Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    Board Order number 2

1. GM E.Hansen
    2. GM R.Preotu
    3. IM N.Noritsyn
    4. GM E.Bareev
    5. GM A.Hambleton
    Hi Victor:

Thanks for posting this. I had wondered what the board order would be. Could you please outline your reasoning? I seem to recall that in the previous olympiad the idea was to put Bareev up against the "big guns" and then try to give Lesiege as many blacks as possible and give Kovolyov and Hansen as many white's as possible (I realize I'm over-simplifying).

Anyway, just curious about the reasoning for the current order.

Good luck!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Douglas View Post
    Hi Victor:

Thanks for posting this. I had wondered what the board order would be. Could you please outline your reasoning? I seem to recall that in the previous olympiad the idea was to put Bareev up against the "big guns" and then try to give Lesiege as many blacks as possible and give Kovolyov and Hansen as many white's as possible (I realize I'm over-simplifying).

Anyway, just curious about the reasoning for the current order.

Good luck!

Steve
    Board order and round-by-round decisions are parts of the team strategy. That's why I would prefer to answer every question about this line-up after the Olympiad. At the same time, I am ready to answer your questions about Olympiad-2016.

1. In 2016 I had no doubt that Bareev must be on board 1. I always had a very high opinion about Anton's strength and about his ability to play better in important events; but in 2016 I had no reasons to put Evgeny below board 1. Bareev had higher FIDE rating by 30-40 points and had a huge experience. Any other decision could potentially deteriorate the team chemistry.

2. Both Bareev and Kovalyov played all important matches in 2016. Than I say "important", I exclude Honduras (1 round), Tajikistan (2 round) and Indonesia (4 round). I could not manage color for both of them, it was beyond my control. In the reality, Anton played 5 out of 8 important games with white. Again, it was not the result of "color adjusting".

3. By placing Eric on board 4 and LeSiege on board 3, I had in mind the idea of "color adjusting". I don't want to deviate from the standard board order (higher rating = higher board) without any reason, but had enough reasons to do so in 2016. The main idea was to give Eric as many whites as possible.

In the reality, Hansen played 7 out 8 important games with white and score 5.5/7 with white, sometimes against higher-rated opponents. LeSiege played 5 out of 6 important games with black and scored 2/5 against much higher-rated opponents, which is a very good result. Thomas Krnan played 2 out of 2 games with black and scored 1.5/2.

4. Based on these numbers, color adjusting strategy worked very well in 2016 and likely contributed (at least something) to the general success of our Team.

5. I used color adjusting in 2014 and in 2012 as well. In 2014, Bator played all 4 games against 2600+ opponents with white. It was my initial intention to give him mostly white against higher-rated players. He scored 1.5/4 in these games; Sambuev missed a win against Howell (England) and lost, he also lost a dead-draw endgame against India. 1.5/4 was not too bad, but 3/4 could have been much better.

Conclusion: in 2014 this strategy worked OK, but did not improve our performance.

6. In the second half of 2012 Olympiad, than it became clear that Hansen is the best player in our Team, I decide to adjust color for him. Eric played his last 5 games with white and scored 4/5. That time our line-up was Sambuev-Gerzhoy-Noritsyn-Hansen-Porper. As a result of Eric playing only white, both Nikolay and Porper played only black in the second half. Noritsyn scored 2.5/4 and Porper 0.5/3.

Conclusion: in 2012 this strategy worked well and likely improved our team performance.

After 2012 one of the players, IM E.Porper was extremely unhappy with myself as a captain and publicly expressed his negative opinion about the "incompetent amateur".
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 09-17-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    Board order and round-by-round decisions are parts of the team strategy. That's why I would prefer to answer every question about this line-up after the Olympiad. At the same time, I am ready to answer your questions about Olympiad-2016.
    Hi Victor:

Thank-you very much for taking the time to give such a comprehensive explanation. I look forward to watching the team perform this year and I'll look forward to your summary afterwards. From what I can remember there seemed to be very good team chemistry in 2016 which no doubt also helped the final results.

Again, good luck!

Steve