quick ratings is a slight blemish for the CFC.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 05-26-2020 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.