Thread: Searching for the meaning of life

Blog Entries

Default Searching for the meaning of life

I did a search for the meaning of life. Nothing esoteric, I typed it into Amazon.ca. If you can buy it why not go straight to the company run by the world's richest man? Within the first page there was a link to the VHS version of Monty Python's, "The Meaning of Life." There were two editions of Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning". Within two pages there were two or three more books written by Victor Frankl. The second book on offer was Jordan Peterson's "12 rules for life". On the second page was Jordan Peterson's "Maps of Meaning". On the second page there was a three movie DVD which included Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life", "Big Lebowski" and "American Pie". I haven't seen Monty Python's Meaning of Life since it came out originally at the Capital Theater on University Avenue in Windsor. The answer does not lie there as it was a bit of a running gag but it was only a gag. I am pretty sure that "American Pie" does not contain the meaning of life except in its most abstract sense. The character arc of one of the central characters which I recall from a viewing when the movie first came out involved something about latex gloves. The inclusion of the "Big Lebowski" was a red flag though as I had been looking earlier today at various books dealing with the philosophical aspects of "The Dude". I put them on my Wish List for now. The upshot is that if the meaning of life can be gleaned from the contents of those pages then I don't have to leave my room or buy anything else in order to find it as I have most if not all of the likely suspects which might yield that information. Both Peterson books are here as are a couple of the Frankl books. The book with a frog on the cover called helpfully "The Meaning of Life" is one I looked at a couple of days ago at a used book store but didn't pick up as I am into downsizing at the moment.

There were no chess books that came up in the search which probably means Amazon.ca is not spying on me.

If I was more toward the paranoid end of the scale I might wonder if Amazon was spying on me as many have alleged. The Big Lebowski is a big red flag though perhaps its more to do with selective attention than spying by the military industrial complex. When I bought a Chevy Cruz suddenly I became aware of the army of Chevy Cruz's on the road. I suspect that I am now noticing them whereas before I joined Chevy Cruz Nation I simply was not aware of the brand of cars which even when I was driving my doomed Lincoln Continental was still flooding the roads. I know Barrack Hussein Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton and the FBI and the CIA spied on Trump and his many minions illegally but I suspect I am just not that interesting to Amazon or anyone else. I am a lousy person to spy on as I often forget to bring my smartphone with me. Even when I bring it with me half the time I can't answer calls in time on my LG phone. There is a finger whoosh that I don't yet have down pat. I missed two of Mr. Dvorkovich's calls as a result last week but finally managed to connect before he gave up.

Oddly enough the number 42 never came up in my search though perhaps it might have in google and if the book had come up I might have been reminded of Zooey Deschanel who will be 42 in 2022 and played a role in the movie of the book.

A lot of people are publishing books online that you can read for free with Kindle unlimited. One book offered a way to disappear which may be a useful thing at some point. I think it offered 25 pages and 25 ways and considerations on how you might disappear. The Amazon sneak peak feature gave about five pages of the solution which is about 20 percent or so what the author is trying to convey. The one review gave up the key finding was that you should go to South America and then get a new identity and make your way to Eastern Europe. That solution seems to offer more problems than its worth. One of my friends lived in Bulgaria but he had to deal with crime and was knocked unconscious by a robber who didn't find his wallet because it was well hidden. I would think that you would be better off staying in South America or just sticking to the back roads of Canada and living off the grid. There are lots of places that are off the grid and every once in a while there is a story about this fine upstanding member of the community being a long lost bank robber or fugitive from American justice.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 09-11-2018 at 03:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Default The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of the dusk.

G.W.F. Hegel famously wrote in his Preface to The Philosophy of Right that "The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of the dusk."

... which means, roughly, that wisdom or understanding of life (Hegel also meant history generally) only comes at the end of it.

Of course, by then, it's too late to change anything anyway. lol.

Happy Trails!

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Meaning of life: To most people I'd say it means somehow winning the rat race, or... whoever has the most when he dies wins.

Many people want a dream job to have... here's a short list of suggestions of mine, though no guarantee the pay is good, if you can get it:

1. Modern day NHL goal judge - no pressure;
    2. Wine taster - every little taste must make you a little happier;
    3. Modern day newspaper columnist - little judgement, skill or research required;
    4. Fortune cookie writer - make people happy without many skills;
    5. National Capital Commission official - obstruct & delay development for fun.

Edit: Here's the wiki re: Meaning of Life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life

Edit: A link to a later thread that may be of interest:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...s-your-beliefs
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 12-28-2019 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Adding link
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

There's nothing quite like getting a team match ready. Kinda peaceful feeling watching the GMs settle in, knowing I'm not gonna understand half their moves lol

France vs. Poland today, totalling 21428 rating points, incredible!